FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #2,491 of 2,808
Shouldn't something this expensive be able sound good out of the box with as little adjustments as possible? I understand tuning to your favourite sound signature, but ya'll seem put a lot of tinkering to get it to sound right. Most I've done was change the filters, tips and pads. I just change the tips to Spiral Dots on my FD7 and more than satisfied.

Apr 22, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #2,492 of 2,808
Shouldn't something this expensive be able sound good out of the box with as little adjustments as possible? I understand tuning to your favourite sound signature, but ya'll seem put a lot of tinkering to get it to sound right. Most I've done was change the filters, tips and pads. I just change the tips to Spiral Dots on my FD7 and more than satisfied.
It is absolutely good. Super good, out of the box. No question about that. It's obvious and no need to have golden ears. 😇

We are talking here about push the natural qualities of the product to their extreme limits... 😉

Like a supercar or a Formula one. Like all the elite products in fact, the effort, the research of the very best (personal best ?... but I find more and more that the famous "subjectivity" is a convenient scapegoat...) implementation is THE key. 🙂

And you have to know how to drive. Quick, fast and well. 😁

The Alliance of Science and Magic, the search for the X Factor, etc.

Nothing less, nothing more 😎👑👍

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #2,493 of 2,808
As always, with true "elite" products...

"Details" are very important :

1/ tips selection (by far the most important thing). My endgame choice : https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/CWU-GECL-Eartips-Isolating-Prevent-Enhanced/dp/B0991RL358. Maximum phonic isolation and maximum precision, definition, resolution, dynamics, etc. without sacrificing nothing at all. No coloration. Maximum CLARITY ! 😎👑
2/ over filtering of the shell vents, 550 value (300 plus 250, 3mm diameter) : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...ced-armature-iem.960580/page-51#post-17389532. This is my tuning contribution. The bottom end became epic (every criteria) but totally under control !!!! Bass and RUMBLE unleashed ! 😎💪
3/ impregnate these tiny paper filters listed above with a (black because it's pretty 🥰) indelible marker : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...ced-armature-iem.960580/page-51#post-17402038. It tighten the (monstrous) bass : maximum impact, precision, articulation. 😎👍
4/ green filters on the canula : treble unleashed ! 😎👌
5/ this cable : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...ced-armature-iem.960580/page-50#post-17364400. Everything unleashed ! 😎🥰🤘

The secret is the implementation in order to exploit the maximum potential of the product.

These five points... : TOTL TIME. 🫣👑🏆😅👉🎉
Cheers Dave, I did your list in reverse, as brought the cable upgrade prior to your original hack/upgrade posts, then got the filters to hear the difference it made and even without the eartips upgrade, the filters made a difference, but have finally took the plunge with eartips.

Apr 22, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #2,494 of 2,808
Cheers Dave, I did your list in reverse, as brought the cable upgrade prior to your original hack/upgrade posts, then got the filters to hear the difference it made and even without the eartips upgrade, the filters made a difference, but have finally took the plunge with eartips.

Could you describe if you noticed any sound upgrade with the new cable? I might consider to upgrade it one day... although do love the default setup a lot.

Apr 22, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #2,496 of 2,808
There will be no noticeable difference, do not waste money on a cable if it is only for "improved sound".

Yeah, I thought so as the stock cable is very solid. THANKS

Apr 22, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #2,498 of 2,808
Could you describe if you noticed any sound upgrade with the new cable? I might consider to upgrade it one day... although do love the default setup a lot.
The stock cable is excellent :beerchug:

The "LC-RE Pro 2022" is more resolved (a little), more solid and lively (all the bandwith, same). The tones and timbres are richer too (same).

Not day and night différences (because the stock cable is REALLY excellent) but sufficient to let the "LC-RE Pro 2022" in da place :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 22, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #2,499 of 2,808
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #2,500 of 2,808
There will be no noticeable difference, do not waste money on a cable if it is only for "improved sound".
Improved? I don’t know because I haven’t experienced yet. But I have heard my IEMs acting all weird with aftermarket cables (including FiiO’s), so “no noticeable difference” is not always the case. Trying to change the sound quality via cable without auditioning is a risky activity though. It’s possibly one would go the opposite direction.

Apr 24, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #2,501 of 2,808
I l have been so impressed with FH9 I picked up the FD7. I'm not the type of person who says one is better than other. I believe different sound signatures can exist in parallel with each other.
My less than scientific description would be;
The FH9 sounds like how you would want music to sound like, big, dynamic and hyper adrenal.
The FD on the other hand sounds how the music actually sounds, natural, balanced and transparent.

I really enjoy both and do wonder if FiiO can actually improve on either.

I've not heard the FH7s so I don't know where they sit but I do think any new flagships from FiiO my well just be aesthetic changes.

The FD7 is now discontinued so the future DD flagship from Fiio might just be round the corner. Whatever comes is going to have a difficult time against that pure beryllium DD.

The FH9 successor will probably bring estats or may be mim drivers again as I think the FH9 is as close to perfect as you can get for the money I struggle to see a huge improvement.

Apr 24, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #2,502 of 2,808
Very interesting :beerchug:

For the part I know :

The FH9 sounds like how you would want music to sound like, big, dynamic and hyper adrenal.

It's not only very well said, but that's exactly what it is. :sunglasses: :L3000:

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #2,503 of 2,808
I l have been so impressed with FH9 I picked up the FD7. I'm not the type of person who says one is better than other. I believe different sound signatures can exist in parallel with each other.
My less than scientific description would be;
The FD on the other hand sounds how the music actually sounds, natural, balanced and transparent.

I really enjoy both and do wonder if FiiO can actually improve on either.

I've not heard the FH7s so I don't know where they sit but I do think any new flagships from FiiO my well just be aesthetic changes.

The FD7 is now discontinued so the future DD flagship from Fiio might just be round the corner. Whatever comes is going to have a difficult time against that pure beryllium DD.

The FH9 successor will probably bring estats or may be mim drivers again as I think the FH9 is as close to perfect as you can get for the money I struggle to see a huge improvement.

Interesting thing is that FH9 bass driver is 13.6mm but on FD7 the single driver is 12mm. Assume the FH9 are using improved version of that driver. I dont have FD7 but have JD7 and this is also single dynamic and its very good especially for its price. Its nowhere to be close to FH9 in terms of quality but it still sounds very impressive and using it for travelling.

I think Fiio will have very hard time to come with something better than FH9 as they do sound superior to anything else I have heard. I would not change or add anything to them perhaps tweaked the tonality a bit (more sub-bass, less upper mids).

Interesting thing was that before I purchased FH9 I did not like their design. Bulky, rounded, boring... but once I received them and hold them in my hands... that design grew on me and now I think they look fantastic. Titanium black shells, golden vents ... simply wow. Im so glad Fiio kept them in reasonable price range as I think these could easily cost 2-3 times more. FH9 are definitely a flagship level iem.

Apr 24, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #2,504 of 2,808
I'm not really surprised because one of my personal references is the Final A8000. So a mono-driver made in pure beryllium too.

Obviously, between models, brands, and of course within Fiio's propre offering, there are differences in tunings...

...but what I noticed with the Final is the PURITY, the CLEARNESS of the reproduction.

The FH9s, and modified in the sense that I indicate, are a guilty pleasure. Everything is big, huge, powerful, bold....

This reminds me a lot some big vintage studio monitors like certain "JBL" models, equipped with 15 or even 18" bass speakers. Big, huge, powerful, bold.... but at the same time precise and detailled. Vintage américan sound, yeah ! :sunglasses:

But not the last word in refinement, transparency or tiny nuances. Not so "Audiophile" than "Musical" (I don't oppose the two approaches at all)... :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #2,505 of 2,808
Interesting thing was that before I purchased FH9 I did not like their design. Bulky, rounded, boring... but once I received them and hold them in my hands... that design grew on me and now I think they look fantastic. Titanium black shells, golden vents ... simply wow. Im so glad Fiio kept them in reasonable price range as I think these could easily cost 2-3 times more. FH9 are definitely a flagship level iem.

Same :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back