FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #1,456 of 2,767
Same to me. Have you read my review of the Dusk? If so, did you made the same experience?

Most people think I'm insane for not liking the Dusk, but it was actually one of the least pleasent experiences I had with any IEM.
I did read it.
It"s the single worst audio purchase I've made. Honestly I prefer silence to listening music with the Dusk. Lol

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #1,457 of 2,767
I did read it.
It"s the single worst audio purchase I've made. Honestly I prefer silence to listening music with the Dusk. Lol
I feel like this about the Mangird Tea. I got it to pair with the FH7 which just stomped all over it in every way other than sub bass and I can't understand all the praise for that headphone.

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #1,458 of 2,767
FH9 is most definitely not shouty. Full bodied sound signature but don't sound like it has too big of a pinna gain. This has been the trend among all the new Fiio earphones this year actually. I know there was some rumblings of folks not liking BA treble in the nozzle from their FH5S and it seems they used BAs in the nozzle for trebles on the FH9 as well but it seems Fiio has done some fine tuning for the treble to mesh much better with the rest of the sound signature this time. They did sound a touch splashy on open listen but that has gone away since burning them in.

So far so good. These sound amazing with EDM, rock and metal. Very versatile sound tuning actually but the bass on these are some of the best I have heard from a Fiio made earphone. For having the full meal deal as far as sound goes including bass. I am surprised how speedy and tight the bass is for having this much bass.

In fact speed metal folks would love these things. Bass keeps up with the tight BA sound just fine on this set.

I will say one thing about the these vs the FD7. FD7 is still king of timbre and natural sound for the recent Fiio line up. The FH9 is more fun sounding. It has a beefy sound.
They sound like a party in your ears. Lol.
This sounds a lot like the XBA-Z5 and they are priced the same.

I am so curious about their sound but in Germany, you can't return In-Ear when you don't like them so I'm still waiting

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #1,459 of 2,767
FH9 has a very pleasing natural tonality. Not dark sounding like the Z5 and they are not prone to being bright either. It sounds big without even using an amp. Mids are more present than both the Z5 and the Z1R. Treble are nicely detailed and most importantly does not step out of bounds like the FH5s original had a tendency to do. Not hearing any grating spikes for the treble tuning. The balancing is nicely done for such a full bored sounding iem.

I would say the FD7 and the FH9 are the most refined Fiio earphones to date while being very musical at the same time. Been jotting my notes about them. The only catch on the FH9 is that they are semi open design and will not be ideal for using on the go.

I did my traffic test and they have a below average passive isolation but otherwise these are the best hybrids by Fiio easily. Love the dynamic Fiio is using on these. It has some juicy bass.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #1,460 of 2,767

I am so curious about their sound but in Germany, you can't return In-Ear when you don't like them so I'm still waiting
I'm sure the XBA-Z5 mids aren't as forward as the FH9 (or as weighty). Details and refinement? Let me dig my Sony out again and I'll give you a quick comparison. Now, I do believe the FH9's already wonderful sound hasn't settled in yet into what it will be after an extensive burn-in process.

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #1,461 of 2,767
FH9 has a very pleasing natural tonality. Not dark sounding like the Z5 and they are not prone to being bright either. It sounds big without even using an amp. Mids are more present than both the Z5 and the Z1R. Treble are nicely detailed and most importantly does not step out of bounds like the FH5s original had a tendency to do. Not hearing any grating spikes for the treble tuning. The balancing is nicely done for such a full bored sounding iem.

It is the most refined Fiio hybrid earphone to date while being very musical at the same time. Been jotting my notes about them. The only catch on them is that they are semi open design and will not be ideal for using on the go.

I did my traffic test and they have a below average passive isolation but otherwise these are the best hybrids by Fiio easily. Love the dynamic Fiio is using on these. It has come juicy bass.
Didn't read your response before I volunteered to listen to my Z5 again, but that's what I was expecting to hear and state. I'll grab mine anyway.

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #1,462 of 2,767
Ah I understand, so maybe more similar to the IER-M7/9 than the Z5/Z1R

Maybe I'll just have to buy them to be sure. They sound interesting, I'm a bit afraid to spend 600€ on something that I don't like. I bought so many IEM that where hyped beyond everything and then disappointed me heavily.

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #1,463 of 2,767
Ah I understand, so maybe more similar to the IER-M7/9 than the Z5/Z1R

Maybe I'll just have to buy them to be sure. They sound interesting, I'm a bit afraid to spend 600€ on something that I don't like. I bought so many IEM that where hyped beyond everything and then disappointed me heavily.

Then just wait. They’ll be there in a month or two if you change your mind.

First impressions are unreliable, no use deciding based on them.

Nov 24, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #1,464 of 2,767

Okay, I've been doing some comparison between the Z5 (with hundreds of hours of burn-in on them) and the FH9 (maybe 10 hours of use at this point). Right off the back, the bass of the Z5 is dark, murky and boomy when compared to the low end of the FH9. The Mids of the Z5 are somewhat recessed compared to the FH9. The soundstage is about the same, but I think the recessed mids in the Sony make it seem like the Z5 has a bit wider of a soundstage. What is clear, however, is that the FH9 is a lot more refined and detailed in its sound compared to the Z5. The Fiio also has a better layering of the sound. There's simply no contest (and I always felt the Z5 was a detailed iem). The sound is way fuller in the FH9 than the Z5 too. The Z5 is still an enjoyable earphone, but it's not punching anywhere near the FH9 in details, clarity, instrument separation and refinement.

Now, I'm curious to hear how the multi-dynamic driver UM 3D Terminator earphone compares to the FH9. I still can't believe this earphone is a Fiio! lol BRB!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #1,467 of 2,767
Well, after breaking in the FH9 for 50 hours and critically listening to it over the past few days, it really pains me to say this, but they are a big disappointment for me.

Perhaps I'm just especially allergic to any of the 'BA tizziness' coloration/distortion in the mids and treble that just about every BA-based IEM I've heard so far has suffered from (to some degree). And unfortunately, the FH9 is no exception. I tried the different nozzles and many different tips, all to no avail. IMHO, the FD7 is better in every sonic category I can think of. It also fits my ear better and I prefer it's thinner cable over the FH9's chunkier cable as well.

For me, FiiO knocked it out of the park with the FD7, and it puts a smile on my face every time I listen to it. But it's not perfect either. It too occasionally suffers from a mild amount of 'raspy' coloration/distortion in the vocal range, but it is WAY less objectionable than what I heard from the FH9. One track I found that really highlighted the problem I had with the FH9's vocal presentation is the song Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves. The FD9's mids really fell apart on it, while it sounded fantastic on the FD7 (and the FD5).

So back to Amazon they will go.

I do respect Dsnuts and others positive opinion of the FH9. They're not a bad sounding IEM. They have a near identical tuning to the FD7 and they also have a huge soundstage, but for the same price, I would hands down take the FD7.

YMMV, of course. I just wanted to offer a counterpoint to the (so far) only positive things that have been said about them.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #1,468 of 2,767
Well, after breaking in the FH9 for 50 hours and critically listening to it over the past few days, it really pains me to say this, but they are a big disappointment for me.

Perhaps I'm just especially allergic to any of the 'BA tizziness' coloration/distortion in the mids and treble that just about every BA-based IEM I've heard so far has suffered from (to some degree). And unfortunately, the FH9 is no exception. I tried the different nozzles and many different tips, all to no avail. IMHO, the FD7 is better in every sonic category I can think of. It also fits my ear better and I prefer it's thinner cable over the FH9's chunkier cable as well.

For me, FiiO knocked it out of the park with the FD7, and it puts a smile on my face every time I listen to it. But it's not perfect either. It too occasionally suffers from a mild amount of 'raspy' coloration/distortion in the vocal range, but it is WAY less objectionable than what I heard from the FH9. One track I found that really highlighted the problem I had with the FH9's vocal presentation is the song Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves. The FD9's mids really fell apart on it, while it sounded fantastic on the FD7 (and the FD5 as well).

I do respect Dsnuts and others positive opinion of the FH9. They're not a bad sounding IEM. They have a near identical tuning to the FD7 and they also have a huge soundstage, but for the same price, I would hands down take the FD7.

YMMV, of course. I just wanted to offer a counterpoint to the (so far) only-positive things that have been said about them.

Something seemed a tad bit off for the FH9 sound for me as well.

Technically speaking, the FH9 is high quality, well extended with no harshness or roll-off on either end, from bass to treble.

The bass though....its clean, but too powerful. The bass makes itself overly present in every song. Interestingly, this has no effect on the vocal and treble clarity, which remain crystal clear. No muddiness whatsoever.

As an example, vocals in this song (0:32 - 1:20, 2:50 - 3:38) are very clean and clearly audible, but the bass is just too overwhelming. Treble filters used.

The FH9 is very unique - technical capabilities are top notch, and every part of the frequency spectrum has some serious power behind it. The bass just has a bit too much power/decay for my liking. Good in small doses though, and a good complement to my ER4SRs. 120 hrs of burn in.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #1,469 of 2,767

For me, FiiO knocked it out of the park with the FD7, and it puts a smile on my face every time I listen to it. But it's not perfect either. It too occasionally suffers from a mild amount of 'raspy' coloration/distortion in the vocal range, but it is WAY less objectionable than what I heard from the FH9. One track I found that really highlighted the problem I had with the FH9's vocal presentation is the song Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves. The FD9's mids really fell apart on it, while it sounded fantastic on the FD7 (and the FD5).

YMMV, of course. I just wanted to offer a counterpoint to the (so far) only positive things that have been said about them.

I agree about the naturalness on the FD7. FH9 is so different in the way it presents music. Music sounds boosted on them like listening through an amp. It seems the sound signature is not to your liking. I would say it will be more matter of preference for sound. FD7 is by far Fiios most natural sounding iem with the best timbre of any of their offerings. The FH9 is got this big full sound going for it and yes it does have BA timbre but the contrast of sound from the FD7 and the FH9 is different.

FH9 is based more on the previous FH5s tuning the FD7 is a more balanced and more refined FD5 tuning. So different signature paths and approaches. I think utilizing two different types of drivers in the FH9. Fiio went for a more immersive dimensional full bodied sound vs more reference balanced sound of the FD7. So while not the most accurate of presentations it is a blast to listen to and again the FH series of phones usually has the most brawny bass so it is a much more colored experience.

The FH9 is by no way anywhere close to being a neutrally tuned reference like tuning. It is a higher end musical tuning which again some will like and some wont. The crazy thing is between the varieties of earphones Fiio has made this year they pretty much got you covered.

I think the advantage of owning a variety of sources I own is that I listen and review so many different types of sound signatures and types of IEMs I tried to get several different types of sources with different signatures to match better with certain earphone tunings The FH9 pairs better with more neutrally tuned sources the FD7 more colored or warmer sounding sources, Shanling daps for example.

FD7 is more for critical listening for vocals and instruments, while the FH9 is more for just blasting some RnB rock metal hip hop and disco enjoying your day. Two very different sounding IEMs.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #1,470 of 2,767
Something seemed a tad bit off for the FH9 sound for me as well.

Technically speaking, the FH9 is high quality, well extended with no harshness or roll-off on either end, from bass to treble.

The bass though....its clean, but too powerful. The bass makes itself overly present in every song. Interestingly, this has no effect on the vocal and treble clarity, which remain crystal clear. No muddiness whatsoever.

As an example, vocals in this song (0:32 - 1:20, 2:50 - 3:38) are very clean and clearly audible, but the bass is just too overwhelming. Treble filters used.

The FH9 is very unique - technical capabilities are top notch, and every part of the frequency spectrum has some serious power behind it. The bass just has a bit too much power/decay for my liking. Good in small doses though, and a good complement to my ER4SRs. 120 hrs of burn in.

I think that is one of the reasons why they are so engaging. The bass end as brawny as it is stays away from the mids and treble. It is how a proper 2.1 presentation should be for in ears. Dont know what Fiio did to get that to work like that. Most earphones with this much bass will muddy up the sound but not so with the FH9. This is where the results of some RnD probably plays a part of the sound signature. How they improved on the FH5s is clearly evident in the FH9

Folks that love them some EDM need to hear how the FH9 presents EDM it is one of very best for trance music due to its sheer authority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back