FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #1,441 of 2,767
We added the black colour for Amazon USA FH9 link. So it took some time for Amazon to process.

Best regards
I only see the silver version on Amazon US. Will there be a black version available?

Nov 22, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #1,443 of 2,767
Introduction to FiiO's Product Line and Update Plan in 2021-From @JamesFiiO: Click here

Chapter 23 The Best Dynamic Driver + Balanced Armature IEMs of FiiO- a preview of FH9.

It has been 8 years since FiiO launched the X3 in 2013 at the price of 200USD, to the recently launched M17 at the price of 1700USD. There are two issues involved here, one is how to view the HiFi products are becoming more and more expensive. Another one is what is the top of the FiiO product line, and how does FiiO set the price of new products.
It is undeniable that the price is indeed getting higher and higher in the market of HiFi earphones. A few years ago, If an audio player or a small pair of earphones was priced at over 10,000, it would definitely shock the market. How could a pair of earphones or an audio player be so expensive? However, think it over, this may be a proof of the development of the HiFi earphones market. Overall, apart from a few high-priced products that continue to break through the market’s imagination, there are also more and more products low-priced products. For example, After the release of X3, there are not only M15 came out with the price of 1300USD, but also the M3/M3K with 70USD, the μBTR with 20USD, and the EM3S of 10USD.
Therefore, for the market and users, as long as not all products of all brands decrease the price floor as a whole, I think the development of the industry is healthy. After all, there is no monopoly in this industry. You can choose not to buy expensive ones, for that there are many products with good quality and affordable price to choose from.
For the second question, it is actually related to FH9. According to FiiO’s plan, we normally have three products in one line aiming to different market: low, mid and high end market. But sometimes, we have to expand our product line to a higher level because of the calls and expectations of our users. Especially when the products of our peers are priced at thousands of dollars, it is true that only three products cannot cover such a wide price range.
In addition, I would also like to explain that, it is not true that the more products models we have, the better situation it will be. Because there are costs (including direct costs and opportunity costs) for doing anything. When the number of models reaches a certain level, the income of the enterprise will decline instead.
Back to FH9, DD+BA IEMs line is currently the most popular earphones product line of FiiO, covering the market from 60USD to 400USD by FH1S, FH3, FH5S and FH7. Especially the FH7, can be considered as FH5S Pro in terms of tuning and design, which is an enhanced version on the basis of FH5. Therefore, this product achieves a great success and is praised by many users. However, it is also true that there is still a lot of room for improvement in terms of pricing when the FH7 is compared with its competing products over 1500USD. In the words of our users, they are not afraid of our high pricing, but afraid of us not planning to make better products with higher price. Because they all know that FiiO makes products with reasonable pricing. If the price goes up, the design, the quality of materials as well as the accessories will certainly keep up.
Therefore, we started the design of FH9 one year ago, and it will be released soon. Regarding to the FH9, I believe it’s quite easy to guess that the number of driver units will definitely more than FH7. The interchangeable plug and semi-open acoustic cavity design shall also be included. But will the cavity material and units bring you surprise? Is there any improvement in sound? Please pay close attention to our new product launch!
😁

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 22, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #1,444 of 2,767
Therefore, we started the design of FH9 one year ago, and it will be released soon. Regarding to the FH9, I believe it’s quite easy to guess that the number of driver units will definitely more than FH7. The interchangeable plug and semi-open acoustic cavity design shall also be included. But will the cavity material and units bring you surprise? Is there any improvement in sound? Please pay close attention to our new product launch!
😁
Wait what....but the FH9 is already released? Lol

So far the FH9 comfort, durability, materials, aesthetics, and accessories are pure class, top notch. In my experience, DLC diaphragms (i.e. Periodic Audio Carbons) take quite a while before they achieve complete mechanical freedom, will be interesting to hear how the sound changes after a hundred hours or so. Especially on such a large diaphragm.

Also looking forward to see FiiO's first >$1k IEM in the coming years

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #1,445 of 2,767
Finally here! Will get to listening now.
FH9.jpg

Real quick initial impressions: Dsnuts - as usual - is on point with the richness of the bass and the fullness of the sound (especially the mids). Vocals are gloriously detailed. I can't quite get a handle of the treble yet, but it's not harsh. Ds and I are both belong to the school of "burn-in", so I need to get more of that in before I can really get into the sound signature. I can say I'm pleased, and I sense a great deal more of refinement to come as the drivers settle in more. The bass is phenomenal (and this is with the balanced filters on). I will say, that a great fit with the right tips is imperative for ultimate enjoyment with this iem. I like Spinfit tips a lot but couldn't get a good seal with the ones included here. So, for a brief second, I thought I was going to be let down by the sound signature. I found some other wide-bore thick silicone tips, and WOW!!!! A great seal is a must! I'm listening through an old DAP workhorse, the Sony NW-ZX100. That's about it right now. I need to listen with my new iMac. I have a new desktop DAC/Amp coming in that I'm excited about. It will be a while before I get to comparing with other earphones, but this is leaps and bounds above the FH5s, and I love the sound of that iem. Happy listening!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #1,446 of 2,767
What a beautiful full cohesive sound in an iem. Kudos, Fiio!

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #1,448 of 2,767
I just pulled the plug on these today, how do they compare to the FD7 or FH7 if you've heard those?
I haven't heard those. I just have the FD5, and the FH5s (and I am quite enamored with its sound signature of the latter). The FH9 is several steps up from the FH5s (and FD5).

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #1,449 of 2,767

So far the FH9 comfort, durability, materials, aesthetics, and accessories are pure class, top notch. In my experience, DLC diaphragms (i.e. Periodic Audio Carbons) take quite a while before they achieve complete mechanical freedom, will be interesting to hear how the sound changes after a hundred hours or so. Especially on such a large diaphragm.

:sweat_smile:Yes, it is released in oversea market first.
Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 23, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #1,450 of 2,767

Large diaphragm? It's direct competition, the XBA-Z5, uses an 16mm^^

Not like that matters, just saying^^

Does anyone own both FA9 and FH9

Do they share their sound signature or is the FH9 totally different?

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #1,452 of 2,767
Large diaphragm? It's direct competition, the XBA-Z5, uses an 16mm^^

Not like that matters, just saying^^

Does anyone own both FA9 and FH9

Do they share their sound signature or is the FH9 totally different?

I did say “large”, not “largest” :wink:

I think Sony is the IEM DD size king, 16mm in their EX1000s too

Relative to the vast majority of DDs tho (which around 10mm), 13.6 is massive, almost double the surface area….again, not like it matters :)

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #1,454 of 2,767
How are they compared to
FD7 or FH7? Getting mine tomorrow.
It's been a long time since I have reviewed the FH7 so I can't tell anything except that the FH9 is definitely a more balanced / natural tuning.
Regarding the FD7 , well this is reserved for the review...

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #1,455 of 2,767
It's good to know that you don't find FH9 shouty. But I had bad experiences with Clairvoyance and especially the Dusk which was way too unnatural for me while a lot of people claimed it was the perfect tuning.
I would say Penon Orb has the perfect amount of pinna gain for me, and the perfect tuning in general for my taste.
Still if anyone can share a graph it would be very helpful. :slight_smile:
Same to me. Have you read my review of the Dusk? If so, did you made the same experience?

Most people think I'm insane for not liking the Dusk, but it was actually one of the least pleasent experiences I had with any IEM.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back