FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #1,081 of 2,780
Seems like Fiio can spruce the crap out of this IEM, but they are too lazy to answer a few basic questions!

Apr 29, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #1,082 of 2,780
Seems like Fiio can spruce the crap out of this IEM, but they are too lazy to answer a few basic questions!
I am noticing more and more manufacturers' support quality waning here. FiiO had been helpful in the past.

@MOONDROP and @WendyLi of KBear have been consistently helpful.

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #1,083 of 2,780
How would the FH5s be different in terms of strengths and weaknesses from the FD5?
Will the FD5 still be produced or is the FH5s meant to make the FD5 redundant? I see that the FD5 is not that easily obtainable where I live anymore, now I'm afraid it will vanish before I have had the time to make up my mind.

The FD5 is FiiO's current 1DD flagship. The FH5s is a 2DD/2BA hybrid that is replacing the FH5.

They are two completely different types of IEMs for different types of preferences.

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #1,084 of 2,780
Personally I loved the tuning of the mids on the FH3, if they keep a similar tonality but with DD timbre then the FH5s could knock it out of the park. I just hope the treble extension is well done.

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #1,085 of 2,780
The FD5 is FiiO's current 1DD flagship. The FH5s is a 2DD/2BA hybrid that is replacing the FH5.

They are two completely different types of IEMs for different types of preferences.

Don't quite agree with that. Would think the FH5s is trying to be more versatile with the switches but I'd assume they both are trying for similar goals perhaps with the FH5S trying to do better in some aspects. With both being 5 series, semi-open and use Be on the dynamic component they are not completely different and should have a "family" sound to them. A good chance IMO with a certain switch config the two could sound somewhat similar.

Apr 29, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #1,086 of 2,780
Don't quite agree with that. Would think the FH5s is trying to be more versatile with the switches but I'd assume they both are trying for similar goals perhaps with the FH5S trying to do better in some aspects. With both being 5 series, semi-open and use Be on the dynamic component they are not completely different and should have a "family" sound to them. A good chance IMO with a certain switch config the two could sound somewhat similar.
I said this once before, saying this again: FD5 is widely acclaimed, and logically Fiio should not introduce a better or similar performing iem at a lesser price. That would mean the golden egg that is FD5 would not remain golden at all, and the planned revenue from that will be negatively impacted. No, I believe FH5s will not sound better or close to FD5, simply to avoid hampering FD5 sales.

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #1,087 of 2,780
I said this once before, saying this again: FD5 is widely acclaimed, and logically Fiio should not introduce a better or similar performing iem at a lesser price. That would mean the golden egg that is FD5 would not remain golden at all, and the planned revenue from that will be negatively impacted. No, I believe FH5s will not sound better or close to FD5, simply to avoid hampering FD5 sales.
If so, outside of perhaps cohesiveness, it won't be close then FiiO drops down IMO of them. Just another Chinese company doing the silly driver number game. If you can use a good and well tested TWFK that you can get a lot out of plus it has enough use and info to be able to tune it well. Then you split the dynamic into two to spread the work and you can't match the single driver then you are playing those number games. The real point of that set up should be to do more than the single driver can. If you can't get more treble extension when adding a TWFK it is kinda bad. If you split the dynamic into 2 and can't get better bass extension it is kinda bad. Why do it then and do it that way. Way too much spenT on the drivers and R&D'ing them in to end up with something not close to the FD5. Again it is another 5 series not a FiiO FD7.

They could have put out something not as costly and a bit more simple and made more profit per unit and fall short of the FD5. So, I don't see the logic of reworking so much for little benefit. Take the FH5 make the 10mm a BE driver, make it semi-open maybe swap one of the armatures for a bit better one, lengthen the bore since that was the major complaint and be done with it.

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #1,088 of 2,780
Nobody expected the FH3 to be as good as it was at the price point, and FiiO seems pretty clearly to be trying to incorporate the successful aspects of past product designs into future ones, rather than hobble new efforts for the sake of boosting sales of past units.

But “the proof is in the pudding,” and the FH5s will ultimately stand or fall on its own.

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #1,089 of 2,780
If so, outside of perhaps cohesiveness, it won't be close then FiiO drops down IMO of them. Just another Chinese company doing the silly driver number game. If you can use a good and well tested TWFK that you can get a lot out of plus it has enough use and info to be able to tune it well. Then you split the dynamic into two to spread the work and you can't match the single driver then you are playing those number games. The real point of that set up should be to do more than the single driver can. If you can't get more treble extension when adding a TWFK it is kinda bad. If you split the dynamic into 2 and can't get better bass extension it is kinda bad. Why do it then and do it that way. Way too much spenT on the drivers and R&D'ing them in to end up with something not close to the FD5. Again it is another 5 series not a FiiO FD7.

They could have put out something not as costly and a bit more simple and made more profit per unit and fall short of the FD5. So, I don't see the logic of reworking so much for little benefit. Take the FH5 make the 10mm a BE driver, make it semi-open maybe swap one of the armatures for a bit better one, lengthen the bore since that was the major complaint and be done with it.
I respect this perspective and that this approach may be frustrating to some. Nonetheless I do look forward to reviews/ impressions, then potentially purchasing it. IAs one who does not currently own a FiiO IEM I am interested in whether they have put out a value-to-performance sweet spot matching my sound signature preferences, and am less concerned where it fit's into their overall product line-up and marketing scheme.

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #1,090 of 2,780
Seems like a savvy move though. People who like new shiny toys will buy the FH5s anyways. All it has to do is beat the IEM it has to replace (FH5), which has been out for a few years now. It will make much more sense to make it worse than the FD5, so people will only like their FD5 purchase even more (value). I seriously doubt it's hampering FD5 sales. On the contrary it seems they are pulling all the stops to make the FD5 shine more even the MMCX assist on the FH5s is worse than on the FD5. For people unfamiliar with Fiio this would be a very smart move to push people to either the FH3 or FD5. With the right amount of 'hype' towards these two IEMS the perceived value will increase exponentially.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #1,091 of 2,780
How to choose suitable earphones among FH5S, FD5, EM5 and FA7?
Recently, we updated the successor of the FH5 in our product line of hybrid earphones. Under the circumstances of great improvement in many aspects, including the design, materials, configuration and accessories, the FH5s was priced at 249.99 USD (US market), which was totally beyond your expectation.

So, at this price range, FiiO has four completely different types of earphones- the fresh 2BAs+2DDs hybrid IEMs FH5s (249.99 USD), the collectible-grade single dynamic IEMs FD5 (299.99 USD), the 3D printing 4 balanced armatures IEMs FA7 (299.99 USD) and the open earbuds EM5 (299.99 USD) with a characteristic styling.

I believe that many users may have some questions. Like how to choose the right one among these products at similar prices? And why is the FD5 with just a dynamic driver more expensive than the FH5s with four drivers hybrid? What does FiiO think?

Therefore, we made a table in the form of both graphics and texts to compare the four earphones. From my personal point of view, it's like sports cars. At the same price range, Porsche provided four types of totally different vehicles, the 911 sports car, Cayenne SUV, Taycan and Palamela. They have different positioning to meet different needs, which can not be simply ranked. So do the FH5s, FD5, EM5 and FA7. We should choose the most appropriate one.

The parts of the listening sense in the table are for reference only. The maximum score is 10, which only represents the characteristics under horizontal comparisons among the four types of FiiO earphones. But for sure, some of them are based on scientific evidence. The following are some general rules.

1. Comparison of soundstage: speaker>over-ear>flat-head>in-ear; Semi-open in-ear>Sealed in-ear.
2. The larger the sound tube, the better the bass. The smaller the sound tube, the better the treble. The bass and mids of the dynamic driver are better than that of the balanced armature. Treble extension and resolution of the balanced armature are better than that of the dynamic driver.
3. The harder the dynamic driver diaphragm, the less the split vibration and the smaller the treble distortion.
4. The sound insulation of the flat-head is worse than that of the in-ear, which will thus affect the resolution and bass extension to a certain extent.
QQ图片20210430181726.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 30, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #1,092 of 2,780
Nobody expected the FH3 to be as good as it was at the price point, and FiiO seems pretty clearly to be trying to incorporate the successful aspects of past product designs into future ones, rather than hobble new efforts for the sake of boosting sales of past units.

But “the proof is in the pudding,” and the FH5s will ultimately stand or fall on its own.
I would LOVE them to do a FH3s or something

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #1,093 of 2,780
I respect this perspective and that this approach may be frustrating to some. Nonetheless I do look forward to reviews/ impressions, then potentially purchasing it. IAs one who does not currently own a FiiO IEM I am interested in whether they have put out a value-to-performance sweet spot matching my sound signature preferences, and am less concerned where it fit's into their overall product line-up and marketing scheme.
I don't think it's a very reasonable perspective. The FH5s is at least a very interesting concept and not even close to 'just stuffing more drivers into an IEM'. And i don't see how anybody can claim that it won't be as good or better than the FH5 without being clairvoyant. At this point this amounts to nothing more than negativity backed by conjecture.

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #1,094 of 2,780
Fiio should have sent out a few products for review before the launch date. That way they would have got more sales instead of a lot of people holding off, like me.

I still think its going to be the dogs bollocks!

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,095 of 2,780
Are those scores based on a sound quality perspective or a quantity? It seems like the FH5s has a bit lower bass quality/quantity than the FD5 and might come out as a bit "brighter". I hope the tunning switched can compensate it a little 😝

Users who are viewing this thread

Back