FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #1,066 of 2,780
The masses have only been able to order them starting yesterday. Maybe some reviewers have them in-hand already.

I was going to blindly order the FH5s but the price shell game was a buzzkill. This being the second price shift on FiiO IEMs in a very short time period leaves me wary of FiiO. They have damaged my trust.
I don't understand the price shift thing. They said it's 249 on the US market, and they sell it for 259 including shipping from China. Just because you are registered from the US doesn't make AliExpreas suddenly part of the US market. I think I'm missing something here.

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #1,067 of 2,780
I don't understand the price shift thing. They said it's 249 on the US market, and they sell it for 259 including shipping from China. Just because you are registered from the US doesn't make AliExpreas suddenly part of the US market. I think I'm missing something here.
If Aliexpress can figure your shipping charges to the US they can figure out the price for the US. Am I missing something as I think it is pretty straightforward?

FiiO did not say US distributers. FiiO said US market. A person living in the US would be a part of that market. Correct me if I am wrong.

The FD5 price switch was worse. When you add the FD5 and the FH5s’ price switches that makes me think that either:
1. FiiO has poor communication between divisions and/or
2. They will see what they can get away with before consumers lose trust and revolt.

Look at Google and others with their pushing the creepy red line further and further...

What other manufacturer is doing these type of price switches? If there are a number of them, I will stand down.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #1,068 of 2,780
If Aliexpress can figure your shipping charges to the US they can figure out the price for the US. Am I missing something as I think it is pretty straightforward?
Well yeah, but I just find it a bit much to talk about a bait and switch like you said earlier, when a product is $10 more expensive than advertised even though it's shipped across the world "without charge". You mentioned this twice and say they have "damaged your trust" which makes it seem like a big deal but maybe I just don't get it. I always understand a MSRP as the lowest price excluding shipping, maybe this is different in the US.

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #1,069 of 2,780
Well yeah, but I just find it a bit much to talk about a bait and switch like you said earlier, when a product is $10 more expensive than advertised even though it's shipped across the world "without charge". You mentioned this twice and say they have "damaged your trust" which makes it seem like a big deal but maybe I just don't get it. I always understand a MSRP as the lowest price excluding shipping, maybe this is different in the US.
When a company promises a price, twice, and then changes it once the item goes to market, that is shifty. Two broken promises. I see that as getting nigh dishonest. Either don't announce the price prior or keep to your announced price. Others may see it different. That is cool.

Also, I was ordering from the FiiO store on AliExpress. Isn't it FiiO that sets the price there or does AliExpress?

In the US, you generally only pay MSRP when there is no other option. Sales and coupons for us! :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #1,070 of 2,780
When a company promises a price, twice, and then changes it once the item goes to market. That is shifty. Two broken promises. I see that as getting nigh dishonest. Either don't announce the price prior or keep to your announced price. Others may see it different. That is cool.

Also, I was ordering from the FiiO store on AliExpress. Isn't it FiiO that sets the price there or does AliExpress?

In the US, you generally only pay MSRP when there is no other option. Sales and coupons for us! :wink:
Must be a local thing then, pricing of the fd5 seems fine where I live. The I never fully understood us market, but as a European I know that when a manufacturer from any origin says it's going to cost $X, I'm usually paying more than €X :p.

Speaking about the FD5, either that or the FH5s is probably going to be my next IEM. So @FiiO a couple of questions.
How would the FH5s be different in terms of strengths and weaknesses from the FD5?
Will the FD5 still be produced or is the FH5s meant to make the FD5 redundant? I see that the FD5 is not that easily obtainable where I live anymore, now I'm afraid it will vanish before I have had the time to make up my mind.

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #1,071 of 2,780
Dear friend,

In terms of high frequencies, the time-tested Knowles 30017 BA was used for less high-frequency loss and better extension, giving the FH5s its exquisite treble.
The diaphragm of FD5's 12mm dynamic driver is using beryllium-coated diamond-like carbon (DLC).
And the FH5s is using 6mm beryllium-plated diaphragm dynamic drivers+12mm beryllium-plated+PU gasket dynamic driver instead.

Best regards
Thanks. Does FH5s have 1 or 2 balanced armature units? It says 2 BA's but your explanation above doesn't make that fully clear. if 2, are they both the Knowles 30017?

Apr 27, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,073 of 2,780
Apr 27, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #1,075 of 2,780
FiiO did not say US distributers. FiiO said US market. A person living in the US would be a part of that market. Correct me if I am wrong.
I would define the US market as both parties, but more so the seller. In FiiO’s case, this’ll be when they resell through Amazon.

Not to defend FiiO’s recent practice of forcing express shipping (on newly released items, on their AE page), with an added up charge. But with the FD5 I was hesitant to do a blind buy. So waiting for Amazon to get stock allowed me to garner feedback from early adopters. I’ll be doing the same with the FH5s, as I already have the FD5 & FH5. And I’m not lookin for a side grad.

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #1,076 of 2,780
I would define the US market as both parties, but more so the seller. In FiiO’s case, this’ll be when they resell through Amazon.

Not to defend FiiO’s recent practice of forcing express shipping (on newly released items, on their AE page), with an added up charge. But with the FD5 I was hesitant to do a blind buy. So waiting for Amazon to get stock allowed me to garner feedback from early adopters. I’ll be doing the same with the FH5s, as I already have the FD5 & FH5. And I’m not lookin for a side grad.
It all depends on FiiO’s definition of “US market”.

Markets

One last thing and then I am done beating this horse: if the tables were turned and I decided at the last minute to pay $10 less than the posted price for the FH5s, would FiiO accept my sudden change in terms?

The FH5s has potential. @RikudouGoku brought up good points about the Knowles BA though. Is the BA unit up to the task to compete with the $300 range tier?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #1,077 of 2,780
good points about the Knowles BA though. Is the BA unit up to the task to compete with the $300 range tier
Agree, I will wait for a few reviews especially on this point.

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #1,078 of 2,780
When a company promises a price, twice, and then changes it once the item goes to market, that is shifty. Two broken promises. I see that as getting nigh dishonest. Either don't announce the price prior or keep to your announced price. Others may see it different. That is cool.

Dear friend,

The price in Amazon USA will be 249.99USD but the price in Aliexpress store is not the same. You could wait and buy one from Amazon USA instead when it is available next month. And if you find the price of FH5s is higher or lower than 249.99USD in Amazon USA, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 28, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #1,079 of 2,780
When will these be available in the UK? And what will the price be on Amazon. I don't buy of A.E, takes to long and they don't replace stuff if its broken.

I can wait a month. My T3 is still running strong after almost a year. But the FH5's looks amazing.

Keep the price correct and it'll sell loads.

I'm dying for a review.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back