FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #62 of 2,767
I read on another forum that replacement cables for the FH3 is recommended. Can anyone comment on this. If there are upgrades to the cable, can you also recommend one.

How much are you willing to spend? There's a big sale coming in 2 days on Aliexpress, so keep an eye on these:

FAAEL cable is the most recommendable around on a budget for its looks, litz configuration, and low resistance measurements, US $12.70 - 14.19: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000400771561.html
This one from NiceHCK a lot of people like it too, US $18.66 - 20.06: https://aliexpress.com/item/4000103265162.html
If you want something fancier with modular connectors with balanced options, DUNU DUW02 $79 for the standard version and $95 for the 3.5mm + balanced: https://aliexpress.com/item/4000898512134.html? (There's a $6 coupon on this store to sweeten the deal)

If you like the silver looks I'd check out the TRN T3 or the NiceHCK 4n Litz.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #63 of 2,767
I read on another forum that replacement cables for the FH3 is recommended. Can anyone comment on this. If there are upgrades to the cable, can you also recommend one.
How much are you willing to spend?

There's a big sale coming in 4 days on Aliexpress, so keep an eye on these:

FAAEL cable is the most recommendable around on a budget, US $12.70 - 14.19: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000400771561.html
This one from NiceHCK a lot of people like it too, US $18.66 - 20.06: https://aliexpress.com/item/4000103265162.html
If you want something fancier with modular connectors with balanced options, DUNU DUW02 $79 for the standard version and $95 for the 3.5mm + balanced: https://aliexpress.com/item/4000898512134.html? (There's a $6 coupon on this store to sweeten the deal)

I really don’t think the stock FH3 cable is bad, it’s just flat and a bit stiff, so it can sometimes be unwieldy. I agree with the recommendations that rggz listed, and can vouch that the NiceHCK copper cable sounds good on the FH3. I also like the Tripowin Zonie 16 cable on the FH3, if you perhaps just want to get an affordable cable on Amazon. I didn’t really like the sonic balance with a pure silver cable, the TRN T3.

Aug 21, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #64 of 2,767
The FH3 needs Powahhh!!!.
I swapped the cable, to an inexpensive 2.5mm balanced, for my Qudelix-5K to properly drive the FH3.
1598060059539.png

The stock SE cable is fine, as long as it's attached to an amp. During the interim, of your transition to balanced.

Aug 21, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #65 of 2,767
The FH3 needs Powahhh!!!.
I swapped the cable, to an inexpensive 2.5mm balanced, for my Qudelix-5K to properly drive the FH3.
1598060059539.png
The stock SE cable is fine, as long as it's attached to an amp. During the interim, of your transition to balanced.

You've got me curious so I checked out the FH3's impedance and sensitivity, which is 24Ω@1KHz and 114dB@1mW using this tool http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html I got this result:

chrome_2020-08-21_23-12-31.png

It seems fairly easy to drive? Personally, most of the time I listen to music below 100dB. So what's the biggest difference when you move to balanced and get more power?

Aug 21, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #66 of 2,767
You've got me curious so I checked out the FH3's impedance and sensitivity, which is 24Ω@1KHz and 114dB@1mW using this tool http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html I got this result:

chrome_2020-08-21_23-12-31.png

It seems fairly easy to drive? Personally, most of the time I listen to music below 100dB. So what's the biggest difference when you move to balanced and get more power?
I personally find it easy to drive, and doesn’t need extra power to “come alive”, unlike Final Audio E IEMs.

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #67 of 2,767

On my iPad, Note 3 (backup phone) and Note 4: The FH3‘s playback is distant, across the frequency response.

...It seems fairly easy to drive? Personally, most of the time I listen to music below 100dB. So what's the biggest difference when you move to balanced and get more power?
I don't blast my IEMs either.

I've identified the FH3 as my go to for my more *energetic genres, where the kick drums and the synthesized sub bass needs to be felt, as well as heard. On my previously mentioned equipment, the FH3 can't get to the finish line, they gas out. Once connected to my Qudelix-5K (even on the stock SE cable), the FH3 becomes a world class sprinter; on a balanced cable they get to Usain Bolt levels.

*90's "Rock": Metallica, Sound Garden,... & 90's - early 2000's HipHop

I personally find it easy to drive, and doesn’t need extra power to “come alive”, unlike Final Audio E IEMs.
Just for my research (as I'm considering getting a new phone), what are you connecting your FH3 to ?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #68 of 2,767
Just for my research (as I'm considering getting a new phone), what are you connecting your FH3 to ?
Direct old iPhone 6s or via Dragonfly Cobalt. It gets a lot more power via the DFC, and while it does sound better, it‘s not that big a difference to me. This is just what I personally hear, or don’t hear though. Sorry, I can’t help with a new phone suggestion.

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #69 of 2,767
On my iPad, Note 3 (backup phone) and Note 4: The FH3‘s playback is distant, across the frequency response.

I've identified the FH3 as my go to for my more *energetic genres, where the kick drums and the synthesized sub bass needs to be felt, as well as heard. On my previously mentioned equipment, the FH3 can't get to the finish line, they gas out. Once connected to my Qudelix-5K (even on the stock SE cable), the FH3 becomes a world class sprinter; on a balanced cable they get to Usain Bolt levels.

LG series (G and V) have the best dac/amp in smartphones. But even they cant compare to a dedicated dap like the Fiio M11/Ibasso DX160.

You can probably get an old LG phone for much cheaper than a dap though, and that includes all the phones features too :joy:

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #70 of 2,767
LG series (G and V) have the best dac/amp in smartphones. But even they cant compare to a dedicated dap like the Fiio M11/Ibasso DX160.

You can probably get an old LG phone for much cheaper than a dap though, and that includes all the phones features too :joy:
When I was younger (early 1990's) I enthusiastically hung so much crap (fullsized Palm organizer, multi-tool, flashlight, cellphone, beeper) off of my belt, I'm surprised I didn't get a hernia. Now I'm down to a cellphone, (either) ES100/Qudelix-5K and the FOB (for the car). I don't think a DAP is in my future.

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #71 of 2,767
When I was younger (early 1990's) I enthusiastically hung so much crap (fullsized Palm organizer, multi-tool, flashlight, cellphone, beeper) off of my belt, I'm surprised I didn't get a hernia. Now I'm down to a cellphone, (either) ES100/Qudelix-5K and the FOB (for the car). I don't think a DAP is in my future.
If you want to use a bluetooth source (es100, BTR5...) then it doesnt really matter what phone you use as long as it has all the codecs (well...bluetooth stability is a good thing to check too).

So if you just want a price worthy phone I would recommend you take a look at some xiaomi, redmi, pocophone and realme phones. They all offer very good specs for much cheaper than the more mainstream brands (extremely overpriced in my opinion).

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #72 of 2,767
Just use any phone with usb type c and buy that usb dongle meizu pro or sonata HD, they sounded great too. I compared directly with my LG v40, they are no slouch. Of course different story when compared to DX160 especially high gain mode

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #73 of 2,767
How does fh3 compares to CA16? Maybe someone has both and can share their thoughts about it :)

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #74 of 2,767

Oh, I see. I wasn't even considering the other stuff, just the Qudelix. I thought the Qudelix would drive the FH3 via SE with such ease and reading your post I read it as the balanced was a must, but as IEMusic said, when there's a balanced option usually they put more effort in there, so that makes sense you get a more refined experience Thanks for clarifying things up.

ATM I only have a Lotoo PAW S1 + S20 but I don't recommend it with a phone, there's an annoying LTE faint noise when I use it with my phone so it ended up being my laptop solution. Probably I will give a chance to BT life with the qudelix too, the device and PEQ look very good 👍.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back