FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #46 of 2,767
Maybe you have a way to measure the nozzle diameter on FH3? Many thanks :)
Looks like it is about 0.5 cm measured with a simple straight ruler.

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #48 of 2,767
Aug 14, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #50 of 2,767
Does anyone know a nice black cable that is <$50? I'd like to match the shell and cable color. I liked the Tanchjim braided upgrade cable but unfortunately, it's not available for MMCX and I'm not willing to use an adapter (kinda fiddly).

Aug 15, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #52 of 2,767
Aug 16, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #53 of 2,767
I previously ordered the FH3 on Amazon, and it was scheduled to be delivered in a little over a week from now. I think I last checked the status yesterday, so imagine my surprise when I see this laying my one dining room table this afternoon! Very first impression, these are special.

F4F8340E-CBAF-41F9-B46D-433207D3A84E.jpeg
8EBDEDC8-6DB2-4507-AEF6-44D79B0AB359.jpeg

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #55 of 2,767
I'm in a weird headspace right WRT gear in general, and IEMs in particular. It's been years since I came to the conclusion this hobby does not supersede a multitude of other things for me. Thus, no more spending more than, say, $750 all-in (meaning including any "necessary" upgrade cable, tips, etc) for IEMs.

With that said, acquiring multiple lower cost IEMs does not interest me either, as I am most definitely not of a collector's mindset. The issue, I've found, is that the so-called mid-priced (that I arbitrarily define as $300 to $750...I know, wide range) market is full of pretenders. Maybe not more than the lower cost, but I just mean in this $ range, it has more potential to hurt if a purchasing mistake is made. Of course, this is my preferred target price range given my predilections, so here I am, trying to re-acclimate myself to this hobby after being away for years, learning which brands to trust.

This is a long-winded way of me saying the FH3 fall in a price category that is tricky for me. It's nearing the point of too expensive for me to be a mere beater set, relegated to laptop use for Youtube and movie/tv watching, while at the same time, realistically, not quite able to play with the best of the mid-priced stuff. I dunno...maybe I'm looking at this all wrong.

The one thing that is making me consider this set, however, is a possible synergy with an old source+amp setup I "found" a couple weeks ago in a desk drawer; a setup I hadn't used in at least 3 years, 1stGen Meridian Explorer USB DAC > Headstage Arrow 4G

IMG-0999.jpg

Part of me wants to find a "decent" set to use with this setup, but at the same time, given the likelihood it won't be used all that often, I don't want to spend too much either. In walks the FH3. I appreciate all the takes provided by users here. It is very helpful, even if somewhat enabling, hahahaha.

Aug 18, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #56 of 2,767
Waiting for these to be available in the UK Amazon store. Is there any estimate, @FiiO ?

Might get them instead of spending over triple on something else.
Dear user,

Thanks for your interest in our FH3. We haven't arranged sending the FH3 to the UK seller yet. Or you may consider getting one from our Aliexpress store instead:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001308795909.html

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 18, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #58 of 2,767
I took the plunge and ordered via AliExpress with a coupon. Looking forward to auditioning them!
What store does have them with a coupon? :)

Aug 18, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #59 of 2,767
Continuation from prior(link) post:

Very quick summary:
(24 hrs. on both)
Spotify Premium --> Note 4 --> Radsone ES100 --> SE cable

Sub bass, within a hair of one another. The ever so slight nuance could be attributed to either acceptable production tolerances with the DDs or the FH3 may need more time in the oven. As the crossover would limit the amount of signal being sent to the DD, in the FH3

Vocals, FH3 is the clear winner (as expected). Clearer and more presence. Enough to notice, but if you already have either the FD1/EA1, the upgrade would have to factor in the cost vs. benefit.

Mids are clear on both sets, but due to the BAs (on the FH3), the nod goes to the FH3

Treble, unable to properly test. As my right ear decided to be a Primadonna today and be overly sensitive.

The FH3 definitely needs added power. Plugged directly into my phone, the overall playback was thin/distant. No bueno

Took a bit of wrestling, to get the MMCX cable out of the right earpiece. So that I could start using a *balanced cable connection to my Qudelix-5K
I use a rubber band as an impromptu strap grip or as a last resort, the Terminal removal pry bar (link to Amazon)
MMCX Band grip.jpg

As Fiio advertised, the beryllium DD runs deep, with a speedy recovery.

I was a bit concerned about the BA (I believe it's the ED-30262, not the RAD-33158) being once again placed in the nozzle. As the CCA CA16's sideways mounted BA has gotten so much praise for literally not shouting in your ear. But in a head to head comparison, the CA16 comes up lacking. There's a depth/fullness missing (in the CA16) between the bass notes and the vocals; which is more noticeable on male vocals.

I've found (for my choices in music) the FH3 excels at 90's Rock and early 2000s HipHop (pre Auto-Tune)
For example:
"Enter Sandman", Metallica
"Black Hole Sun", Sound Garden
"Get Low", Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz
"Goodies", Mrs. Russell Wilson

I'm currently transitioning to Amazon Music, HD (link to 90 day, free trial). So I'll have to follow up with a more detailed review, once I get more familiar with the new source.

*As I mentioned in my previous post, the FH3 needs POWER; they sound deficient when directly attached to either my iPad or my phone (Note 3).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back