FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #2,731 of 2,767
Hello everybody, hope you are doing well.

I am currently using Fiio FH9 for one year with Chord Mojo 2 and I am verry happy with them. However I am looking a little bit for an upgrade, just because I want and not because I need it, there is nothing wrong with FH9 :).

So is there anyone who upgraded from Fiio FH9 to something better? What would you advice please?

Nov 24, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #2,733 of 2,767
Hello everybody, hope you are doing well.

I am currently using Fiio FH9 for one year with Chord Mojo 2 and I am verry happy with them. However I am looking a little bit for an upgrade, just because I want and not because I need it, there is nothing wrong with FH9 :).

So is there anyone who upgraded from Fiio FH9 to something better? What would you advice please?
Hi my friend,

Franckly, the FH9 can really to be at the best TOTL level :

1/ you can tweak the vents (shell : overfiltering). Value 250, 3mm : here for instance : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005004052480882.html?af=171752&afref=https://www.comparedaddy.com/search?q=golo.com&source=1451866&zid=3w9YSu8erqsPd9&cv=12&dp=12::171752::1c0248dkk1e7::::1699006466&cn=15643&aff_fcid=8275acc84ea64468ad6933bd659bd5da-1699006467042-07743-Y7bAZbY&aff_fsk=Y7bAZbY&aff_platform=aaf&sk=Y7bAZbY&aff_trace_key=8275acc84ea64468ad6933bd659bd5da-1699006467042-07743-Y7bAZbY&terminal_id=a4baf7b1327f4bb0b62b495ee83360e4&afSmartRedirect=y

1700834230968.png

2/ For the aforementioned filters, impregnate the membrane with an indelible marker (black because it's prettier). This stiffens the membrane. Even best bass quality.

3/ For the canula, green filters

4/ For the cable, try absolutely the Ares S 8 wires or best, the Eros S (Effect Audio). It's just ridiculously incredible, sound wise (ergonomics remains very good, as the stock cable). Really. Must try. I insiste.

5/ With your DAP, if you can set the digital filters, try the "minimum phase" filter = a little "analogue" touch. The fh9's love that move very much !!!

6/ About the tips : https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/CWU-GECL-Eartips-Isolating-Prevent-Enhanced/dp/B0991RL358?th=1. These are the perfect tips for me : everything. Problem solved for years, from now on. And every pair is long-lasting (Nothing in common with the Xelastec for instance). But... you need to fit them...

So it is far less pricey than an another pair of iems, and really... you have already a TOTL level product in your hands.

I can say that because I have compared these "FH9 Dsw tuned" with quite a list of said "TOTL".... (Kr5, XE6, Infinity mk2, A8000, Z1r, Zombie Max, Erlkonig, Phoenix, VE7, etc... to name a few).

All these products are good to very good... but not a problem at all for the "FH9 Dsw tuned"... :beerchug:

Well, I haven't listened them yet, but the Sound rhyme DTE900 seem to be incredibly good... Or the Monarch mk (2... 3 : same).

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #2,734 of 2,767
I agree. FH9 is a great one.
As more of a sidegrade, a different, complementary flavour,try if you can some of the popular tribids from Thieaudio (Monarch mkIII, Prestige LTD), Letshuoer(EJ07m,EJ09), FiiO FX15,
But try them. I've had the SoundRhyme DTE900 and i think the FH9 is way better.

Nov 24, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #2,735 of 2,767
Yes : only one way to know.

Try, try, try.

We cannot listen with other people's ears.

But actually, I think, in relation to the FH9s, that there is a common and widespread idea, which implies that they cannot compare, favorably, to the most hyped TOTLs on the market.

I am one of those who think this is a false idea. :k701smile:

Particularly because there are not that many products (regardless of the prices ; in general, the more expensive it is, the more deliberately distinctive it is) that are so homogeneous (all qualities considered) and so well balanced. And they scale just enormously. Their threshold is really very high. And they are not colored. Much less than average in fact. which can be a quality or a flaw... For me, this is a quality.
My 2 cts. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #2,736 of 2,767
Yes : only one way to know.

Try, try, try.

We cannot listen with other people's ears.

But actually, I think, in relation to the FH9s, that there is a common and widespread idea, which implies that they cannot compare, favorably, to the most hyped TOTLs on the market.

I am one of those who think this is a false idea. :k701smile:

Particularly because there are not that many products (regardless of the prices ; in general, the more expensive it is, the more deliberately distinctive it is) that are so homogeneous (all qualities considered) and so well balanced. And they scale just enormously. Their threshold is really very high. And they are not colored. Much less than average in fact. which can be a quality or a flaw... For me, this is a quality.
My 2 cts. :beerchug:
I second this I followed the @DaveStarWalker mods and use the EROS S AE cable the only change I use the Divinus Velvet tips that suit my ears best. Just an incredible iem I've spent way more on iems that don't come close.

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #2,739 of 2,767
@o0genesis0o Will you review the new JH5? I'm interested in how does it compare with JD7.
I’m unlikely to review this IEM, though I would share some impressions in this thread if my local hifi store has a demo unit that I can borrow.

Some of my thoughts about this IEM based on the marketing materials, from the perspective of a consumer:
  • I like the fact that FiiO uses 3d printed shells here. Some budget brands use clear, hollow plastic shells and they don’t look good in real life at all.
  • Judging based on the graph, I can expect an adjusted harman tuning with thicker note weight and midbass. I would expect vibrant upper midrange, slightly recessed mid-midrange (just like a full harman IEM).
  • There wouldn’t be any surprise in the treble, since it follow Harman target and rolls off after upper midrange peak (if treble is higher than 3kHz, that’s when you should be careful).
  • FiiO hybrid series has always had nice bass. I can expect the same here.
  • Unknowns: resolution, soundstage, and timbre.
  • That pointy peak at 3kHz is also a bit concerning to me.
Hope these points help.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #2,740 of 2,767
Anybody had a chance to compare FH9 vs DTE900? Im worried that DTE900 wont be overal improvement over the FH9.

Any preferred cable over the original pure silver one? I assume full copper cable would sound way better.

If you guys found some cable improvements up to 120$ please share.

Also there was a dedicated thread to FH9, was this removed or something? Or is this the one but renamed?

Thank you

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #2,741 of 2,767
Anybody had a chance to compare FH9 vs DTE900? Im worried that DTE900 wont be overal improvement over the FH9.

Any preferred cable over the original pure silver one? I assume full copper cable would sound way better.

If you guys found some cable improvements up to 120$ please share.

Also there was a dedicated thread to FH9, was this removed or something? Or is this the one but renamed?

Thank you
About the DTE900 I don't know. I think this one is more V shaped, maybe more warm, but it's only based on diverse readings and target curves. So I don't really know.

About the cable, you're right. Full copper or hybrid metallurgy = best.

I am thinking about the Effect Audio Ares S, 4w, second hand to fill the bill. 👍

No dedicated thread as I know. 😜

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #2,742 of 2,767
Fh9 (DSW Tuned) plus Effect Audio Eros S cable = definitely a great (I mean really great) pairing 😎👍

PXL_20240111_222108894~2.jpg

Great textures, density but clarity, agility, rich tones, balance, great dynamics, fast transients, holography, air, extension... It also instills a finesse and a class that until now I was missing a little.

DSW fully approved 😉

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #2,743 of 2,767

Right? I have been a long time lurker and noticed both FH7S and FH9 whole threads disappearing. Maybe they were merged against this one? It makes sense from the previous pages as I remember some of the discussions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back