FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #2,612 of 2,806
walker stop flooding.
poskus, stop your questions then. :sweat_smile:

And if the answers doesn't fits you, It's too bad.

About your interrogation, "more drivers" cannot mean "a better result". Or the contrary.

No way. Sorry to tell you so abruptly, but that's a purely analog thinking. :slight_frown:

Only comparative listening, all things being equal, can decide. Or not.
Have a nice day.:beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #2,613 of 2,806
im compared meze rai penta via bt adapter vs my noble mystique tws and both at lhdc codec shows same sound and details. noble 1DD 2BA vs meze 1DD 4BA. so ,1DD 6BA is not changes sound if upgrade to fh9? must look for more drivers IEms ?
Its not that simple.

A lot of earphone have several drivers that play in the exact same frequency range. The only reason to do this is, that its louder. Balanced Armatures start to distort pretty fast, so when you're listening at high volumes, there can be audible distortion.

That is why Dual BAs have been invented. Instead of one BA that blows at full volume, you have two BA that blow at 50% and so you have no nasty distortion.

But modern BAs are so optimized, you would have to listen to music way beyond 100db to hear the difference in distortion, so all these insane high BA count IEMs are mostly a lot of marketing.

What is more important is how many crossover you have.

If you have 1 BA or 5 BA covering the exact same frequency range will only improve distortion but otherwise have zero or negative effect on the Sound quality.

The FiiO FA9 for example has 6 BAs, but it is a 3 Way System (always 2 BA cover the same range). So its Bass - Mids - Treble
The IER-M9 has 5 BAs, but it is a 5 Way system which are more complex and expensive to develop, but have much better sound. So its Sub - Lo Mids, Hi Mids, Lo Treble, Hi Treble

Then it matters if you have an hard cross over (one BA is only responsible for its frequency range and nothing else) or an soft crossover (that means several BA play the note to a different amount.

Soft crossover are, again, way more complex and expensive to build, but you don't have this harsh and direct timbre change when the sound jumps from one BA to another.

On an Soft Crossover Multi BA IEM, 3 BAs can be responsible to play 1kHz (to different amounts, of course, otherwise it would make no sense). So if a sound goes from 500 Hz to 2 kHz, it "softly" travels around the BAs and so it will not suddenly change its sound, when it goes from one BA to another.

Then you have Soundpipes. With soundpipes its much easier to tune and you have the big advantage that the material/size/form of the housing doesn't matter. But soundpipes, as many say, kill the sound.

An IEM that doesn't use soundpipes is way more complex to build and tune, but will sound way more natural than any IEM with sound pipes.

And then there are company who buy universal BAs and modify them with acoustic resistors and stuff like that and companys who develpo their own BAs und make them exactly how they want them to sound out of the box.

So what you want is not more quantity (aka more drivers), what you want is more quality. And that is a very complex topic people could easily discuss for hours.

The Vision Ears EVE20 for example is an 3-way 6BA System. The FiiO FA9 is an 3-way 6BA System. Still, the EVE20 (even though its heavily overpriced, but thats a different topic) sound significantly better. Not that much better that its worth its price, but even identical driver confiurations can sound completely different.

You first have to know, what exactly you are looking for. Do you want an as close to the original recording as possible sound? If not, what area do you wish to change from that base?

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #2,614 of 2,806
Its not that simple.

A lot of earphone have several drivers that play in the exact same frequency range. The only reason to do this is, that its louder. Balanced Armatures start to distort pretty fast, so when you're listening at high volumes, there can be audible distortion.

That is why Dual BAs have been invented. Instead of one BA that blows at full volume, you have two BA that blow at 50% and so you have no nasty distortion.

But modern BAs are so optimized, you would have to listen to music way beyond 100db to hear the difference in distortion, so all these insane high BA count IEMs are mostly a lot of marketing.

What is more important is how many crossover you have.

If you have 1 BA or 5 BA covering the exact same frequency range will only improve distortion but otherwise have zero or negative effect on the Sound quality.

The FiiO FA9 for example has 6 BAs, but it is a 3 Way System (always 2 BA cover the same range). So its Bass - Mids - Treble
The IER-M9 has 5 BAs, but it is a 5 Way system which are more complex and expensive to develop, but have much better sound. So its Sub - Lo Mids, Hi Mids, Lo Treble, Hi Treble

Then it matters if you have an hard cross over (one BA is only responsible for its frequency range and nothing else) or an soft crossover (that means several BA play the note to a different amount.

Soft crossover are, again, way more complex and expensive to build, but you don't have this harsh and direct timbre change when the sound jumps from one BA to another.

On an Soft Crossover Multi BA IEM, 3 BAs can be responsible to play 1kHz (to different amounts, of course, otherwise it would make no sense). So if a sound goes from 500 Hz to 2 kHz, it "softly" travels around the BAs and so it will not suddenly change its sound, when it goes from one BA to another.

Then you have Soundpipes. With soundpipes its much easier to tune and you have the big advantage that the material/size/form of the housing doesn't matter. But soundpipes, as many say, kill the sound.

An IEM that doesn't use soundpipes is way more complex to build and tune, but will sound way more natural than any IEM with sound pipes.

And then there are company who buy universal BAs and modify them with acoustic resistors and stuff like that and companys who develpo their own BAs und make them exactly how they want them to sound out of the box.

So what you want is not more quantity (aka more drivers), what you want is more quality. And that is a very complex topic people could easily discuss for hours.

The Vision Ears EVE20 for example is an 3-way 6BA System. The FiiO FA9 is an 3-way 6BA System. Still, the EVE20 (even though its heavily overpriced, but thats a different topic) sound significantly better. Not that much better that its worth its price, but even identical driver confiurations can sound completely different.

You first have to know, what exactly you are looking for. Do you want an as close to the original recording as possible sound? If not, what area do you wish to change from that base?
thanks. superior answer. i want get most neutral sound as comes from singer. not changed tones or freequencies, not emphized low mids or highs. i have meze rai penta, 1DD 4BA and it sounds more neutral without EQ i like sound, but need more highs a bit. how sounds then 1DD iems? im look at fiio FD7 as it has berilium driver as my focal stellia headphones has berilium driver and it is one of the best sounding headphones neutral sound with slightly pushed punshy bass. stellia has more details va any headphone in the world. so, im want similar sound from IEMs .so, read meze rai penta is high end meze irems. and would i have more better sound most expensive iems

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #2,615 of 2,806
thanks. superior answer. i want get most neutral sound as comes from singer. not changed tones or freequencies, not emphized low mids or highs. i have meze rai penta, 1DD 4BA and it sounds more neutral without EQ i like sound, but need more highs a bit. how sounds then 1DD iems? im look at fiio FD7 as it has berilium driver as my focal stellia headphones has berilium driver and it is one of the best sounding headphones neutral sound with slightly pushed punshy bass. stellia has more details va any headphone in the world. so, im want similar sound from IEMs .so, read meze rai penta is high end meze irems. and would i have more better sound most expensive iems
That what you describe is the perfect definition of an stage monitor.

They are designed, that the artist can judge its performance and the artist needs to trust the Monitor 100%. If they change something in their performance, it needs to be reflected 100% unmodified in their Monitor.

So an Stage Monitor is designed to sound as real and authentic as absolutely possible so the artist can rely on the Monitor that exactly what he hears, is how it sounds in real ilfe.

And because you not to be isolated from your surroundins as good as possible, they also have the best isolation.

But, and here comes the elephant in the room, stage monitors are expensive because they are often complex but there are consumer grade IEM that try to get as close as possible to an professional stage monitor.

How much do you want to spend?

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #2,616 of 2,806
That what you describe is the perfect definition of an stage monitor.

They are designed, that the artist can judge its performance and the artist needs to trust the Monitor 100%. If they change something in their performance, it needs to be reflected 100% unmodified in their Monitor.

So an Stage Monitor is designed to sound as real and authentic as absolutely possible so the artist can rely on the Monitor that exactly what he hears, is how it sounds in real ilfe.

And because you not to be isolated from your surroundins as good as possible, they also have the best isolation.

But, and here comes the elephant in the room, stage monitors are expensive because they are often complex but there are consumer grade IEM that try to get as close as possible to an professional stage monitor.

How much do you want to spend?
not by much,as have too much now music equipment. im see at fiio fd7 ,camfire ara, shanling me900,mg800 ,smt similar to more neutral sounding.

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #2,617 of 2,806
Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #2,618 of 2,806
not by much,as have too much now music equipment. im see at fiio fd7 ,camfire ara, shanling me900,mg800 ,smt similar to more neutral sounding.
Is 350 too much? Is 700 too much? You were thinking about the FH9 which is priced in the middle class. So were you looking for an replacement in the middle class?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #2,619 of 2,806
Anyone compared this to the iBasso IT07 - since it is a similar target group I guess?
Contemplating between these two and similar options. Any chance anyone has tried them both/compared?

Jul 12, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #2,620 of 2,806
Is 350 too much? Is 700 too much? You were thinking about the FH9 which is priced in the middle class. So were you looking for an replacement in the middle class?
if any not famous IEMs for 500eur sounds like overpriced famous makers 1000eur, then i like get non famous maker IEM. i think fiio is best sound/price ratio, fiio 600eur iems think sounds like thieaudio iiem for 1000eur. im rigth? also found campfire ARA used for 650eur iems 7ba , they better get vd fiio fh9 ot fd7 ?

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #2,621 of 2,806
Strange logic. 🤔

Good luck bro.

Jul 13, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #2,623 of 2,806
what logic.... thieaudio monarch MKII 700eur better sounds then any campfire audio(solaris,ara,dorado,andromeda..). for 1100-1500eur.... so,fh9,fd7,fa9 good alternatives for sound/price ratio too.
Your logic.

This is not automatic at all. The correlations you are making. It can be positive or negative correlations. Believe me.

One friendly advice, it possible : listen. Just listen. Then, you'll know. Really know.

By the way, the Fh9's (it's their topic here 🙂) are an incredible price to ratio price product.

In fact, they are an excellent product by themselves.

They can be modded very easily, they scale really high (cables, sources, tips ...), they are thunderous but refined and detailed, mostly accurate.

Real elite all-rounders and no real weakness, including... noise isolation. 😇

I can't say more, and best ...

You can try to Sound Rhymes products, Aür Audio Products, Aful products too...

All the best 🙂

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #2,624 of 2,806
if any not famous IEMs for 500eur sounds like overpriced famous makers 1000eur, then i like get non famous maker IEM. i think fiio is best sound/price ratio, fiio 600eur iems think sounds like thieaudio iiem for 1000eur. im rigth? also found campfire ARA used for 650eur iems 7ba , they better get vd fiio fh9 ot fd7 ?it
It totally depends on the techonlogy, there is not difference between famous maker and non famous maker. With famous company i assume you mean an company with very high sale numbers and international reputition.

The Softears RS10 for example is made by a non famous Chinese company, and it costs 2000$. There are a lot of IEM from famous companies that cost less and are better.

Attention(!) My Personal opinion after testing both: The FiiO FH9 and Sony XBA-Z5 cost roughly the same, but the XBA-Z5 is better in most areas.

The better Earphone is the better earphone. It doesn't matter which company made it and famous companies are often cheaper.

Audeze is not an famous company. They are well known in the US, but outside of the US are still an very nieche company with very low sales numbers and their popularity in the US also have been very low in the past, its a relatively new company. Still the LCD-5 costs 4500$

The Final E4000 is cheaper and better than the Moondrop KATO and i would say Final is the more famous company.

Thieaudio is not an famous company. They are an extremely nieche ChiFi company that are outside of Head-fi pretty much unkown. FiiO is more famous than Thieaudio, that is for sure.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #2,625 of 2,806
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back