FIIO Flagship all-in-one digital media streamer R9 Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #182 of 370
I have a found a song that the problem is 100% reproducible. The problem occurs on 16/44.1 and 96/24 versions of this same song. The song is Porcupine Tree's Rats Return if anyone wants to give it a try on their units.

I have tested this song on all outputs of the R9 including headphones and external speakers via RCA line out. The problem occurs on all outputs. The same song from Roon, TIDAL and Qobuz all cause the problem.

The one thing that fixes it is using an external DAC connect by the USB-C port. So my conclusion is that it is a problem with the DAC.

It appears to be clipping the quiet early parts of songs and causing this intermittent crackling type of effect. I'm not sure if this is a firmware issue or a bad hardware unit. If anyone can confirm my findings??
And now I tried using the R9 as an external DAC connected to my iPhone. The same song played from iPhone Tidal and Qobuz apps still has issues but at a slightly louder portion of the intro. I don't know what that means though.

Is it some kind of noise suppression feature that is inappropriately clipping various frequencies? Why at different parts of the intro? I'm baffled. Leaning towards a return of the unit.

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #183 of 370
I am just lurking around and waiting to see if these issues get solved.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #184 of 370
And now I tried using the R9 as an external DAC connected to my iPhone. The same song played from iPhone Tidal and Qobuz apps still has issues but at a slightly louder portion of the intro. I don't know what that means though.

Is it some kind of noise suppression feature that is inappropriately clipping various frequencies? Why at different parts of the intro? I'm baffled. Leaning towards a return of the unit.
This sounds like an issue with other Fiio products as well. See my link below with the issue described with M17 (same DAC chipset!!). My question is: if it is not a widespread issue, is it just my unit? Should I get it another unit to see if it is fixed?

https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202203230134473555530&tid=4

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #185 of 370
This sounds like an issue with other Fiio products as well. See my link below with the issue described with M17 (same DAC chipset!!). My question is: if it is not a widespread issue, is it just my unit? Should I get it another unit to see if it is fixed?

https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202203230134473555530&tid=4
Additional observation:

MQA tracks are not affected.

Compared "Song of I" by Steven Wilson on Qobuz (96/24 FLAC) versus Tidal (96/24 MQA). No issues on the Tidal version of the same song. Qobuz was clipped during the introduction.

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #186 of 370
Any one use DAC mode On Mac?
When playing Youtube Vidoe on Mac connect with Dac mode.

If the System sample rate is set higher than 96hz. The sound will Shatter and with a lot of heavy noise. Its happened in Chrome and Firefox, without any problem on Safari.

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #188 of 370
I have the ifi ipower elite 15v for the r9. I searched the internet and most sources I found state that the barrel size on the ifi unit is 5.5 x 2.5, and it works fine with the r9. This may not be totally accurate but it was the best I could find. Mike Gutierrez
What plug size is needed for the “DC Input” in Fiio R9: 5.5 x 2.1 or 5.5 x 2.5 plug?

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #189 of 370
I just received mine, not sure if anyone has mentioned this already (sorry if so!), but the R9 shows up as an R7 in Roon. Just FYI @FiiO !

Also I cannot get my device to show up as a USB DAC on my Mac Mini--any ideas? I have it connected to the USB-C port.

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #191 of 370
Also, the lock screen doesn't update the track when listening to Roon Ready mode--is there a fix other than touching the screen to bring the Roon Ready screen back? Honestly would rather it just stay on the Roon Ready screen! I don't see any settings...

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #192 of 370
Also, the lock screen doesn't update the track when listening to Roon Ready mode--is there a fix other than touching the screen to bring the Roon Ready screen back? Honestly would rather it just stay on the Roon Ready screen! I don't see any settings...
To be honest I never look at the Roon Ready screen , or the Roon App on the R9. Once the Roon Ready app is running I just use my phone to control everything.

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #194 of 370
I dunno, that little astronaut screen is annoying when it is displaying the wrong song I am listening to!
You can disable that on the R7 in the settings, so it would be odd if you can't do the same on the R9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back