FIIO Flagship all-in-one digital media streamer R9 Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #301 of 390
Hi all,
I am currently streaming with IFI Zen Stream. All is fine but the major inconvenient is for me the inability to change the volume level which is fixed through Roon apps.
I can only adjust the volume through my RME ADI DAC device.
Does R9 allow control of the volume with Roon apps?
Thanks for your support and help!
Mac
You’re introducing digital signal processing when using the volume control in Roon. I and most others prefer to put full volume out of Roon or even fixed if possible with your DAC/streamer and use the volume control on your amplifier for attenuation. I’m assuming you have a use case where you want to control from your keyboard versus reaching for the R9. If you set the Roon volume to DSP volume you can use the Slider in Roon to attenuate the signal to the FIIO but again you’ll be losing some digital information in doing this.

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #302 of 390
You’re introducing digital signal processing when using the volume control in Roon. I and most others prefer to put full volume out of Roon or even fixed if possible with your DAC/streamer and use the volume control on your amplifier for attenuation. I’m assuming you have a use case where you want to control from your keyboard versus reaching for the R9. If you set the Roon volume to DSP volume you can use the Slider in Roon to attenuate the signal to the FIIO but again you’ll be losing some digital information in doing this.
Really? I didn't realise this, every day is a school day. Depending on where I'm sitting when I'm listening to the R9 I use the volume on the R9 but if further away I use the Roon app. Presumably improvement when using the R9 for volume control over Roon app is fairly miniscule?

Mar 9, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #304 of 390
Is it normal for the R9 to run very hot?
The aluminum side gets quite hot when used.

Just scared I burn something out if used for a long listening session.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not aware of that happening on mine. I sometimes use it late at night in the living room with headphones for an hour or so and when I'm finished listening I power it off and carry it through to the room with all my hifi gear. I think I would notice if it was hot while carrying it unless it cools down instantaneously after power off.

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #305 of 390
I'm not aware of that happening on mine. I sometimes use it late at night in the living room with headphones for an hour or so and when I'm finished listening I power it off and carry it through to the room with all my hifi gear. I think I would notice if it was hot while carrying it unless it cools down instantaneously after power off.
Mine gets to a point if I use it for say about 2 hours that it heats up so much you don't want to touch it with your hand. It cools down quite quickly, but definitely not instantaneous.

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #308 of 390
Mine gets to a point if I use it for say about 2 hours that it heats up so much you don't want to touch it with your hand. It cools down quite quickly, but definitely not instantaneous.

Hello, partner, at the moment I have not had that problem that you mentioned, but I will be attentive from now on, I will let you know if I have this problem.

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #309 of 390
Ok, next time I move it between rooms I'll see if it's hot before I power it off and carry it.
I had the R9 on for about 2.5 hours. I would say it was definitely not hot to the touch. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being cold and 10 being hot I would say it was a 2. Looks like you might have a problem with your R9?

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #313 of 390
Let's see, I think that the room temperature does a lot because as I told you, in my room with a fairly warm temperature, the top is very hot but the side is not. In any case, it is still metal and the heat becomes more evident than if it were another material. Let's see what Fiio says about it, but I don't think it will be a problem unless it is already something very excessive.

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #315 of 390
It was mentioned several weeks ago that there was a problem with songs stuttering/dropping out in the first few seconds/last few seconds when "All to DSD" is selected. Guess we are still waiting for a fix @FiiO ??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back