[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jun 25, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #571 of 1,922
Thanks to that wonderfully coherent bass, the PRAT of these IEMS is great. Im bopping round the room to Danny's All Star Joint off the 1st Rickie Lee Jones album. Great stuff

What's nice is they sound fab with all my gear too. V30 phone, Chord Mojo, M6 and X7ii Fiios. All great.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #572 of 1,922
I don't feel the the FH7 are better (or worse) than the FH5. The FH5 sound is warmer and the mid bass is fuller than the FH7. The FH7 hands down have a better sub-bass and is brighter with sparkle at the trebles.

After having more listening sessions with all the filters (and without) and I find that the green works the best for me. Reds and Blacks does a great job at reducing the treble which i think is too high on some songs but muddles the mids and mid bass. Running no filters i think has issues with the sound bouncing off the screw threads causing the sound to be altered. Can't quite put my finger on what is happening but with no filter I don't like how it sounds. So ultimately the green filter is the winner even though on some the sibilance and treble spikes on some song do get bothersome on some tracks.

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #573 of 1,922
It’s probably just a sound signature preference thing but I definitely liked the FH7 better than the FH5 is all aspects.

As for the filters, that’s the beauty of them. Switch them around and the tips when you’re bored of one sound.

Favourite combos so far are:

Reference filters + Stock balanced tips/stock foam tips/Symbio W
Treble filters + Spiral Dots

Never really was a big fan of the bass filter, I’ll need to play around with them more. I feel like they take too much of the edge off the treble.

Jun 25, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #575 of 1,922
- Negative - there's a very very obvious, super annoying sibilance, (i.e. shhh and sentences ending with S on vocals that sounds clipped, distorted and spiky) tamed it by using 1) Memory Foam, 2) Ironically using the green open filter - more for treble, 3) Dragonfly Audioquest. It is now less obvious. Using other filters, some details are removed across all sound spectrum (very very subjective).

Not sure if someone can confirm my observation, Sibilance is very noticeable on some tracks (not exhaustive, I just hit this track on my tidal radio mix) -e.g. JFK by Ryann. Very pronounced, not sure if someone can confirm? And maybe it’s my sensitivity on high note - as I heard some other tracks having a very high “bat sound” pitch. If you lived in rural area, you can relate on this sound. Trying to find those tracks and will share. I also compared with another FH7 in the store... I believe I dont have a dud or manufacturing quality issue, it’s just how it sounds as the store one vs my FH7, very similar except mine is less sibilance based on my setup (i.e. Memory Foam + Green filter) vs the shop one (stock black + black filter). Maybe better fit.

Over-all love this thing! - also tried today to compare with Shure 535 Red Colour edition (supposed to sound better than regular Shure as what the sales told me) but still, by far - build and sound quality FH7 wins, no doubt on my personal novice hearing and standards.

Again - these are my very own personal and practical view :) (e.g. actual bat sound heard, not vs on other IEM sound comparison lolz)

Hope above helps other folks with some more info stuff they can refer.

Jun 25, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #576 of 1,922
I have a similar challenge, although not the size but the seal. So far Spiral Dots seem to work best because they have the softest, most pliable silicone I've seen in a tip. Curious about Spinfits and Final Type E as well. Foam is hit-and-miss. Far less comfortable than silicone because of that "stuffed warm sock in your ear" feeling. But if I had to go foam then Dekoni Bulletz are the best I've heard and also the most comfortable, better in my comparisons with the Complys.

The Type E have a really good fit - very similar to Spiral Dots in 'stick-ness', although a little bit more firm they are very squish-able as they have a small core. The tip only has a slightly more point and has a nice rear roll-back. They do have significantly different sound profiles though! I only like the Spiral Dot with a foam mod as they are way way bass-lean (like all bass) to me otherwise and I've seen them described as 'muddy bass'. The foam also helps with the hold, while Type E are like "I'm not going to go on or come off".

Most Spinfit are more of a 'bullet' shape and don't fit my ears quite as well even though they are also soft and pliable, so it's a little bit more of a game and try and seat these. The silicon itself also stays a bit 'drier', if that makes any sense.. They sit relatively pushed out from the nozzle though (unlike the Spiral Dots). I find that both Spiral Dots and Type E do things (different things) better than Spinfit, so mine are collecting dust..

Oh, all the silly things: Source (Personal Music Preferences) -> Wire/Wireless -> DAC/AMP -> Wire -> IEM (Factory Tuning) -> Filters/Tips (Personal Tuning) -> Ears (Biological Tuning) :p

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #577 of 1,922
I love these Spinfits. I had Symbios on my FH5 - just sold those - and I like the Spinfits better. I had Complys on the Sony XBA-N3, but the signature was way too dark. Back to the Sony dual-something and they sound good. I do have Comply on my BeatsX for cutting the grass, where sound isolation > sound quality.

Jun 25, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #578 of 1,922
Not sure if someone can confirm my observation, Sibilance is very noticeable on some tracks (not exhaustive, I just hit this track on my tidal radio mix) -e.g. JFK by Ryann. Very pronounced, not sure if someone can confirm? And maybe it’s my sensitivity on high note - as I heard some other tracks having a very high “bat sound” pitch. If you lived in rural area, you can relate on this sound. Trying to find those tracks and will share. I also compared with another FH7 in the store... I believe I dont have a dud or manufacturing quality issue, it’s just how it sounds as the store one vs my FH7, very similar except mine is less sibilance based on my setup (i.e. Memory Foam + Green filter) vs the shop one (stock black + black filter). Maybe better fit.

Over-all love this thing! - also tried today to compare with Shure 535 Red Colour edition (supposed to sound better than regular Shure as what the sales told me) but still, by far - build and sound quality FH7 wins, no doubt on my personal novice hearing and standards.

Again - these are my very own personal and practical view :) (e.g. actual bat sound heard, not vs on other IEM sound comparison lolz)

Hope above helps other folks with some more info stuff they can refer.
No your not wrong I have the same issue with sibilance and treble spikes on some songs. The Bass Filters do help but for me its at the cost of muddling the mids and losing the clarity and sparkle of the highs. I just lower the volume when I know the song is sibilant.

I am running the green filter (not really a filter but a lack of) with the medium bass tips (has the widest bore opening).

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #579 of 1,922
Dear friend,

If the issue happens in two cables, it is more likely to be a problem with the right unit of the FH7. But you may still try to gently pry the small, notched ring on the MMCX's head into a larger diameter?

Best regards

Still hoping @FiiO Or @JamesFiiO can help me out with an expedited exchange but in the meantime, has anyone done this? Any suggestions for tool and method?

Jun 25, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #580 of 1,922
HD800S , thank you all for the input.
Of course I don't expect an iem to be a direct HD800S equivalent.
I was more or less referring to tonality and detail rendering so it can be good with classical.
Funds are limited so I top at an FH7 price.
Hopefully I will be able to get my hands on it so I can test it myself.
Maybe look at the Fearless s8pro.

Seems to be a cleaner sound at about the Same price point.

Jun 25, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #582 of 1,922
The Type E have a really good fit - very similar to Spiral Dots in 'stick-ness', although a little bit more firm they are very squish-able as they have a small core. The tip only has a slightly more point and has a nice rear roll-back. They do have significantly different sound profiles though! I only like the Spiral Dot with a foam mod as they are way way bass-lean (like all bass) to me otherwise and I've seen them described as 'muddy bass'. The foam also helps with the hold, while Type E are like "I'm not going to go on or come off".

Most Spinfit are more of a 'bullet' shape and don't fit my ears quite as well even though they are also soft and pliable, so it's a little bit more of a game and try and seat these. The silicon itself also stays a bit 'drier', if that makes any sense.. They sit relatively pushed out from the nozzle though (unlike the Spiral Dots). I find that both Spiral Dots and Type E do things (different things) better than Spinfit, so mine are collecting dust..

Oh, all the silly things: Source (Personal Music Preferences) -> Wire/Wireless -> DAC/AMP -> Wire -> IEM (Factory Tuning) -> Filters/Tips (Personal Tuning) -> Ears (Biological Tuning) :p
Thanks for the feedback. Will get a pack of E tips and go from there.

Jun 25, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #583 of 1,922
16D78A79-940B-4B26-8C72-0BBC07E468C4.jpeg

New cable arrived today. Tighter fit on the right but still not perfect.

FiiO MMCX Pure Silver LC-4.4D, FiiO FH7, and not pictured is the source FiiO M11.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #585 of 1,922
S8Pro probably have a lot less bass than FH7 though. Acme8 maybe better but more than twice the price.
I don't know about the FH7, but with the right tips, the S8P will rattle your fillings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back