[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jun 24, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #557 of 1,922
Now THAT is going to be interesting! How soon till you get them?

Hopefully by the end of this week! My current IEMs are going on loan to my friend who I bounce audio gear off of so I'll have time to dedicate strictly to the Hyla without the temptation of immediately A/B-ing.

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #560 of 1,922
A Hyla CE-5 is on its way to me soon. I'm looking forward to comparing it with the FH7!
Lucky you :) Please do say! I’m on the cusp of a TE-5B (or Oriolus MK2), so especially curious on the mid-high “body” and how it compares.
2 pin or not 2 pin, that is the question.

....the answer is always 2 pin. Recessed if possible.
I’d take JH 4-pin if it was a very common connector .. and not even for the other two wires. Wishful thinking though.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #561 of 1,922
The right monitor of my FH7 will not stay connected to cables - I have tried 2 FiiO cables, and 1 3rd party. Any easy fix? All, @FiiO - 2 pin moving forward?
Dear friend,

If the issue happens in two cables, it is more likely to be a problem with the right unit of the FH7. But you may still try to gently pry the small, notched ring on the MMCX's head into a larger diameter?

upload_2019-6-25_15-10-18.png

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 25, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #562 of 1,922
Ok.

Received my FH7's just a few minutes ago. popped in the reference filters and a set of Complys. Now settling in.

Here are my stream of consciousness thoughts...

Jaw droppingly balanced, detailed, smooth sound. NO treble spikiness whatsoever. None, nada. No sibilance.

This is a rediscovering my music collection moment. Hearing stuff deep in the mixes of albums i've been listening to almost daily for 30 years. Textures on drums, shimmers on cymbals.

Above all it's a completely natural sound. Nothing is spiking or clamouring for attention.

Listening to Pet Shop Boys' Being Boring, that's a hugely sibilant risky track but this is not at all sibilant.
Now onto The Beginning, by Seal. Amazing. Never heard the orchestration before in certain parts of the lyrics. It was always lost in the mix.

Bass is very powerful. Much more slam than with the FH5's.
Great bass definition also.

Very comfortable. Like the FH5.

Comparing to FH5's it's like the FH5 on steroids :), more of everything. Much fuller, bigger, richer sound. Like putting on a big meaty "loudness" on all the music.

Glorious.

Ps... Went back to the FH5's now after an hour or so immersion with the FH7. Chalk and Cheese. Where FH5 is dusty dull old chalk and the FH7 is a fine matured Cheddar with a slosh of great burgandy to wash it down. The FH7 brings the music to life, 3D, colourful, rich, vibrant, whereas the FH5 is quite flat by comparison.

Anyone on the fence about upgrading from FH5 to FH7 should not hesitate. Worth every penny and then some.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #563 of 1,922
Ok.

Received my FH7's just a few minutes ago. popped in the reference filters and a set of Complys. Now settling in.

Here are my stream of consciousness thoughts...

Jaw droppingly balanced, detailed, smooth sound. NO treble spikiness whatsoever. None, nada. No sibilance.

This is a rediscovering my music collection moment. Hearing stuff deep in the mixes of albums i've been listening to almost daily for 30 years. Textures on drums, shimmers on cymbals.

Above all it's a completely natural sound. Nothing is spiking or clamouring for attention.

Listening to Pet Shop Boys' Being Boring, that's a hugely sibilant risky track but this is not at all sibilant.
Now onto The Beginning, by Seal. Amazing. Never heard the orchestration before in certain parts of the lyrics. It was always lost in the mix.

Bass is very powerful. Much more slam than with the FH5's.
Great bass definition also.

Very comfortable. Like the FH5.

Comparing to FH5's it's like the FH5 on steroids :), more of everything. Much fuller, bigger, richer sound. Like putting on a big meaty "loudness" on all the music.

Glorious.
Great impressions! I’m currently looking to upgrade my FH5, and I love the FH5 sound bar some occasional mid-forwardness/shoutiness on some female vocals in particular. How do the FH7 mids compared to the FH5? Also is the sub bass impact/rumble of the FH5 still there? The FR graphs I’ve seen suggest otherwise.

Thanks again.

Jun 25, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #564 of 1,922
Dear friend,

If the issue happens in two cables, it is more likely to be a problem with the right unit of the FH7. But you may still try to gently pry the small, notched ring on the MMCX's head into a larger diameter?

Best regards

@FiiO tried that. No jazz. Started a replacement thru your presence on Amazon with an estimated delivery of 3 July. Any chance of getting that expedited? It's a holiday time for Americans and would like to have a good set before we start traveling!

Jun 25, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #565 of 1,922
Great impressions! I’m currently looking to upgrade my FH5, and I love the FH5 sound bar some occasional mid-forwardness/shoutiness on some female vocals in particular. How do the FH7 mids compared to the FH5? Also is the sub bass impact/rumble of the FH5 still there? The FR graphs I’ve seen suggest otherwise.

Thanks again.

The sub-bass and generally the bass impact, is MUCH fuller with the 7's. Really, I don't know how to describe it other than the 7's are just better and a lot better in, so far, all areas.

Take the track Watermark, Enya, listening right now. There's a slight sharpness to the upper mid on certain piano notes, not there on the FH7's. And that really hard hitting sub-bass which kicks in half way through, barely audible on the 5's, hits really noticeably on the 7's. Enya's vocals are much more delineated away from the synth wash too. Great stuff.

They have the same tonality as the FH5 in that instantly i put them on and had no brain adjustment to make, they just sounded immediately bloody marvelous.

Bad Boy's video really sums it up, his enthusiasm is spot on.

Now listening to Miss Clare Remembers, the timbre on the piano brings a tear to my eye. Beautiful.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #566 of 1,922
The sub-bass and generally the bass impact, is MUCH fuller with the 7's. Really, I don't know how to describe it other than the 7's are just better and a lot better in, so far, all areas.

Take the track Watermark, Enya, listening right now. There's a slight sharpness to the upper mid on certain piano notes, not there on the FH7's. And that really hard hitting sub-bass which kicks in half way through, barely audible on the 5's, hits really noticeably on the 7's. Enya's vocals are much more delineated away from the synth wash too. Great stuff.

They have the same tonality as the FH5 in that instantly i put them on and had no brain adjustment to make, they just sounded immediately bloody marvelous.

Bad Boy's video really sums it up, his enthusiasm is spot on.

Now listening to Miss Clare Remembers, the timbre on the piano brings a tear to my eye. Beautiful.

Agree with your assessment of FH7 > FH5. And as an added bonus, the FH7 tips don't stay in my ears when I take them out!

Jun 25, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #567 of 1,922
Agree with your assessment of FH7 > FH5. And as an added bonus, the FH7 tips don't stay in my ears when I take them out!
Wondering which tips you and @salla45 are using to get a good seal with the FH7? I read the tips that work for the FH5 don't work for the FH7 and vice versa. I've generally been using Spiral Dot M on the FH5.

Jun 25, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #568 of 1,922
Wondering which tips you and @salla45 are using to get a good seal with the FH7? I read the tips that work for the FH5 don't work for the FH7 and vice versa. I've generally been using Spiral Dot M on the FH5.

I'm currently using the large "bass" tips, but agree they are not the 'stickiest' tips I've ever used. They work, but I'm actually searching for a tip that works better for me. My ears are such that even size large in some brands don't form a good seal. Also not a fan of foam.

Jun 25, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #569 of 1,922

I have used large Complys for years. Always do the trick for me. Once i started on them, I never went back or tried anything else, they have a tendance to "smooth" treble, which can be a good thing or not, I guess. But for the super-seal and bass response and comfort, ill take the trade.

Jun 25, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #570 of 1,922
I'm currently using the large "bass" tips, but agree they are not the 'stickiest' tips I've ever used. They work, but I'm actually searching for a tip that works better for me. My ears are such that even size large in some brands don't form a good seal. Also not a fan of foam.
I have a similar challenge, although not the size but the seal. So far Spiral Dots seem to work best because they have the softest, most pliable silicone I've seen in a tip. Curious about Spinfits and Final Type E as well. Foam is hit-and-miss. Far less comfortable than silicone because of that "stuffed warm sock in your ear" feeling. But if I had to go foam then Dekoni Bulletz are the best I've heard and also the most comfortable, better in my comparisons with the Complys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back