FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Dec 1, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #2,206 of 2,258
The price went back up for them in silver but still shows $159 for black, but it currently only shows 1 left. I suppose by me posting this someone else may snatch them up but that's alright. Hopefully they'll get more and/or lower the price again soon if I decide to give them a try.
Ah, yes. Still in luck!

Can't say anything about FH5s vs. FH5, but I struggled with FH5 comfort early on, with my right ear (it's always my right ear). But then I got used to it, I guess. If it means anything, I use a large tip for my right ear and medium for left ear (with all my IEMs).

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #2,207 of 2,258
The price went back up for them in silver but still shows $159 for black, but it currently only shows 1 left. I suppose by me posting this someone else may snatch them up but that's alright. Hopefully they'll get more and/or lower the price again soon if I decide to give them a try.
Don't forget the black ones have better nozzle design and fit a lot nicer than the titanium colour --- i just picked some up on 11/11 for a really good price - vendor tried to switch them to the titanium but i asked for the black or to cancel the order. Got them a couple days ago and they're so much nicer than the original design.

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #2,208 of 2,258
anyone recommend a balanced cable makes them more warm? i have balanced cable but cant even remember which it was i heard balanced was better and bought a balanced cable

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #2,209 of 2,258
OK, so I had the FH5 for about a month, but let it go in favor of the Ikko OH10, with I love -- different story.

Anyway, I searched this thread for any mention of the FD5, and a comparison with the FH5. Reviews of the FD5 consistently rate it as having the widest soundstage of any [nearly] any IEM. Does anyone have a comparison of the FH5 vs FD5??

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #2,210 of 2,258
OK, so I had the FH5 for about a month, but let it go in favor of the Ikko OH10, with I love -- different story.

Anyway, I searched this thread for any mention of the FD5, and a comparison with the FH5. Reviews of the FD5 consistently rate it as having the widest soundstage of any [nearly] any IEM. Does anyone have a comparison of the FH5 vs FD5??
I tried the FD5 but ultimately liked the sound of the FH5 much better. The FD5 have a bit more of an airy openness to the soundstage but they are severely lacking in treble and detail retrieval, it's hard to describe but the upper end just felt smoothed over and blended together. Mid bass can sound very bloated on some songs depending on the tips used - definitely needed some EQ. To my ears, the FH5 just sounds better, and for $100 less it was an easy decision.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #2,211 of 2,258

Curious if you could share your comparison between the FH5 and OH10?

Feb 5, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #2,212 of 2,258
I haven't had the FH5 for awhile but I remember it as a very mild U shape sound, nearly flat; the OH10 has a more U/V shaped sound.
Bass on OH10 is deep with a good bit of impact; the FH5 bass is good but not quite as deep. Reference lovers call the OH10 "bassy", but I call it "clean fun!"
Highs are similar, with OH10 having a bit more extension; the FH5 highs got a bit sharp at higher volumes.
The OH10 imaging and instrument separation is excellent even on busy songs ("The National Anthem" by Radiohead is crazy busy with horns), and it just has great timbre and tone due, IMO, to the single BA upper driver vs the 3 for the FH5 - both have a DD for lows.
For me, Oracle > Blessing 2 > FH5 > KATO, sort of according to price.
BUT, OH10 just has a dynamic lively sound that is hard to give up.

Feb 5, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #2,213 of 2,258
Well, late to the party but decided to give the black version a try since it was on sale for $239Cad ($187us).

I have not bought a higher quality wired IEM for a few years. My last good one was the Sony XBA-Z5 which I loved. I am really hoping these fill that IEM's shoes. At least detail and 3D presentation wise. If it is not quite as big a bass that will be OK but the closer the better.

Really hoping I will be wowed :).

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #2,214 of 2,258
Well my pair arrived but they look like they are not the Black version. I'm not complaining though as they fit me perfectly so will not be sending them back, but will let the seller know they might want to adjust their webpage. For Canadian Head-fi members I bought these from Electronics for Less so be cautious if you have your heart set on the black model as you might not get that one.

So these sound as good as my now dead XBA-Z5 in my opinion. Absolutely happy with them. Will be writing a review up at some point. But for now I am just going to enjoy hearing my music in all it glory from an IEM again. These are ging to be pushing my TWS products to the side A LOT!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #2,215 of 2,258
As I am listening these are definitely brighter than the old XBA-Z5, I am enjoying the added detail but have to admit it makes notices on my phone almost unbearably jarring. I am also listening at much lower volumes. I am not suggesting they are sibilant or anything, just brighter and more detailed than what I have grown used to.

Man these are super comfy to wear.

Just swapped the default cable to see what a balanced 2.5 cable would sound like through my ES100. My balanced cable came with a much older Fiio IEM that was cheaper and back in a day when their cables were less robust. The cable fit without issue but it feels so light in comparison. Not sure if I am hearing much difference other than volume from my ES100 in regards to balanced mode though. I will also be testing a Pono balanced cable as well. But think I will just use the default cable.

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #2,216 of 2,258
@dweaver welcome to the club indeed the FH5 are more bright but for me they are in the limit also the detail that this pair deliver at the price point i think they are quite nice, be sure to find an adequate set of tips I notice when i just bought them that the sound vary a lot ig you dont use them properly, In my case they didnt then to sit still but after a learning process of how to put them correctly in my hears boom! They sound great.

Enjoy your new iems!!

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #2,217 of 2,258
Going to see if I can find my Sony hybrids tips and give them a whirl. They generally bring down the treble a bit.

Also just need to get used to the sound signature. Sure enjoying these though, went back to the cable they came with. I am thinking I might try the Fiio TWS adapter with these.

Feb 12, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #2,218 of 2,258
Used these when I went to bed and woke up 9 hours later with zero discomfort. I was. Even able to sleep on my side with a bit of effort.

I have been flipping between tips a fair bit. Used Sony hybrids last night but switched to balanced today to see if my brain and ears have got used to the signature. So far so good...

Feb 12, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #2,219 of 2,258
Used these when I went to bed and woke up 9 hours later with zero discomfort. I was. Even able to sleep on my side with a bit of effort.

I have been flipping between tips a fair bit. Used Sony hybrids last night but switched to balanced today to see if my brain and ears have got used to the signature. So far so good...
Where youb find them?

Feb 12, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #2,220 of 2,258
I bought my pair from Electronics for Less Canada. But beware they say they are the black pair but are actually the original version. But thet are selling them for $239Cad versus everyone else in Canada selling them for $339Cad so huge savings.

The original model fits my ears like a glove and now that I have them I think they look sharper than the black model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back