FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 8, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #2,131 of 2,258
Review:
Fit: I used CA marshmallows and the my Custom Art custom iem tips ( they fit ) The fit was OK with the marshmallows and exact with the customs tips
Tweaks. I removed the little screens and adjusted the EQ as 2 reviewer suggested.
These were devoid of a soundstage. Bass was flat and lost in the general cacophony these things reproduced. Mids were flat and there was no presence. Highs were there but again, flat. These sounded all the world like something from a 90's walkman, the cassette type...
If you haven't already discarded the FH5 and your open to doing some diagnostics:

Looking at the two very different length stems/nozzles, I doubt that your Custom Art custom iem tips are appropriate for the much shorter FH5
Maybe run through the included tips that come with the FH5; while you may not achieve the best seal, if you find that the playback starts to improve with one of them, then you know it's a matter of finding the right tips.
1594194795571.png
1594194807225.png

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #2,132 of 2,258
If you haven't already discarded the FH5 and your open to doing some diagnostics:

Looking at the two very different length stems/nozzles, I doubt that your Custom Art custom iem tips are appropriate for the much shorter FH5
Maybe run through the included tips that come with the FH5; while you may not achieve the best seal, if you find that the playback starts to improve with one of them, then you know it's a matter of finding the right tips.
1594194795571.png1594194807225.png
I have found comply 500 to have worked best for me.

Jul 8, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #2,133 of 2,258

1594194795571.png1594194807225.png
The Custom Art tips fit the earphones only on the tips, just like the Andromedas. The fit is secure and isolated because the tip goes directly into the ear canals. The problem is the Fiio. I listened with the marshmallow tips and there was also a similar fit to the Andromeda. I have written these off as a bad purchase, not my first, or last. I had a early Fiio dap, the X1 I think. Piece of crap. Sent it back. I got a Hiby r3 off Kickstarter. Piece of crap, sold it for a profit to someone who had to have it. Problem with earphones is you buy them, you keep them. Reviewers lie. Lots of reasons for that. The fans, I don't get. If you bought a piece of crap, own up to it, warn others and move on. Most fans can not let go of the idea that got a deal, or they got the best. The Fiio is like most products out of China. It looks good, but there is no substance. These large companies, like Fiio and Astell and Kern have deep pockets and plenty of paid reviewers to sell their crap. We all join in, become fans and proceed to cheer for our team. Me, I don't care who made it. If it's good, great. If not, warn others. Guys like Crinacle said the FH5 was a good model, rated a strong B. The FH7 was rated much lower by him. I bought the FH5. I was lied to.

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #2,135 of 2,258
The Custom Art tips fit the earphones only on the tips, just like the Andromedas. The fit is secure and isolated because the tip goes directly into the ear canals. The problem is the Fiio. I listened with the marshmallow tips and there was also a similar fit to the Andromeda. I have written these off as a bad purchase, not my first, or last. I had a early Fiio dap, the X1 I think. Piece of crap. Sent it back. I got a Hiby r3 off Kickstarter. Piece of crap, sold it for a profit to someone who had to have it. Problem with earphones is you buy them, you keep them. Reviewers lie. Lots of reasons for that. The fans, I don't get. If you bought a piece of crap, own up to it, warn others and move on. Most fans can not let go of the idea that got a deal, or they got the best. The Fiio is like most products out of China. It looks good, but there is no substance. These large companies, like Fiio and Astell and Kern have deep pockets and plenty of paid reviewers to sell their crap. We all join in, become fans and proceed to cheer for our team. Me, I don't care who made it. If it's good, great. If not, warn others. Guys like Crinacle said the FH5 was a good model, rated a strong B. The FH7 was rated much lower by him. I bought the FH5. I was lied to.
Have you ever considered you had a defective product?

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #2,137 of 2,258
I did, but the return policy is pretty specific. The earphones produce sound. There is no static or cutting out. Because of Covid 19, earphones, like shoes and clothes cannot be returned. They are for sale though if you are interested. But be warned, they don't sound very good.
Mine sound fine, as well as my fiio fa7, fa1, and my old shure 530; your indictment of the fh5 in total is unfair to many who are content with their fh5.

I am by no means a fiio 'fan boy' and I have criticized fiio on this forum, but you have been unfair to fiio and the people who have the fh5 who have no complaint. :frowning2:

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #2,138 of 2,258
Mine sound fine, as well as my fiio fa7, fa1, and my old shure 530; your indictment of the fh5 in total is unfair to many who are content with their fh5.

I am by no means a fiio 'fan boy' and I have criticized fiio on this forum, but you have been unfair to fiio and the people who have the fh5 who have no complaint. :frowning2:
Unfair, what an unusual comment to make. I suppose I could counter by saying that the reviewers, who praised this earphone, were unfair to me for convincing me to try it out. I suppose I could say that Fiio was unfair to me for producing an earphone worth maybe $50 and selling to me for $325 Can. including tax. Unfair, is an overused statement, like "moving forward" or "synergy". Meaningless. As to your loyalty to a electronics company in China, very commendable. But they still produce overhyped, overpriced, poorly executed copies of quality products from Europe and North America. Products designed outside of China but manufactured there are usually good. The labor is cheap. Products designed and built in China are usually of poor quality and thrive through effective advertising and dubious reviews from bought reviewers. I'll continue to stick with the quality stuff and pay a little more for it. Does that seem unfair?

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #2,139 of 2,258
Unfair, what an unusual comment to make. I suppose I could counter by saying that the reviewers, who praised this earphone, were unfair to me for convincing me to try it out. I suppose I could say that Fiio was unfair to me for producing an earphone worth maybe $50 and selling to me for $325 Can. including tax. Unfair, is an overused statement, like "moving forward" or "synergy". Meaningless. As to your loyalty to a electronics company in China, very commendable. But they still produce overhyped, overpriced, poorly executed copies of quality products from Europe and North America. Products designed outside of China but manufactured there are usually good. The labor is cheap. Products designed and built in China are usually of poor quality and thrive through effective advertising and dubious reviews from bought reviewers. I'll continue to stick with the quality stuff and pay a little more for it. Does that seem unfair?
You are your own worst enemy. I have nothhing further to write you. :frowning2:

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #2,140 of 2,258
You are your own worst enemy. I have nothhing further to write you. :frowning2:
Look, I posted my take on the Fiio FH5. You are the one who felt all slighted and hurt because I trashed them. You are your own worst enemy for getting all emotional about a couple of pieces of aluminum and plastic. Bottom line, the Fiio FH5 earphones are crap. I got suckered by the hype and I happily will own that. I have other earphones that actually sound pretty good for what they cost and I will review them for you if you like. Let me know.

Jul 8, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #2,141 of 2,258
So you come here very mad with your own opinion claiming "reviewers were bought" as a "matter of fact" cause an IEM failed to fill your expectations. Also, stating that CHIFI IEMs are snake oil cause of your disappointment with what appears to be your first experience with CHIFI, or you never know.. maybe a defective IEM based on your simple description of "flat" with sound signature of these pairs of Fiio IEMs.. (i cannot really related how the FH5 bass can sound flat, but you never know own's people experience, even despite graphs)

Look, It's totally understandable being mad cause you bought a piece of earphones that can be considered expensive but they totally failed to fill you expectations, which is not especially fair due to the current situation and difficult times we almost all are living together, nowadays.

IN MY SINCERE OPINION, my own experience with FH5 doesn't related to yours even after having experience similar IEMS as the ones you own such as Campfire Andromedas, which I considered them an IEM without substance with decent soundstage for an IEM and overpriced as crazy ( I know what soundstage is after having experience HD800). And Campfire Atlas, which to me, the FIIO FH5 offers a similar performance but for minus three times the price. You see many reviews praising Campfires IEMs, and I think they are absolutely overpriced and some of them are direct crap like the Polaris.., but ain't going spreading angryness walking with this air of FACT "you are all bought"...."keep your piece of crap".."you lied to me"; when we all know sound signature is a matter of preference.

I don't know whether you checked out the several reviews of FH5 here in Headfi before purchasing them or you just checked them out from youtube reviewers, or you just did both. If you checked on Headfi reviews too, you should have had good insight; or are you going to tell us that we are bought by Fiio too?

Regarding the signature. The only thing I almost agreed with what you've described aside from your "flat" description is about the soundstage nature of the FH5. The FH5 indeed has a narrow soundstage especially when we compare to something like Andromeda though it does has a bit of depth and height offering; nothing amazing in that aspect though. If your own thing is the soundstage, well in my own experience, I remember reading every single review before acquiring the FH5, and many times I encountered the "narrow soundstage" description about those IEMs, especially in wideness, like really.... many times, so I knew what to expect by just putting all the pieces together from different impressions and reviewers. Did you read enough? I don't really know.. And At last, the fact that you are labeling a IEM as a piece of crap, as one of the reasons being the lack of soundtage while having as reference the Campfire's Andromeda soundstage ( its best feature), made this look your opinion with a bit of bias, when soundstage is just a technical aspect that is a matter of purely preference. It is like me saying that the HD600 is a piece of crap due to its narrow soundstage nature compared to something like HD800. Is the HD600 a piece of crap for having narrow soundstage and flat signature? LOL, if one said that claim you get to open the umbrella cause stones are gonna rain on you by just saying that..

Also, one last thing, who really takes seriously the "I will send you to the moon" advertising-labeling practice that is so commonly seen in this market by many companies who're just trying caught your attention and to sell their products?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #2,142 of 2,258
So you come here very mad with your own opinion claiming "reviewers were bought" as a "matter of fact" cause an IEM failed to fill your expectations. Also, stating that CHIFI IEMs are snake oil cause of your disappointment with what appears to be your first experience with CHIFI, or you never know.. maybe a defective IEM based on your simple description of "flat" with sound signature of these pairs of Fiio IEMs.. (i cannot really related how the FH5 bass can sound flat, but you never know own's people experience, even despite graphs)

Look, It's totally understandable being mad cause you bought a piece of earphones that can be considered expensive but they totally failed to fill you expectations, which is not especially fair due to the current situation and difficult times we almost all are living together, nowadays.

IN MY SINCERE OPINION, my own experience with FH5 doesn't related to yours even after having experience similar IEMS as the ones you own such as Campfire Andromedas, which I considered them an IEM without substance with decent soundstage for an IEM and overpriced as crazy ( I know what soundstage is after having experience HD800). And Campfire Atlas, which to me, the FIIO FH5 offers a similar performance but for minus three times the price. You see many reviews praising Campfires IEMs, and I think they are absolutely overpriced and some of them are direct crap like the Polaris.., but ain't going spreading angryness walking with this air of FACT "you are all bought"...."keep your piece of crap".."you lied to me"; when we all know sound signature is a matter of preference.

I don't know whether you checked out the several reviews of FH5 here in Headfi before purchasing them or you just checked them out from youtube reviewers, or you just did both. If you checked on Headfi reviews too, you should have had good insight; or are you going to tell us that we are bought by Fiio too?

Regarding the signature. The only thing I almost agreed with what you've described aside from your "flat" description is about the soundstage nature kf the FH5. FH5 indeed has a narrow soundstage especially when compared to something like Andromesa but does has a bit of depth and height; though nothing amazing in that aspect. If your own thing is the soundstage, well in my own experience, I remember reading every single review before acquiring the FH5, and many times I encountered the "narrow soundstage" description about those IEMs, especially in wideness, like really.... many times, so I knew what to expect by just putting all the pieces together from different impressions and reviewers. Did you read enough? I don't really know.. And At last, the fact that you are labeling a IEM as a piece of crap, as one of the reasons being the lack of soundtage while having as reference the Campfire's Andromeda soundstage ( its best feature), made this look your opinion with a bit of bias, when soundstage is just a technical aspect that is a matter of purely preference. It is like me saying that the HD600 is a piece of crap due to its narrow soundstage nature compared to something like HD800. Is the HD600 a piece of crap for having narrow soundstage snd flat signature? LOL, if one said that claim you get to open the umbrella cause stones are gonna rain on you by just saying that..

Also, one last thing, who really takes seriously the "I will send you to the moon" advertising labeling that is so commonly seen in this market by many companies who trying to sell their products?
Good points. Well stated. You are probably correct. I simply expected more than I should have. Lesson learned. I like the Andromedas because they sound very good to me. I also like my Custom Art Fibae 2 custom fit ear phones because they are very smooth sounding. In the case of the Fiio I was aware of the soundstage issue. I wanted to try a hybrid to hear more bass oomph. These were rated highly for that. On one of the lists these were the highest rated hybrid at the lowest reasonable price. The higher rated ones were much more cash. So I bought them. On my Questyle QP1R, Pono and Sony NW-ZX300 I did not hear much bass and what I did hear was recessed. The other sounds were flat. But hey, that's just me. I don't give any credence to sites that carry any advertising. I read the reviews of a few "expert" reviewers. I check out a couple of youtube videos and I discard most comments on forums unless they show the negatives as well. Most only mention negatives that are superficial and have little to do with the sound quality. Again, thanks for an honest comment that was polite and reasoned.

Jul 27, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #2,143 of 2,258
anyone have idea what is best earplugs for these? and i KNOW most of people problems "the Seal" i fiddle with mine and if i can get the PERFECT positioning for the earplug they sound great problem is chewing gum, swallowing water etc makes them move a little and seal is disturbed and then they sound BAD

Jul 27, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #2,144 of 2,258
anyone have idea what is best earplugs for these? and i KNOW most of people problems "the Seal" i fiddle with mine and if i can get the PERFECT positioning for the earplug they sound great problem is chewing gum, swallowing water etc makes them move a little and seal is disturbed and then they sound BAD
I'm team foam. If you're in the U.S., pickup a couple multi size paks from Amazon:
Tennmak 4.5mm , more low end
Tennmak 4.9mm , less low end

Users who are viewing this thread

Back