FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Oct 30, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #1,171 of 2,258
Thanks for all replies guy! I can see it's pretty generic out there :) - was wondering if there was any real sensitivity with impedance and such, or i should just take the plunge and go for ergonomics and price?

Oct 30, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #1,172 of 2,258
I’m listening to mine now and I’m very, very impressed. The only other in ear phones I’ve had that cost this much (actually more) were Shure 425’s. I didn’t like them, they were stolen, I don’t miss them. These FiiOs are from another world. So much detail across the board. The killer to me is how fantastic they sound when you are playing them quietly. I think they are better than Audeze EL8’s (fancy planar magnetic over ears) for this. Sorry, I don’t know all the head-fi lingo, but I have listened to some stupidly expensive headphones and earphones and these a) sound great, b) are made in a way that isn’t going to break (metal shells), and c) are comfy. I wouldn’t spend more unless your ears are from Mars or something (I do sensory science for a living).

Oct 30, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #1,173 of 2,258
I’m listening to mine now and I’m very, very impressed. The only other in ear phones I’ve had that cost this much (actually more) were Shure 425’s. I didn’t like them, they were stolen, I don’t miss them. These FiiOs are from another world. So much detail across the board. The killer to me is how fantastic they sound when you are playing them quietly. I think they are better than Audeze EL8’s (fancy planar magnetic over ears) for this. Sorry, I don’t know all the head-fi lingo, but I have listened to some stupidly expensive headphones and earphones and these a) sound great, b) are made in a way that isn’t going to break (metal shells), and c) are comfy. I wouldn’t spend more unless your ears are from Mars or something (I do sensory science for a living).

yep. I am also finding them shockingly good. Mostly they have very natural timbre with vocals and acoustic instruments and an amazing sense of space, so the music breathes quite naturally. They literally make me stop in my tracks sometimes, I have to stop and listen to some nuance which blindsides me. And that happens alot.

Im not sure how much better this game gets, TBH. But then I say that about every upgrade, lol. Happy times.

Oct 30, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,174 of 2,258
I’d be worried about spending much more than this unless you had good evidence that you had especially sensitive hearing. I do vision science for a living (over a hundred journal papers, invited talks all over the world, blah, blah, blah), and I know there are limits to our perceptual abilities. I also know how susceptible we are to suggestions that, as individuals, we are so special we see or hear more than others. We are very lucky (or perhaps not, because we have to spend more) if we do!

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #1,175 of 2,258
180603-Overlaid Harman target-responses_0.png fiio-fh5.png Look at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/harman-tweaks-its-headphone-target-response
And compare with fh5 freq resp
They are close enough. I think it is reason why fh5 sounds so sweet and nice for most people
Really love fh5 sound

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #1,176 of 2,258
this might not be related to the thread but anyone have experience with A&K T8ie (1st gen)?
my cousin is asking if I want to trade my FH5 for that. Just want to know if it's worth it.

I adore FH5 W-shape but the comfort is still not good for me (surprisingly) after various tips.

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #1,178 of 2,258
Guys, I got the FH5 but I'm having serious issues about the tips sliding/popping off. I'm tired of usiing tweezers to remove the fallen tips out of my ear. Even if I leave the phones outside, I can watch the tips sliding slowly until they pop off.

I tried to inset the tips in all kind of different depths of the nozzle but the issue remained. The middle groove of the nozzle is forcing the tips out instead of holding them. I loved the sound but right now they are unuseable.

Nov 3, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #1,179 of 2,258
The fit is terrible with all the tips for me and aftermarket ones as well. Along with firmware, IEMs aren't their strongest point. Remember the F9. Re-designed after a couple of months!

Nov 3, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #1,180 of 2,258
Gosh, I am not having any fitment or tip issues with the FH5 at all. In fact I have had 3 different pairs of TOTL (from a fanboi driven brand here) and much prefer the FH5 to all of them!

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #1,185 of 2,258
Here is video proof of my issue. The tip doesn't last 1 whole minute.

Sorry but it does look like you didn't insert it all the way in. Have you tried installing the tips according to Fiio direction?
It should cover complete the nozzle so shouldn't be able to see nozzle part when properly inserted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back