FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Aug 29, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #886 of 2,258
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 29, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #889 of 2,258
Hi, if I could afford to go for the F9 Pro but it makes me doubt if it really is worth the difference.
From the reviews that I could see, they say that the F9 are more warm and serious more relaxed. And the F9 PRO are more neutral and very detailed.
I do not doubt that the FH5 are better than the F9 PRO but I would like to know if it really is worth paying those 120 dollars or so.

Long story short, it depends.

Do not go for F9 over F9Pro, if you can add the money for F9Pro

As for FH5, those are pretty different products.

F9Pro is rather neutral and bright in comparison, FH5 is much thicker and bassier, much more fun rather than mature, and with a smaller soundstage width.

If you prefer the overall tuning, FH5 is clearly better technically, but I suggest not getting something technically better, if you don't like the base signature. I personally like FH5 more than F9Pro, but that is because FH5 is just brilliant, not only it sounds good, it is also comfortable. How comfortable F9Pro is, I would sometimes wear them just to keep my ears comfy with somethuing that sounds good. Same for FH5, it is a brilliant product, fun to wear and use. They sound really nice.

Now, whether the increase in price is worth for you personally, I cannot say. I'd suggest getting it if curiosity is too strong. Or get F9Pro first, then listen to them and see how you like them. If you'll want something bassier and thicker by that point, then go for FH5.

If you knew the type of signature you want, it would be simpler to recommend something, as long as you don't know, it is complicated to recommend something and be sure how you will feel about it.

Haha, I am waiting for a consensus that the Oriolus Finschi is better than the FH5 as it’s almost $100 cheaper

I had not heard any Orilous, but as I try to explain above, better is quite subjective. Better tuning means a tuning you like better personally. And better technical ability doesn't mean that you will like something better, unless you also like the tuning :)

Most people who are happy with advice, seem to be looking for a combo of both a tuning that works well for them, and technical ability, but most will spend more understanding the kind of tuning they want.

Aug 29, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #890 of 2,258
I just bought the FH5 to go with my new FiiO x5iii player, and I attempted to get the balanced FiiO cable with the 2.5mm termination that will allow connecting my FH5 IEMs to my x5iii balanced output.

The cable I got is FiiO, shown in this picture, and I wonder if it is the same “official” FiiO balanced cable that’s they include with their F9 and F9 Pro. Is it?

It had a few disappointments for me vs. the single ended cable that came with the FH5, which is why Inwondered if this is the right FiiO balanced cable:

1. No indication of right and left MMCX connector...both look the same;
2. Straight rather than right angle jack into x5iii;
3. Overall lighter, more flexible construction;
4. No memory wire over the ears.

Is this the right FiiO balanced cable? Thanks. (Sounds great, by the way).

5ACCC43C-3727-47A7-A930-A46E956D891B.png

Aug 29, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #891 of 2,258
I just bought the FH5 to go with my new FiiO x5iii player, and I attempted to get the balanced FiiO cable with the 2.5mm termination that will allow connecting my FH5 IEMs to my x5iii balanced output.

The cable I got is FiiO, shown in this picture, and I wonder if it is the same “official” FiiO balanced cable that’s they include with their F9 and F9 Pro. Is it?

It had a few disappointments for me vs. the single ended cable that came with the FH5, which is why Inwondered if this is the right FiiO balanced cable:

That does not look like the balanced cable included with F9 and F9Pro

For one thing, that one tends to be black in color, and has a different jack connector

Audiophile-Heaven-FiiO-F9Pro-Review-18.jpg

Audiophile-Heaven-FiiO-F9Pro-Review-19.jpg

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #892 of 2,258

That is one of the Fiio aftermarket cables. I've never seen it included with any of their headphones, and I think the ones that are seem to be nicer. I got one of the ones you show and sent it back because the plugs didn't fit in my IEMs correctly.

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #893 of 2,258
Haha, I am waiting for a consensus that the Oriolus Finschi is better than the FH5 as it’s almost $100 cheaper
I have the Finschi and prefer it over the EE Bravado, but I also really like the FH1 for $100 less than the Finschi. I use a Sony ZX300 balanced with a Norne audio Therium silver, the vocals and bass on the Finschi are outstanding. I think for $179 absolute steal.

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #894 of 2,258
I have the Finschi and prefer it over the EE Bravado, but I also really like the FH1 for $100 less than the Finschi. I use a Sony ZX300 balanced with a Norne audio Therium silver, the vocals and bass on the Finschi are outstanding. I think for $179 absolute steal.

guess it's down to the Finschi and F9 Pro then. i'll prob pick one. unfortunately i can't demo any of these due to where i am located.

edit: in summary, FH5 < Finschi? i'd also presume that the CA Comets don't stand a chance since they retail for $199

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #896 of 2,258
I wouldn't underestimate the CA Comets just because they are $199. They are surprisingly good considering the low cost.

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #897 of 2,258

Hi. The SE cable included with the FiiO FH5 is the new LC-3.5B. There are 6 new FiiO high quality cables for FiiO FH5:

LC-3.5B (FiiO FH5)
LC-2.5B
LC-4.4B

LC-3.5C
LC-2.5C
LC-4.4C

Sep 1, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #898 of 2,258
Received today the Symbio W tips.
I am very grateful to people advising these as they are top notch.
Even better, I can use both medium, for a clearer and leaner sound, and also large tips for a more bass heavy sound (as they are isolating more and going less deep in the ear canal).
This is just great, thanks !

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #899 of 2,258
Even better, I can use both medium, for a clearer and leaner sound, and also large tips for a more bass heavy sound (as they are isolating more and going less deep in the ear canal).
This is just great, thanks !

Great! I’m glad to see it wasn’t just me hearing the wicked bass with the new tips in large. I opt for medium most of the time.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #900 of 2,258
guess it's down to the Finschi and F9 Pro then. i'll prob pick one. unfortunately i can't demo any of these due to where i am located.

edit: in summary, FH5 < Finschi? i'd also presume that the CA Comets don't stand a chance since they retail for $199

I tried and compared Finschi and FH05 today at E-Earphone in Tokyo, and I must say I prefered the FH5!
Finschi is a little more extended in the high frequencies but overall slightly more v-shaped. FH05 sounds a little thicker and to my ears imaging and layering was better.
And built quality of the FH05 is definitely on another level.
Both are definitely way above their price range though and it might be a question of taste sound wise.

By the way, I also had the chance to finally compare Fidue Sirius to FH05, since they have so much in common. And in fact they sound (not only look) very similar! Though I still see the Sirius ahead due to its wider soundstage and overall airier sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back