FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Aug 4, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #691 of 2,258
Thanks a lot!

Do they more roll off the highs than the ones that came with FH5?

They did for me. They also provided the best seal and isolation, though. The FH5 nozzle depth has been a challenge for my ears, and extending the bass tip stem length helped me.

I’m getting tired of constantly replacing Comply tips when they’re running $20 for a set of 3 pairs. I may roll the dice on some large Symbio W tips. Sigh.

Aug 5, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #692 of 2,258
They did for me. They also provided the best seal and isolation, though. The FH5 nozzle depth has been a challenge for my ears, and extending the bass tip stem length helped me.

I’m getting tired of constantly replacing Comply tips when they’re running $20 for a set of 3 pairs. I may roll the dice on some large Symbio W tips. Sigh.

Quite same experience with me...
I have purchased the Symbio 3 sizes and also couldn't get a good fit with any of the tips, just no good seal which is quite strange... may be doing something wrong! I have in fact purchased the Normal bore version which is still possible to attach to the nozzle just a bit tougher to fit them in, however don't think this can be the reason for no seal!
The Comply T600 on the other hand achieves a good seal, this was the first time I could enjoy the bass from these IEM but the highs are indeed more rolled off with the Comply! Still enjoying these tips much more than any others until now...

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #695 of 2,258
I get a pretty deep fit with most tips on my F9. On my FH5 I get a marginally deep fit (not as deep as F9) with SpinFits. I experimented with different tips and the deepest and most comfortable were my small double flange Earsonics ES3 tips.

F9 Pro had more ear insertion than FH5.

RnTpOjV.jpeg

I followed the great idea of a colleague in this forum, and used a tube of one of the size S tips (which I was never going to use). Cutting the tube in half makes the tips stick out a little more and ensures that the seal is correct when the tip is inserted further into the ear.

3bnI4tF.jpeg

The truth is that in the photo FH5 looks like a pair of boots.

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #699 of 2,258
Mickey Mouse boots exactly. Do the tips come off in your ear with this mod?

With the stock tips, I found that the body was in contact with my superior crus, and would cause some discomfort, and also prevented full insertion.

I added ~3 mm, so the stem goes up the lip, but not down it. They haven’t come off in my ears, but they have come off in my pocket.
I cut them using scissors, so precision wasn’t in the cards. I’ll try to get them to 2 mm with a razor blade, to improve retention.

As they are, I don’t feel any points of contact in my pinna, which shows that FiiO did a pretty good job with a larger-sized universal.

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #701 of 2,258
I had these for over two weeks and I'm really staring to hate them. I no longer enjoy any of my other IEMs. Every time I picked something else all I wanted is to go back to the FH5. For me they have the perfect balance betwen analytical and fun, revealing and laid back. I've listened for hours every day since I got them and still haven't got tired of them, such a nice sound, a joy to listen.

Aug 5, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #702 of 2,258
Has anyone tried some double flange eartips? I never did, they seem to have better insertion but I wonder if they change the signature or they just maintain it with better isolation.

I use a wide bore double flange. In fact looks just like this random pic I found on the googlator. I believe they are brainwavz variety. Not a 100% sure but I can't use any other tip on the FH5 after using these. But since we all have different shaped ears I can't say this will work for everyone.

I do know the FH5 would have benefitted from a longer nozzle. The short nozzle people are having some minor issue with. This is the reason why I am using these double flange tips. These tips extend the nozzle, sits long on them and with the combination of the wide bore gives the best bass to treble mix for me.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #703 of 2,258
...I do know the FH5 would have benefitted from a longer nozzle. The short nozzle people are having some minor issue with. This is the reason why I am using these double flange tips. These tips extend the nozzle, sits long on them and with the combination of the wide bore gives the best bass to treble mix for me.

I’ll give the double-flange a try. Note that the length of the nozzle isn’t the exact metric; it’s the distance from the base of the nozzle to the first feature of the enclosure that comes in contact with any part of the pinna.

Aug 5, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #704 of 2,258
I use a wide bore double flange. In fact looks just like this random pic I found on the googlator. I believe they are brainwavz variety. Not a 100% sure but I can't use any other tip on the FH5 after using these. But since we all have different shaped ears I can't say this will work for everyone.

I do know the FH5 would have benefitted from a longer nozzle. The short nozzle people are having some minor issue with. This is the reason why I am using these double flange tips. These tips extend the nozzle, sits long on them and with the combination of the wide bore gives the best bass to treble mix for me.

Im thinking of getting the Spinfit CP240 so I wanted a second option before spending 20 bucks.
Thanks !

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #705 of 2,258
4.4mm balanced cable arrived, with the expected quality as per FiiO. Time for some serious listening.

IMG_20180806_090342.jpg
IMG_20180806_111404.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back