FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Dec 4, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,441 of 2,258
Just got this in today. Took all of five days to order and deliver from Amazon UK, for not much more than it would have taken to order from Aliexpress (and then wait a month for delivery!). Quality is outstanding - every bit as good as what I've read about the stock FH5 cable. Sheathed right through with a movable Y-split. Best quality MMCX cable I've seen in fact. Not sure why FiiO made their more "advanced" C cable so seemingly poor by comparison (not that the C is a bad cable at all, just pales in comparison to the build quality of the B cable).

Now all I need is the actual IEMs, which are still en route in the mail! Will post proper listening impressions (balanced vs unbalanced, and comparisons with two other earphones) once I get them in the next week or so. Until then I get to just enjoy looking at and playing with this beauty :p

IMG_4045.jpg
IMG_4046.jpg

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #1,442 of 2,258
While we talking about FiiO cable, I hope @JamesFiiO consider this in their future cables.
I was surprised when I discovered that the flexible sheathing of the B variant don't extend up to the MMCX connector, instead it end up at the bulky joint and another harder sheathing start from there.
This is bad design by nature, as it does not use the hook around your ear as a tension relief, and simply move the week points in the cable form the MMCX connectors to this bulky joint where the two sheathings meet.

I will not claim I was super carful with mine, but the flexible sheathing for one ear did come out from the bulky joint and now I have the two internal wire exposed.
Not exactly sure what you mean by 'flexible sheathing'? Both L and R cables are sheathed all the way though from the connector to the MMCX connectors, with extra thicker 'memory' sheathing for an over-ear fit before each MMCX connector. At no point along the cable - either before or after the flexible Y-split - are any of the actual wires exposed. You'd have to be pretty rough with your cables to tear the sheathing at any point to expose the wires. Can you post pics?

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #1,443 of 2,258
I am attaching the FH5 to Q5, both are new. over hours i started to notice that the bass it getting better, more punchy, more tight, more detailed, that's why i was wondering about the burn in of the FH5, but then may be it the Q5 ???

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #1,444 of 2,258
Bass improvement more than likely the Q5 with a little help from brain burn-in. I am very happy with my FH5's running with my Fiio M7, Cowon J3 or my Samsung Galaxy S7. I do find myself using it less since purchasing the TFZ SG3 and Magaosi K6. I don't think I would ever sell my FH5's though.

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #1,445 of 2,258
Not exactly sure what you mean by 'flexible sheathing'? Both L and R cables are sheathed all the way though from the connector to the MMCX connectors, with extra thicker 'memory' sheathing for an over-ear fit before each MMCX connector. At no point along the cable - either before or after the flexible Y-split - are any of the actual wires exposed. You'd have to be pretty rough with your cables to tear the sheathing at any point to expose the wires. Can you post pics?

It is glued up right now, but under the glue you will find the two twisted inner conductors exposed. And by flexible I meant the part that isn't thicker/'memory'.

The cable feel nice indeed, but by no mean there is one continuous sheathing to the MMCX Connectors if the normal sheathing and the 'memory' sheathing will be connected to each other by glue.
Having the memory sheathing on-top the normal sheathing is objectively a better design.

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #1,448 of 2,258
George - nothing changes a lot because of "break-in" unless you're talking about speakers, or perhaps things like tubes, and some electrical gear (capacitors). Even then though, the changes are pretty minor.

And those changes in bass could be:
- brain burn-in (ie you've got used to the signature) *perceived change*
- different volume, different song, different time of day etc *perceived change*
- different tips, different insertion angle, different insertion depth *actual frequency change*

Burn in with these earphones won't change anything. Lets not perpetuate a myth :wink:

Well, I heard the improvement with Speakers, and it was quite massive :)

With headphones and IEMs, I really am not sure. I tend to listen for 100 hours before starting to write my thoughts anyways.

I tend to recommend to get some time with a IEM before fully judging it, but it could be much more of a brain burn-in that happens in that time.

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #1,449 of 2,258
Something I’ve noticed, the stock cable “memory” wire hook area seems much larger than normal ear hooks, which causes the wire to rub against my jaw. Does anyone else run into this?

They're definitely larger and the wire is thicker but i think it's still pretty comfy.
No idea whether the LC3.5C is worth the £50 upgrade

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #1,451 of 2,258
They're definitely larger and the wire is thicker but i think it's still pretty comfy.
No idea whether the LC3.5C is worth the £50 upgrade
The LC series of cables is certainly worth it in my case And your equipment allows the difference to be heard. It is more pronounced with the balanced version in 2.5 or 4.4 mm. The silver does give the highs more air and a pristine character. If you are not into that and likes more bass, copper cables are still the way to go. In this case, the supplied cable is good enough.

My two cents.

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #1,452 of 2,258
The LC series of cables is certainly worth it in my case And your equipment allows the difference to be heard. It is more pronounced with the balanced version in 2.5 or 4.4 mm. The silver does give the highs more air and a pristine character. If you are not into that and likes more bass, copper cables are still the way to go. In this case, the supplied cable is good enough.

My two cents.
Would be interested to see the measurements which confirm an actual change. If there is more bass or more highs, it will be measurable.

FTR I have measured pure copper and SPC, and there is no difference between balanced and single-ended, none which would audible anyway. Difference in volume depending on source. Could that be what you’re hearing / interpreting?

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #1,453 of 2,258
Would be interested to see the measurements which confirm an actual change. If there is more bass or more highs, it will be measurable.

FTR I have measured pure copper and SPC, and there is no difference between balanced and single-ended, none which would audible anyway. Difference in volume depending on source. Could that be what you’re hearing / interpreting?

I agree that the difference in balanced and single end may be due to perceived volume increase that may accentuate the frequencies. As for copper vs silver, I would too be interested in what the measurements reveal.

However, in this hobby of ours, the satisfaction I feel is what is "percieved". Measured results vs feeling has always been debated.

I have been in the hobby awhile though mainly with main systems. The difference felt with copper vs SPC vs pure Silver is there to me. Though it may not be measurable significantly. Psycho acoustic? Different strokes for different folks.

What I have learnt from years of having a very slim wallet is: like what you spend your money on.

That being said, I am always open to measured confirmation or debunks.

Cheers.

Dec 13, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #1,455 of 2,258
Hi @JamesFiiO - can you tell me which foam tips come with the FH5 as I’d like to buy a few replacements? Do you also make slightly longer foam tips for the FH5?

Also can you tell me which Comply tips (size) will fit the FH5?

Thanks.

Comply 400 Series work. I’ve also heard that the 500 Series work as well and and have the added benefit of being a little longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back