FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Dec 1, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #1,427 of 2,258
Would be great if also large size memory foam and also Fiio comes up with Symbio W like hybrid tips with foam supported were both included. I wish these two types of tips would be included for iems as industry standard.

Stock memory foam had the most balanced response to my ears, and for large ear canals like mine, larger size is warranted.

+1. Didn't really under why only 3 mediums foams are included, but other tips have S,M and L.

Dec 1, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #1,428 of 2,258
Got a triple flange ear tips, They improve the sound dramatically, the sub-bass is ground breaking, and also the female vocals has much improved. these earphones are so fit dependant. if just the nozzle was 3 mm longer! the fit for all types of tips would have been much better!

If it works for you, it's all good, but dunno about the bore sizes on these to respresent the sound stage and overall response the it was intended or the best.

These triple bore outlet iems seems to sound best out of wide bore sizes (of a certain diameter) like the provided memory foam or the Symbio W. Those triple flanges tend to have a narrow bore.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #1,429 of 2,258
Status update, I'm still a big fan of these little guys! I prefer these over the Audeze Mobius I sold to pay for these.

And I'd like to go against the grain and say I'm glad these have a shallow nozzle. One of my problems with IEMs is if they're inserted too deep into my ear, the soundstage collapses into basically a single point in the middle of my head. This complete lack of soundstage somehow makes it extremely difficult to actually focus on the music. It's such a strange sensation, and I really don't like it. This means I always need to insert IEMs as shallow as possible to try to prevent this problem (which obviously doesn't work with all IEMs). The FH5 in turn make it almost impossible for this problem to pop up, which I love!

I did have trouble getting a seal at first in my right ear, but I realized it was because I was wearing the wrong size tips. I'm normally a medium, but because of the shallow insertion, I just needed to go up a size and they fit/sealed perfectly! It's worth a try for those with seal issues. :)

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #1,431 of 2,258
If it works for you, it's all good, but dunno about the bore sizes on these to respresent the sound stage and overall response the it was intended or the best.

These triple bore outlet iems seems to sound best out of wide bore sizes (of a certain diameter) like the provided memory foam or the Symbio W. Those triple flanges tend to have a narrow bore.
To be honest I was not expecting they sound good specially that they are so cheap non-brand,but then to my surprise, they sound like the vocal tips while having the same enhanced bass from the foam tips and with wider sound stage "I don't know how", Doesn't make sense right? but they do work!

Dec 2, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #1,432 of 2,258
+1. Didn't really under why only 3 mediums foams are included, but other tips have S,M and L.
Dear friend,

Thanks for the kind feedback. We will report to the engineer about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 3, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #1,433 of 2,258
If FiiO does produce a longer nozzled FH5, thus admitting the original version wasn't quite right, will they offer a "Buy Back" scheme or similar to those of us who bought the original specification FH5?

I can see trying to sell your original FH5's being troublesome with a new version available, bearing in mind it's not like the Sennheiser 800 and 800s situation, where there were many years between the two versions.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #1,436 of 2,258
Guys, how long do you think is the burning time for these? 100 hours?

Around 100 Hours, just to be sure, but the sound didn't change quite that much for me. I do this for the sake of being consistent, some equipment changes a lot, while other don't change much. If anything, I noticed that the bass was better after more time, a bit tighter, more detailed :)

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #1,437 of 2,258
Guys, how long do you think is the burning time for these? 100 hours?
There is no burn-in required. The FH5 have a 10mm DD and 3 x BA (single and dual) micro drivers. BA's don't need burn-in or break-in, and the DD doesn't have a spider (or surround) which is the only part in a speaker which can change through break-in.

This is the comment about break-in from Shure - who are the largest manufacturer of IEMs on the planet: https://www.shure.com/americas/support/find-an-answer/burning-in-earphones-or-breaking-in-earphones

Shure earphones do not require a break-in period. Some headphone websites recommend "burning in" or "breaking in" new headphones with an audio signal for some length of time before use. There is some truth behind the idea of a break-in period for loudspeakers and even full-size headphones. The part of the loudspeaker being "broken in" is called the surround, which is the part that flexes when the speaker diaphragm moves in and out. In the case of the tiny drivers used in earphones, the diaphragm only moves about 1/1,000th of an inch in either direction when exposed to normal signals. It is doubtful that a break-in period would significantly alter the compliance of the driver. Shure has not measured any difference in performance between earphones that are brand new and earphones that have been used extensively. Because hearing is subjective, however, different users may hear different things when comparing new and used earphones.

If you want to do it anyway - it won't hurt the earphones, and people go through with the ritual despite it having absolutely no measurable effect on the sound. But if it makes you feel better - go for it.

FWIW - I've measured a lot of these different earphones on arrival, and then 100's of hours later. I am yet to hear, or measure, a difference.

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #1,438 of 2,258
Around 100 Hours, just to be sure, but the sound didn't change quite that much for me. I do this for the sake of being consistent, some equipment changes a lot, while other don't change much. If anything, I noticed that the bass was better after more time, a bit tighter, more detailed :)

George - nothing changes a lot because of "break-in" unless you're talking about speakers, or perhaps things like tubes, and some electrical gear (capacitors). Even then though, the changes are pretty minor.

And those changes in bass could be:
- brain burn-in (ie you've got used to the signature) *perceived change*
- different volume, different song, different time of day etc *perceived change*
- different tips, different insertion angle, different insertion depth *actual frequency change*

Burn in with these earphones won't change anything. Lets not perpetuate a myth :wink:

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #1,439 of 2,258
There is no burn-in required. The FH5 have a 10mm DD and 3 x BA (single and dual) micro drivers. BA's don't need burn-in or break-in, and the DD doesn't have a spider (or surround) which is the only part in a speaker which can change through break-in.

This is the comment about break-in from Shure - who are the largest manufacturer of IEMs on the planet: https://www.shure.com/americas/support/find-an-answer/burning-in-earphones-or-breaking-in-earphones

If you want to do it anyway - it won't hurt the earphones, and people go through with the ritual despite it having absolutely no measurable effect on the sound. But if it makes you feel better - go for it.

FWIW - I've measured a lot of these different earphones on arrival, and then 100's of hours later. I am yet to hear, or measure, a difference.

Totally agree, however the boys in the Campfire Audio threads will strongly disagree with the statement from Shure I think. I mean something needs to justify the purchase price vs performance of these overpriced IEM’s.

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #1,440 of 2,258
If they can show me measurable evidence, then I'll take more notice. And I'm more likely to trust Shure's engineers and real measurements than anecdotal "evidence" from audiophiles who believe their hearing is more accurate than a scope :wink:

Seriously though - it came about originally from full sized speakers which have a surround which physically changes as the driver wears in. Over time, someone decided that headphones and earphones had drivers - and must be susceptible to the same things. What they missed was the missing surround, or it being so small that it would make no audible difference anyway.

And consider this:
Full sized headphones - the position of the headphones on the head, or the wear of the pads (closeness of driver to the ears) - both will create a magnitude more frequency change than any mythical "burn-in" (and those things are measurable!)
And for IEMs - depth and insertion angle do the same.

So how could anyone tell that burn-in has changed anything.

On top of that - our accurate auditory memory lasts seconds - so how can we tell when the changes supposedly take 30-100 hours. And what about listening level, or track, or time of day, or how we're feeling at the time ..... all can change our perception of what we think we're hearing. The brain is a marvellous filter - but highly susceptible to suggestion.

The quote in my sig is a pretty accurate description of what is really happening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back