FiiO FH15 Hybrid In-Ear Monitors Now on Apos
Dec 19, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #16 of 33
OK here is a close up of the JH Layla universal. Note the plastic construction. No metal filter in the nozzle that can be changed to create different sound signature. No lip to hold the tip.

Then look at the photos and details about the FH15. It has a CNC aluminum body, filters, completely different driver configuration (hybrid vs 12 BA in the Layla).

Aside from the basic shape there is no comparison.
Not to mention a "slight" difference in price :wink:

Dec 19, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #17 of 33
Lol I was thinking that too :).

12 BA that a crazy configuration in the Layla.it probably sounds amazing.

Dec 19, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #18 of 33
Lol I was thinking that too :).

12 BA that a crazy configuration in the Layla.it probably sounds amazing.
At the price of the Layla they would want to sound phenomenal :relaxed:

Dec 19, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #19 of 33
Way out of my league lol

Dec 19, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #20 of 33
Way out of my league lol
Mine too...closest I got was the Campfire Audio Solaris 2020...which honestly I found disappointing for the price...anyway off topic.

Dec 19, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #22 of 33
At the price of the Layla they would want to sound phenomenal :relaxed:
I have the Laylas but plan to try out the FH15.

Laylas can certainly be fantastic, but there are two major caveats:

1) Laylas are a major PITA to pair up. I have yet to figure out why some amps sound so different than others. when you find a pairing to suits you, stay with it! Currently, I only use the Cayin C9 with Laylas and whatever DAC source I use, the tonality remains consistent.
2) Like all JH professional IEMs, Laylas have tremendous headroom and designed for EQ. They can take up to 12 dB EQ without distortion. This means out of box, they sound a little flat so take some knowhow and time to dial up EQ to what you like.

Dec 19, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #23 of 33
Dec 19, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #24 of 33
Okay, I'm out. It's not worth wasting time here. Not a fan of JH, not a fan of Sony, and of course, not a fan of Fiio anyway. Just wanna say something meant to be said. If you're fine with shell designs of Fiio IEMs, buy them, your money, not mine.

Dec 19, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #25 of 33
No one has an issue with not being a fan of Fiio, just no need on ragging on them about something not true. Hope you find the brand and model that your so busy enjoying you spend your time chatting about how great they are... It's to easy getting caught up in the negative instead of finding something positive.

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #26 of 33
Okay, I'm out. It's not worth wasting time here. Not a fan of JH, not a fan of Sony, and of course, not a fan of Fiio anyway. Just wanna say something meant to be said. If you're fine with shell designs of Fiio IEMs, buy them, your money, not mine.
That's unfortunate. As a community, everyone here has equal rights to voice their opinion. However, that also means that everyone has a right to challenge or disagree with your opinion so be prepared to have a healthy debate. Just to say "I'm out" doesn't add anything to the vibrancy of the community. I encourage you to say more about why you feel so strongly about your opinion. If you really didn't care and just put "something out there" then perhaps you realize now that the community takes peoples' opinions seriously. That is a good thing because this community is all about sharing experiences and helping those who are looking for help and advice.

Dec 20, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #27 of 33
No one has an issue with not being a fan of Fiio, just no need on ragging on them about something not true. Hope you find the brand and model that your so busy enjoying you spend your time chatting about how great they are... It's to easy getting caught up in the negative instead of finding something positive.
That's unfortunate. As a community, everyone here has equal rights to voice their opinion. However, that also means that everyone has a right to challenge or disagree with your opinion so be prepared to have a healthy debate. Just to say "I'm out" doesn't add anything to the vibrancy of the community. I encourage you to say more about why you feel so strongly about your opinion. If you really didn't care and just put "something out there" then perhaps you realize now that the community takes peoples' opinions seriously. That is a good thing because this community is all about sharing experiences and helping those who are looking for help and advice.
Sorry for bringing the negative vibe here. Just in my eyes, they obviously look a lot like the JH AION series and it's hard to believe that people overlook that. They changed a little bit of the overall design, and added something here, something there so JH and FH15 don't become so identical. My English is bad (not using the translator), and expressing my thoughts could be hard, giving up might be a better choice because eventually, my little comment doesn't affect their sales. Can't stop people from buying them if they don't notice it so it's pointless that I have to try so hard to convince them.

Dec 20, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #28 of 33
Sorry for bringing the negative vibe here. Just in my eyes, they obviously look a lot like the JH AION series and it's hard to believe that people overlook that. They changed a little bit of the overall design, and added something here, something there so JH and FH15 don't become so identical. My English is bad (not using the translator), and expressing my thoughts could be hard, giving up might be a better choice because eventually, my little comment doesn't affect their sales. Can't stop people from buying them if they don't notice it so it's pointless that I have to try so hard to convince them.
The overall shape is similar. However as a consumer, I would love it if every universal IEM maker used this design because it fits so perfectly in my ears with the maximum about of internal volume to house multi drivers while not sticking out too much. That's the main reason I want to try the FH15. Do I think FiiO copied the design? They probably looked at a lot of competitors and picked this design so yes, but I'm sure JH did the same. Do I think there is anything wrong with it? No because for the most part universal IEMs fall into 3-4 generic shapes because of the way the human is generally shaped. There is nothing patentable about the design. Creating a shape that is going to fit 80% or more of the population of average person's ear shape does not give one much flexibility. It's only truly unique solutions like UE semi-customizable universal IEMs that get patents and cannot be copied without a license from UE. Having said that, is FiiO known to be an innovator in the IEM world? Not yet, but they are trying but also position their products to be affordable to the masses. Basically, FiiO doesn't compete in the space with JH, Noble, EE, and other established innovators so I personally don't see a conflict here.

Dec 21, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #29 of 33
The overall shape is similar. However as a consumer, I would love it if every universal IEM maker used this design because it fits so perfectly in my ears with the maximum about of internal volume to house multi drivers while not sticking out too much. That's the main reason I want to try the FH15. Do I think FiiO copied the design? They probably looked at a lot of competitors and picked this design so yes, but I'm sure JH did the same. Do I think there is anything wrong with it? No because for the most part universal IEMs fall into 3-4 generic shapes because of the way the human is generally shaped. There is nothing patentable about the design. Creating a shape that is going to fit 80% or more of the population of average person's ear shape does not give one much flexibility. It's only truly unique solutions like UE semi-customizable universal IEMs that get patents and cannot be copied without a license from UE. Having said that, is FiiO known to be an innovator in the IEM world? Not yet, but they are trying but also position their products to be affordable to the masses. Basically, FiiO doesn't compete in the space with JH, Noble, EE, and other established innovators so I personally don't see a conflict here.
Gotta agree with you that most IEM shapes are pretty much similar to optimize the inner space for drivers, the sound chamber, and ear-fitting comfort. Shure, Westone, Nuforce,... they all have the same narrow nozzled egg-shaped shells and we can all agree that they've learned from each other. Not sure which company came up with that design in the first place to say others are copying from them. For a guy like me, who appreciates unique, stylish, creative shell designs, Noble, Campfire, JH, Sony... products catch my eye at the first glance, we know they've worked so hard on those shells. It's safe and less time-consuming for Fiio to learn from the already well-received designs, but Fiio isn't a small company anymore, they've gained much attention from the community, probably it's time for them to make something of their own, especially for a flagship like FH15. That's what I wanted to say.

Dec 21, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #30 of 33
Nevermind

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back