[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Oct 29, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #631 of 1,584
I can't stop listening to these IEMs. I love how refined the mids and treble are. It's unmistakenly 1DD but with none of tuning weirdness in that region other 1DD sometimes have. The refined tuning makes it very compatible with a wide variety of different music genres and recording qualities.

This track from the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack really shows off the FD7 in a good light.

I never watched the anime but what an unexpectedly great album. Really does showcase the FD7 quite well. 👍 Spacious and atmospheric jazz recording.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #632 of 1,584
I never watched the anime but what an unexpectedly great album. Really does showcase the FD7 quite well. 👍 Spacious and atmospheric jazz recording.
If you haven't watched, you are in for a surprise and an experience that will last your lifetime, provided you like anime. Grab a six pack, with some fine steaks, kick back, and put the show on. You're not gonna regret.

Oct 29, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #633 of 1,584
If you haven't watched, you are in for a surprise and an experience that will last your lifetime, provided you like anime. Grab a six pack, with some fine steaks, kick back, and put the show on. You're not gonna regret.
I was actually looking forward to the Netflix version. But might check out the anime one in the meantime. 👍

Oct 29, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #634 of 1,584

Nice! I much prefer sharing cool music and test tracks over tired debates about snake oil. If you liked the “Waltz for Zizi” YT you’ll probably dig the rest of it, which is one reason to check out the anime. Since it’s got some genre hopping, i think the FD7 renders that whole soundtrack, no matter the instruments or style, like a champ.

Oct 29, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #635 of 1,584
Nice! I much prefer sharing cool music and test tracks over tired debates about snake oil. If you liked the “Waltz for Zizi” YT you’ll probably dig the rest of it, which is one reason to check out the anime. Since it’s got some genre hopping, i think the FD7 renders that whole soundtrack, no matter the instruments or style, like a champ.
Yup, Space Lion was prob my favorite. It just had a little bit of everything and so enjoyable to listen to. Cat Blues and Pot City were awesome too. The whole album was great. Thanks for the rec. 👍

The new series looks awesome. It's giving me The Mandalorian vibes.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #636 of 1,584
@Rockwell75 Is an FD7 / Isabellae comparison in the making? I won't pull the trigger on any of these before reading your musings... Assuming you won't have access to the Softears Turii to top it off?

drftr

I can see what I can do from memory as they're apples & oranges really. I haven't heard Isa since the summer.

Oct 29, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #639 of 1,584
So do you have it? Is the (semi)hype warranted?

I do have it at the moment I'll post some impressions once I've given it some more focused attention.

Oct 29, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #640 of 1,584
I think what needs to happen in a manufacturing aspect of these dynamic driver IEMs is they need to figure out a way to fully burn in earphones before hitting the market. I know some full size can manufacturers. Dan Clark audio. Has a video of their previous manufacturing process where they burn in each driver and match the drivers left and right. Which shows their attention to detail for the QC process before sending them to be sold.

Truth is some earphones do absolutely nothing with burn in. But a lot of them do.

I just got two Shozy earphones I will be doing reviews for and I was told to burn both sets in for a minimum of a 100 hours before assessing. It is something I do anyways but this is from the folks that make the damn thing. You figure they of all people will know what the intended sound should be and how to achieve it.

Oh well it is what it is.
My mindset: we aren’t baby birds, that need our food to be digested and then regurgitated, into our crying maws. There are several products that come to mind, where a break in/seasoning is understood (e.g. baseball glove, leather shoes/work boots, the engine in a new car, a wok, iron skillet, a tobacco pipe, …). If someone chooses to disregard a setup process (from the manufacturer), that’s on them.
Fiio and burn in. Name a better combo.

If it really makes that much difference. They should do it before they ship them away. Telling people to not use their iems while it is burning away their warranty time is not cool.
Fortunately for the U.S. market, Amazon has extended the return period to January 31st

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #641 of 1,584
Introduction to FiiO's Product Line and Update Plan in 2021--From @JamesFiiO

Chapter 19 FiiO’s First Collector’s Edition Product, FDX

It has been 14 years since FiiO was established in 2007. Over the past fourteen years, the continuous needs and suggestions of our users have long motivated us to launch hundreds of products of various categories. This has also helped us to accumulate millions of users all over the world. In addition, since the founding team of FiiO itself are audiophiles, so we have always hoped to make something memorable and collectible for ourselves. Actually, we had tried when the FH7 was launched. We made a commemorative version of the FH7 with a gold-plated shell. But we finally gave up because of immature technologies.

After the FD5 was launch, we eventually made the final decision. That is, we were not only going to make an FD7 on the basis of FD5, but also to make FDX worthy of collecting. Now our wish has finally come true. But, how should we position this product?

Firstly, FDX is based on FD7, so the sound quality of FDX is fully guaranteed. It is an excellent pair of earphones in itself.

Secondly, Though it is based on FD7, FDX is more than FD7. With an exclusive gold-silver-copper braided cable equipped, the sound quality is further improved. If there is an chance, you can try and experience the subtle difference in sound between FDX and FD7.

Thirdly, FDX is not only a commodity but an accessory. One of our greatest wish for FDX is that it can only serve as a device for listening to music, but also a collection worth showing and collecting. So we combine the gold-plated shell and imitation diamonds together to highlight the earphones. I think it will not be odd at all even when putting it in a gold shop/jewelry shop.

Some people may think that this gold-plated shell + "diamond" combination will be too high-profile to take outside. Of course, different people have different opinions. It’s our freedom to choose what we wear today, and similarly, it’s also our freedom to choose what kind of earphones to wear. What seems certain is that no matter where you go, you will surely be the center of attention with the brilliant shimmering of the gold FDX in your ears.

Fourthly, FDX is more of a souvenir to commemorate the 14th anniversary of FiiO. Therefore, many of our staff, including myself, purchased FDX at their own expense. Personally speaking, I will put FDX into a photo frame and place in the study. When I retire in the future, I can share my past stories with my grandchildren.

At the same time, in the long path of FiiO’s 14-year history, we have met and made friends with countless users. Many users not only like our products, but also establish deep relationship with our brand. For them, FDX is also a product of special sentimental value.

In light of these, we have worked hard on details such as packaging and accessories. Each pieces has exclusive 14th anniversary nameplates with serial numbers placed in the wooden case. The value and significance of FDX can be more clearly demonstrated with these magnificent details.

Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to show my gratitude to millions of FiiO fans for their support to FiiO over the past fourteen years. The past wonderful fourteen years have been turned into FDX and well collected. Let’s keep growing step by step and look forward to the future. FiiO will definitely live up to everyone's expectations and continue to provide you with more and better products.

19.jpeg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 30, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #642 of 1,584
If you like acoustic guitar Try Chris Jones Moonstruck or Niles Lofgren live.
to me the FD7 is phenomenal especially at it’s price point.

Oct 31, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #643 of 1,584
FDX pairs very well with the ifi Go Blu, especially using the 4.4mm out: ample power to drive the FDX with a warm, organic sound signature. This is yet another killer portable setup :)

Oct 31, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #644 of 1,584
I am selling now my M11 Plus LTD, because it matches not very well with the FD7. The sound of the LTD was neutral, natural, very detailed and has a huge staging. BUT! Every note sounds like there was a very thin layer of fabric on it. Every note sounded soft and not realistic. E1DA 9038s sounds much more realistic and matches very well with the FD7. With the brickwall filter and the master clock set to 50MHz it sounds perfect to my ears.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #645 of 1,584
I am selling now my M11 Plus LTD, because it matches not very well with the FD7. The sound of the LTD was neutral, natural, very detailed and has a huge staging. BUT! Every note sounds like there was a very thin layer of fabric on it. Every note sounded soft and not realistic. E1DA 9038s sounds much more realistic and matches very well with the FD7. With the brickwall filter and the master clock set to 50MHz it sounds perfect to my ears.
That's a very bold statement selling the M11 to keep the FD7 at their best. :thumbsup:
But I'm with you, the headphone/ speaker is, at least, the most important part in every chain.
Hands down on that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back