[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Sep 23, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #1,201 of 1,584
Sep 26, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #1,205 of 1,584
I’m enjoying the fdx with my cayin n8ii this evening. Really nice pairing. I wonder if fiio will ever release a fd9

Sep 26, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #1,206 of 1,584
I’m enjoying the fdx with my cayin n8ii this evening. Really nice pairing. I wonder if fiio will ever release a fd9
They ought to release one!
(Although some times the sequel is never of a match to the original movie...)

Sep 26, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #1,207 of 1,584
Hehe I know what you mean. I love the fdx as it is. It’s the one of the few iems that never gives me fatigue. It’s detailed but without pushing it on you

Sep 26, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #1,208 of 1,584

I'm fine with Fiio taking their time on the FD9... as long as they do it right. It'll be hard to top the FD7, it's still my favorite single DD IEM. Even though I only heard it briefly at CanJam, I don't think it's a far fetch to say it's basically an IEM version of the Focal Utopia. More preferable actually since it's portable.

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #1,209 of 1,584
I'm fine with Fiio taking their time on the FD9... as long as they do it right. It'll be hard to top the FD7, it's still my favorite single DD IEM. Even though I only heard it briefly at CanJam, I don't think it's a far fetch to say it's basically an IEM version of the Focal Utopia. More preferable actually since it's portable.
Funny I liken it to a mini 80+% Stellia.

Oct 4, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #1,210 of 1,584
PXL_20221004_072432731.PORTRAIT.jpg

Late night listening into the wee hours. :ksc75smile: 🎵🎶

Can't decide which I like better between G5 and Gryphon. It's really a toss up and they are evenly matched performance wise with incredible synergy with FD7. It's nice to have options. 👍

Oct 4, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #1,211 of 1,584
PXL_20221004_072432731.PORTRAIT.jpg

Can't decide which I like better between G5 and Gryphon. It's really a toss up and they are evenly matched performance wise with incredible synergy with FD7. It's nice to have options. 👍
I like the FD7 better with an Ibasso DX220 than with a Kann Alpha. The Kann Alpha uses the same chip as the G5, the ESS ES9068AS. The Alpha is a bit laid back compared to the DX220 which is the main reason why I prefer the FD7 through the 220. I think it's probably the overall voicing decisions and amplification and not the DAC.
I've considered buying the G5 myself.

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #1,212 of 1,584
The G5 is great and super versatile device. Powerful enough to power hungry planar headphones. This was something I was looking for years ago as I'm not really a DAP person and never found the appeal of it.

I'm interested in trying out a ROMH DAC someday. Seems like the great new thing. My favorite has always been a clean sabre chip, but now I also love R-2R. And I like the Cirrus logic sound a lot too. Not sure how I feel about the AKM sound. Some sound great, others sound like I'm listening through colored Church windows.

A well implemented sabre design can be just as emotive as the others. Crazy how many different type of DAC implementations there are now in just the past decade. Fun times.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #1,213 of 1,584
The G5 is great and super versatile device. Powerful enough to power hungry planar headphones. This was something I was looking for years ago as I'm not really a DAP person and never found the appeal of it.

I'm interested in trying out a ROMH DAC someday. Seems like the great new thing. My favorite has always been a clean sabre chip, but now I also love R-2R. And I like the Cirrus logic sound a lot too. Not sure how I feel about the AKM sound. Some sound great, others sound like I'm listening through colored Church windows.

A well implemented sabre design can be just as emotive as the others. Crazy how many different type of DAC implementations there are now in just the past decade. Fun times.
I read a review of the G5 and the reviewer said he liked it but at times seemed like he was making excuses for it. Said it was on the bright side of neutral and hinted that the bass was a bit on the shy side. He figured it was the DAC. But I wouldn't call the Kann Alpha with that same DAC "bright". Do you find the G5 to be on the bright side of neutral as well? That's not really what I'm looking for.

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #1,214 of 1,584
I read a review of the G5 and the reviewer said he liked it but at times seemed like he was making excuses for it. Said it was on the bright side of neutral and hinted that the bass was a bit on the shy side. He figured it was the DAC. But I wouldn't call the Kann Alpha with that same DAC "bright". Do you find the G5 to be on the bright side of neutral as well? That's not really what I'm looking for.
That's interesting because I'm not finding it bright at all. I actually find that it's on the smoother side with a hint of warmth (perhaps bump in the midbass) and we'll extended but not sharp treble. It has very much the Topping sound signature which is clean and well controlled top end, bass, and midrange.

With the Arya for example, is a treble forward headphone, but I don't find it to be bright or harsh at all with G5.

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #1,215 of 1,584

It's funny because I listened music with the same ring, this afternoon : G5 and FD7.
For me, it pairs well.
FD7 sound better with G5 than with M15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back