[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Aug 9, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #1,171 of 1,584
IMG_20220809_205015.jpg

Got the FH5s since it was going cheap at my local store. Fiio really put out a sleeper on this one. With the FH5s for my basshead needs and FD7 for natural detail I'm pretty much set for life(or untill the next hit comes to my ear that screams buy me)

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #1,172 of 1,584
IMG_20220809_205015.jpg

Got the FH5s since it was going cheap at my local store. Fiio really put out a sleeper on this one. With the FH5s for my basshead needs and FD7 for natural detail I'm pretty much set for life(or untill the next hit comes to my ear that screams buy me)
Nice, how is the pairing with the Shanling UA5?

Aug 9, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #1,173 of 1,584
Nice, how is the pairing with the Shanling UA5?
I would say pretty good, since both like a clean detailed sauce. The main issue I can see with the UA5 is that unlike prevous shanling dongles it is smoother less dynamic so people that like the UA2 pairing might find it a tad calm. That being said its leagues more detailed than prevous donges esp in the micro detail espect and both Fiio iems benifit alot form that espect.
With reguards to FD7+UA5 the slightly warm tonality of the UA5 makes everything sound richer without sacrificing saperation or slam. Particularly in songs like "into the sea of stars" by massive new krew. The constant subbass rumble that fills the intire soundstage isnt hiding any of the melody or the trebble effects that play with imaging or the constant midbass tempo slam. Kind of crazy how that is all done by 1 DD.
For proper instruments those in genshin impact the brass winds might be a tad too smooth for my taste but otherwise everything else esp the treble heavy bells and cymbals sound proper and exciting . As usual strings are the highlight where the upper mids of the pluck are showcase while the added weight from the UA5 makes it very satifying to hear.

Cant really say for the FH5s+UA5 since I'm still burning it in but its actually more neutural then the FD7 and slightly brighter when none of the switches are on. Interestingly though dispite being 1DD the FD7 is actually more detailed than the FH5s. That being said while the bass switch is up the bass slam goes to head shaking levels while still being very coherent which is what I was looking for for my bass heavy iem.

Aug 9, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #1,174 of 1,584
Interesting that the UA2 and UA5 would sound that different. Both using the same DAC and essentially the same amplifier. I know UA5 is dual Dac and amp so specs should be better but hard to see where there is much room for difference in tunings. Almost has to be done solely by passive component selection. Unless there is a significant enough difference between the amps ... Ricore amps RE6863 for UA2 and RT6863 for UA5.

I'm listening to my FD7 right now as I type. For $h*ts and giggles, I'm listening through a Hidizs AP80 Pro paired with the Hidizs DH80 amp that's made for it. So the little AP80 is being used as a transport only. I usually listen to the FD7 through an Ibasso DX220 or, sometimes, a Kann Alpha. The little AP80 Pro is a cool little DAP and in it's own right for the sub $200 price. But honestly, it's hard to listen to coming from the DX220 or the Alpha. Not that those are summit-fi players but they are significant step up from the little Hidizs. But the AP80 Pro through the DH80 is more than listenable. Still doesn't match the Ibasso or A&K but it's respectable. Uses ES9281 DAC plus dual RT6863's. Those chips seem to be showing up in everything lately.

Edit ... Just realized that UA5 has a built in battery and UA2 doesn't. Probably doesn't have anything directly to do with tuning but it ultimately could have a positive impact on overall sound.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #1,175 of 1,584
I haven't been able to stop thinking of these, even the look is so tempting for me - the lovely Art Deco on the FD7 really does it for me.

I listen to dance music pretty much exclusively, if not that, then golden age hip hop and 90s pop is what's in my ears. The info I'm getting is conflicting on whether or not they'd jive with my music choices.

For those that can speak to this comparison, how do these sound versus the FH9 (which I adore)?

Aug 13, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #1,176 of 1,584
I haven't been able to stop thinking of these, even the look is so tempting for me - the lovely Art Deco on the FD7 really does it for me.

I listen to dance music pretty much exclusively, if not that, then golden age hip hop and 90s pop is what's in my ears. The info I'm getting is conflicting on whether or not they'd jive with my music choices.

For those that can speak to this comparison, how do these sound versus the FH9 (which I adore)?
I have both the FH9 and FD7 and love both. The FD7 is more organic sounding, more emphasis on mid bass rather than sub bass, a very smooth presentation overall, no BA timbre. Personally I use the FH9 more for dance/electronic music think 90's the KLF, SNAP etc. whereas to my ears at least the FD7 is more suited to 70's and 80's classic rock or anything lacking electronic instruments. Vocals wise male or female I prefer the FD7. I dont think you would regret purchasing the FD7 as they "complement" the FH9 nicely :relaxed:
just keep in mind as others have mentioned the FD7 does require a long burn in period.

Aug 13, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #1,177 of 1,584
I have both the FH9 and FD7 and love both. The FD7 is more organic sounding, more emphasis on mid bass rather than sub bass, a very smooth presentation overall, no BA timbre. Personally I use the FH9 more for dance/electronic music think 90's the KLF, SNAP etc. whereas to my ears at least the FD7 is more suited to 70's and 80's classic rock or anything lacking electronic instruments. Vocals wise male or female I prefer the FD7. I dont think you would regret purchasing the FD7 as they "complement" the FH9 nicely :relaxed:
just keep in mind as others have mentioned the FD7 does require a long burn in period.
Lovely, thanks for this :)

Yes, I put 200 hours on both my FH5 and FH9 so i'm prepared to wait to enjoy them, lol. It seems the FD7 may not be for me, then, perhaps the FH5... but damn, do the black/gold FH7 just make my heart skip a beat!

That said, I'm also holding out to see what the FH7S brings. I loooved the bass on the FH5S (and miss it immensely), but high mids/lower treble acted as a drill on my eardrums :frowning2:

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #1,178 of 1,584
Lovely, thanks for this :)

Yes, I put 200 hours on both my FH5 and FH9 so i'm prepared to wait to enjoy them, lol. It seems the FD7 may not be for me, then, perhaps the FH5... but damn, do the black/gold FH7 just make my heart skip a beat!

That said, I'm also holding out to see what the FH7S brings. I loooved the bass on the FH5S (and miss it immensely), but high mids/lower treble acted as a drill on my eardrums :frowning2:
Oh how interesting,i just got the FH5s to compliment the FD7 as my portable bass cannon. If you still have it the key to getting good treble is to use the vocal tips. Dispite the naming it actually adds more weight to the treble and smears it abit. While that is detrimental to the FD7 with the FH5s it smooths it out just enough to make it enjoyable while still giveing that sweet air and sparkle.

That being said if possible do try out the FD7. While it isnt a bass cannon the slam is about the hardest ive heard till date.

Aug 14, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #1,179 of 1,584
Oh how interesting,i just got the FH5s to compliment the FD7 as my portable bass cannon. If you still have it the key to getting good treble is to use the vocal tips. Dispite the naming it actually adds more weight to the treble and smears it abit. While that is detrimental to the FD7 with the FH5s it smooths it out just enough to make it enjoyable while still giveing that sweet air and sparkle.

That being said if possible do try out the FD7. While it isnt a bass cannon the slam is about the hardest ive heard till date.
Another things that really sucks for me is the fact that my ear openings are inconveniently wide. The only tips that stay in my ears are 14mm+ diameter like the Spinfit CP360 and CP100, the vocal tips that came with FH9 just won't let them stay in place :frowning2:

Aug 29, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #1,181 of 1,584
Hello friends, does anyone have problems on the left side of the Fiio FD5?

I have 2 pairs. In both pairs, after unplugging the mmcx cable for the first time, the connection came loose on the left side, no matter what cable. Both right side are ok.

I have no issues related to sound, only the left side is spinning freely.

I've tried to adjust the cable according to the Fiio video, but there's no way, it keeps running loose, both the original cable and the Fiio LC-RC cable.

Sorry for my English, thanks.

Aug 29, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #1,182 of 1,584
Hello friends, does anyone have problems on the left side of the Fiio FD5?

I have 2 pairs. In both pairs, after unplugging the mmcx cable for the first time, the connection came loose on the left side, no matter what cable. Both right side are ok.

I have no issues related to sound, only the left side is spinning freely.

I've tried to adjust the cable according to the Fiio video, but there's no way, it keeps running loose, both the original cable and the Fiio LC-RC cable.

Sorry for my English, thanks.
I don't have FD5, just FD7 but it's the same difference. If it's the Fiio video I'm thinking about, it has you opening up the little ring (jump ring? split ring?) on the cable connector end. Only other adjustment I know of is, on the iem, to tighten the center "socket" that accepts the pin. But that won't keep it from spinning easily, that may just correct an issue of no sound, or intermittent sound if the pin isn't making good contact inside that socket. If it's spinning easily but you have no issues with the sound cutting out, it's technically not broken. MMCX connectors are supposed to be able to spin. Unfortunately, some of them just spin too easily. Maybe someone else knows of other adjustments that can be made. I only know of these two. Aside from that, you can sandwhich a tiny O-ring or two between the socket on the iem and the connector on the cable. That would create some friction which will keep the connector from spinning too freely.

Aug 29, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #1,183 of 1,584
I don't have FD5, just FD7 but it's the same difference. If it's the Fiio video I'm thinking about, it has you opening up the little ring (jump ring? split ring?) on the cable connector end. Only other adjustment I know of is, on the iem, to tighten the center "socket" that accepts the pin. But that won't keep it from spinning easily, that may just correct an issue of no sound, or intermittent sound if the pin isn't making good contact inside that socket. If it's spinning easily but you have no issues with the sound cutting out, it's technically not broken. MMCX connectors are supposed to be able to spin. Unfortunately, some of them just spin too easily. Maybe someone else knows of other adjustments that can be made. I only know of these two. Aside from that, you can sandwhich a tiny O-ring or two between the socket on the iem and the connector on the cable. That would create some friction which will keep the connector from spinning too freely.
Thanks for the help my friend!

It's really this video I was referring to, I did all that and it wasn't tight.

I'm going to try the o-ring method, I ordered some 3mmx1mm and 4mmx1mm.

But what I found strange about this iem specifically is that the cable comes very tight, it almost didn't turn, I just took it out for the first time and that's it, the left side started to turn freely. This happened to my 2 pairs. The right side is still perfect.

I don't like to change cables, I just wanted to put the Fiio LC-RC lol...

Now I'm waiting for an FDX, but I don't think I'll ever pull the cable.

NOTE: I have 2 FD5 because I broke the left side of the first pair trying to move around the connector, is there a fix? I'm an engineer, and this loose connection drove me crazy lol.. I tried everything.

EDIT: Sorry, now that I see I'm in the wrong thread!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #1,184 of 1,584
If you broke the MMCX connector on the iem, theres probably a fix but it probably involves taking the shell apart and replacing the connector. Problem may be finding the same connector or one that would fit. Might be easier to send it to Fiio?

I have never removed the stock cable from my FD7. But I do have other iem's with MMCX connection that I've swapped cables on. Some cables fit a little looser than others but none were ever loose enough to be a problem or a bother.

Aug 29, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #1,185 of 1,584
If you broke the MMCX connector on the iem, theres probably a fix but it probably involves taking the shell apart and replacing the connector. Problem may be finding the same connector or one that would fit. Might be easier to send it to Fiio?

I have never removed the stock cable from my FD7. But I do have other iem's with MMCX connection that I've swapped cables on. Some cables fit a little looser than others but none were ever loose enough to be a problem or a bother.
I have a few others IEM with mmcx connection, and that's what you said, some tighter or looser depending on the cable, but it never bothered me, this is the first.

As I work in the automotive industry, anything apparently loose makes me apprehensive lol... it must be some kind of perfectionism-related OCD.

I already contacted Fiio, I am waiting for an answer since in my country there is no technical assistance from them.

Thanks for all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back