[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Oct 29, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #1,231 of 1,584
I would say its up there with the big bois. To be honest the way FD7 colours the sound I havent found a iem that I can say is a a direct upgrade and since alot of totl iems are using Estat super tweeters alot of the totl simply dont have the upper treble density that DD/BA are able to make. The only diffect compertition would be the acoustune HS2000mx but thats like 2X the price and different tuning where the HS2000mx is a more fun sibilant agrassive sounding while the FD7 aims to sound on the warm side of netural.
The main downside to the FD7 is that while its capable of being very detailed alot of the mid/upper trebble is projected in a diffuse patten that gets absorbed by the tip. As such it really likes a stiff core that is accoustically reflective is preferable to listeners like myself that listen to fast tempo songs. Also the FD7 is very sensative to cable rolling. That being said its going to be hard to get a better cable than stock without spending a pretty penny as the cable needs to be agrassive and have very good saperation otherwise its very easy for the FD7 to sound like a smeary mess.
That explains why the SpinFit W1 works very well with the FD7 :relaxed:

Oct 29, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #1,232 of 1,584
I think FD7 is very underrated IMO.

I can't say where it stands technically when compared to other high-end IEMs as this is my first serious IEM. But one thing I can say is that it sounds significantly better than my previous IEMs Blessing 2 and Oxygen. I am wondering how and where do you guys rate FD7.

I was really hesitating to pull the trigger on these but I had some help from these guys... @SemiAudiophile @Ichos @gazzington. I was reading their posts of late and just trusted those guys and placed the order. I really am glad that I did, thanks guys.

FD7 is available for $430 in India right now. If anyone in India looking for an IEM in that price range, it's a steal IMO.

I am a headphones guy and FD7 seems to challenge that:L3000:

I have been extensively listening to FD7, for a guy who mostly listen to headphones that's a first. I think FD7 sounds excellent even when compared to my full size headphones (HD6XX and LCD2C). It sounds so big and open that only outclassed by headphones IMO.

I spent whole day yesterday with tips rolling. Most of the tips included are waste IMO, I think FiiO has been going with these tips for a long time now and it's high time they change the tips. Include more popular tips like Final E tips, Symbio, Alza etc...
After going through dozens of the tips I have with me (can't find my symbio tips), I have settled with these for different situations :relaxed:
PSX_20221029_175656.jpg
For it's price it is unbeatable IMHO and I find it to be my tiny portable Stellia'ish iem. It is going to be interesting to see what they can improve on with the next one.
Sounds sublime with my DX312 and outstanding on a Gryphon through BT. The right tips and fit are essential as is proper break in, spinfits are my favorite so far.

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #1,234 of 1,584
How the W1 differs from CP100?
When fitted to the FD7 the W1 has slightly less bass than the CP100 however the W1 has a much wider sound stage than either the CP100 or CP145. W1 also brings the upper midrange slightly more forward than both 🙂 the claims made by Spinfit about soundstage with the W1 are actually true.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #1,235 of 1,584
When fitted to the FD7 the W1 has slightly less bass than the CP100 however the W1 has a much wider sound stage than either the CP100 or CP145. W1 also brings the upper midrange slightly more forward than both 🙂 the claims made by Spinfit about soundstage with the W1 are actually true.
Nice, thanks. That's sounds worth a try.

I will let you know my impressions soon.

Oct 30, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #1,236 of 1,584
I think FD7 is very underrated IMO.

I can't say where it stands technically when compared to other high-end IEMs as this is my first serious IEM. But one thing I can say is that it sounds significantly better than my previous IEMs Blessing 2 and Oxygen. I am wondering how and where do you guys rate FD7.

I was really hesitating to pull the trigger on these but I had some help from these guys... @SemiAudiophile @Ichos @gazzington. I was reading their posts of late and just trusted those guys and placed the order. I really am glad that I did, thanks guys.

FD7 is available for $430 in India right now. If anyone in India looking for an IEM in that price range, it's a steal IMO.

I am a headphones guy and FD7 seems to challenge that:L3000:

I have been extensively listening to FD7, for a guy who mostly listen to headphones that's a first. I think FD7 sounds excellent even when compared to my full size headphones (HD6XX and LCD2C). It sounds so big and open that only outclassed by headphones IMO.

I spent whole day yesterday with tips rolling. Most of the tips included are waste IMO, I think FiiO has been going with these tips for a long time now and it's high time they change the tips. Include more popular tips like Final E tips, Symbio, Alza etc...
After going through dozens of the tips I have with me (can't find my symbio tips), I have settled with these for different situations :relaxed:
PSX_20221029_175656.jpg
Thanks for trust friend :) I see the fdx as kind of a hidden gem for a very reasonable price in comparison to most other iems. I never get fatigued with it as I often do with other iems.

Oct 30, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #1,237 of 1,584
Thanks for trust friend :) I see the fdx as kind of a hidden gem for a very reasonable price in comparison to most other iems. I never get fatigued with it as I often do with other iems.
Your talk about tonality and timbre really got me😊

There were talks about it being tiring for long listening. I thought my source RS6 may help with that.
But I am surprised myself that it's not fatiguing at all. I have been listening to it for hours straight that only happened with me with headphones before.

I am actually listening to it more on PM2+NX7 which has been my favourite pairing for my LCD2C too.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #1,239 of 1,584
You are right.
W1 tips do bring mids a little forward and I like it. Soundstage is a touch wider too. Too bad they are selling it only in S/M/L.

The most important thing is that they fit great, the outer material is sticky and it stays in the ears more secure.
PSX_20221101_212705~2.jpg

The bore has wider opening compared the CP100
PSX_20221101_212253~2.jpg

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #1,240 of 1,584
I have just bought a new FiiO FD7 set of IEM.

They came with sound tubes with black seal fitted to ear pieces. The spare plate with other tubes has the tubes with red seals which are obviously the small diameter ones.
The other tubes on the plate have green seals but I cannot see any difference in the bore diameter from the black seal tubes - this bore is around 3.98mm in both.
Can anyone help here?
What are the black and green tube bore sizes?

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #1,241 of 1,584

They came with sound tubes with black seal fitted to ear pieces. The spare plate with other tubes has the tubes with red seals which are obviously the small diameter ones.
The other tubes on the plate have green seals but I cannot see any difference in the bore diameter from the black seal tubes - this bore is around 3.98mm in both.
Can anyone help here?
Don't know the bore sizes but there isn't much difference in response between the black and green nozzles. Below is the FR plot of the differences between sound tubes from the Soundnews site.

And a link to the site and review ... Soundnews FD7 Review

fd7-black-vs-green-vs-red-tube.png

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #1,242 of 1,584

Can anyone help here?
The Red one is bass tube, green is treble and black is balanced tube.
I don't know about the exact bore size but if you see through the tubes, the green one's (treble) inner diameter is slightly bigger.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #1,243 of 1,584
Thanks for replies about sound tubes. I carved a wooden dowel that was a tight fit into the green tube. It wouldn't go into black so the green is bigger diameter by very little.
The difference is very little. My eyesight is poor nowadays.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,244 of 1,584
I am getting best results with largest black balanced tips in the assortment supplied with FD7.
Does anyone know who makes this tip so I can get spares?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back