[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Dec 22, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #902 of 1,584
That's exactly why I haven't had the guts to pull the trigger on the Zen Pro! But then again, I'd love to be wrong on this. It would mean I have to blind buy one though, and knowing it's probably not for me makes it a hard thing to do.

drftr
Sorry that I can't help any more.
I am going to probably have a Zen pro for review but I don't know when.

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #903 of 1,584
I am going to burn in on my smsl m3. just stream selected. for 9 days.

confused about the nozzles, I saw
small (which was obvious)
medium (to my eyes green)
large (black)

I chose the green filter. which I assumed to be balanced. foam tips.

I own moondrop variations, so I already have something with too much pinna gain. It's fun. I like horns and vocals. great experience but that's mostly why I went with fd7 (lower pinna gain) I also have fh5s coming in today, and really want to pull trigger on fh9 soon. I am probably fairly biased when it comes to fiio products. They are just fun tunings to me and fantastic build quality. I always worry about resin shells and the dunu zens give me a heart attack every time they would clank together.

I am 32 years old and have played trumpet for 9 years. For most of my life I have probably played my headphones too loud but I am starting to train my ears for lower listening levels in attempt to preserve what hearing I have left. I think after 12k it's more of a feeling or like sound pressure level for me.

I was just thinking the other night, and there are just so many things I look for in headphones, that aren't natural and are purely technical aspects created by headphones for a more engaging experience. separation, details, macrodynamics, imaging are just some things I don't recall every picking out in a symphonic live set band.

1640193251411.png

did y'all see this btw. just about 25 minutes into writing this and listening, allowing myself to create my own opinion, blon came to mind.

In my experience woodwinds and brass sections create this syrupy euphonic sound. lush and thick. BA's don't represent this IMO. They can sound cold and clinical, and sometimes I really want that but I need something like fd7 in my lineup because its in my opinion non fatiguing and euphonic. snarky puppy is interesting because they blend a lot of electric and acoustic instruments but fd7 still presents everything to me as one sound. In an acoustic environment things aren't separated and spread apart. They all blend together. I typically praise a unit and it's ability to allow me to track specific instruments and not blend them together but the more I chase that, the less natural and lush the sound becomes.

For me personally timbre, imaging, and soundstage are more important qualities to have when I think about accuracy and realism. as of right now, I think the fd7 has excellent body presence but maybe slightly lacking definition. the mids sound a bit cavernous to me. Like toms and keys sound a bit hollow in my session. I really like the treble, I think it has a nice presence and might be the best detailed out of the entire freq band. better imaging in the top end for me. timbre is great across the board. I like it better than the zen because I felt the zen had way too much pinna gain and an unnatural transient response. way too heavy.

sorry for long post and bad grammar, I am lazy. and thanks everyone else for impressions. can't want for 9 days when I can revisit these things!

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #904 of 1,584
I think I might’ve finally found a successor to my AK T8ie mkII!!

Okay, less than an hour on the clock on the FD7, but liking what I hear.

I’ll welcome myself to the club.

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #905 of 1,584
I think I might’ve finally found a successor to my AK T8ie mkII!!

Okay, less than an hour on the clock on the FD7, but liking what I hear.

I’ll welcome myself to the club.
Don't know how much of a burn in believer you are but the FD7 being pure Beryllium changes quite a bit with burn in. Your best bassy tracks on a loop highly recommended. They get better with more time on them drivers. If you just got them, ya they need some hours on the clock.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #906 of 1,584
Don't know how much of a burn in believer you are but the FD7 being pure Beryllium changes quite a bit with burn in. Your best bassy tracks on a loop highly recommended. They get better with more time on them drivers. If you just got them, ya they need some hours on the clock.
Cool beans, I’ll bear that in mind - I generally listen at quite a high volume - so that should shorten the wait to the good times!

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #907 of 1,584
As impressive they are on open listen I got easily 400 plus hours on my set and they are substantial after burn in. More spacious version of that sound your hearing is one aspect you can look forward to. Who don't like a more spacious FD7? I felt the bass got better control after some hours as well. In any case. Very enjoyable the FD7.

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #908 of 1,584
As impressive they are on open listen I got easily 400 plus hours on my set and they are substantial after burn in. More spacious version of that sound your hearing is one aspect you can look forward to. Who don't like a more spacious FD7? I felt the bass got better control after some hours as well. In any case. Very enjoyable the FD7.
Nice! What you describe there is what I want… 399hrs to go lol

Quite the irony, my only other exposure to a beryllium driver was on the Utopia, and I didn’t like the tonality at all - glad that I didn’t steer away forever!

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #910 of 1,584
I hate clichés, yet with the M11+ and FD7 together, one of my absolute favourite songs (Sara Syms, Someday) - I’ve quite generally heard instruments in the mix that I’ve not heard before, I’m in for quite the treat.

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #911 of 1,584
That's exactly why I haven't had the guts to pull the trigger on the Zen Pro! But then again, I'd love to be wrong on this. It would mean I have to blind buy one though, and knowing it's probably not for me makes it a hard thing to do.

drftr

My brief time with ZEN PRO didn't reveal any spicy highs but I'll let you know in a few days. IE900 for sure in the highest treble level, Dark Sky in a lower treble level but I'm pretty certain ZEN PRO are well behaved in that general upper region... my first impressions were definitely how incredibly balanced they sound versus anything else I own.

Dec 22, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #912 of 1,584
I am going to burn in on my smsl m3. just stream selected. for 9 days.
I chose the green filter. which I assumed to be balanced. foam tips.

For me personally timbre, imaging, and soundstage are more important qualities to have when I think about accuracy and realism. as of right now, I think the fd7 has excellent body presence but maybe slightly lacking definition. the mids sound a bit cavernous to me. Like toms and keys sound a bit hollow in my session. I really like the treble, I think it has a nice presence and might be the best detailed out of the entire freq band. better imaging in the top end for me. timbre is great across the board. I like it better than the zen because I felt the zen had way too much pinna gain and an unnatural transient response. way too heavy.
For some perspective, I like to break up the burn in process. So for me the 200 hrs. took 12 days
I’m on the green filter as well
In my experience drivers that need a good break in period usually sound compressed, thin and or muddy, out of the box.

Hopefully you got the FH5s at Amazon, so you’ll have to the end of January to compare the two FiiO IEMs. For expansive songs (like: “The Wall”, “All along the Watchtower”, “The Chain”,…) and vocals (“Ain’t No Sunshine”, “Good Vibrations”,…), I find the FH5s a distant 2nd place, to the FD7. Of course, “your mileage will vary”, because of all of the variables that separate our analog ears.

Dec 22, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #913 of 1,584
So, I actually used some rewards points at audio46. Got the fh5s for $160. Just picked them up. Actually, what you described, "... compressed, thin and or muddy, out of the box." is exactly how I felt about the fd5. But I had a little more time on them than the fd7, which I didn't hear those things in what I was listening to.

edit: just for comparison I was listening to selected. for a second followed by snarky puppy on the fd7. I listened to tool fairly extensively on the fd5. Still probably less than 15 hrs on them total.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #915 of 1,584

Users who are viewing this thread

Back