[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Jan 6, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #931 of 1,584
First purchase of 2022. FDX incoming.

I've enjoyed the FH7 since Duncan recommended them and have enjoyed reading all of your reviews and comments. I was waiting for IE900 listen as the IE800's were fantastic save for the cable issues - cracking and Y splitter designed for v small heads!!

Looking forward to getting back to single DD for a while. Don't get me wrong, Roxanne with silver cable still leads the IEM race in this house but convenience and different moods requires different sounds!

Regards

Sceptre
Congrats! Hope u enjoy them.

FD7 and U12t are still my main BAE's.

I like the IE900 too but I feel like the FD7 can do the same things it does but just better. Specifically in soundstage has more depth and more openness which contributes to better imaging. Resolution is also a notch above. I also prefer the mids on FD7 a lot more. To my ears of course, YMMV.

IE900 sits between FD5 and FD7 to me. Tuning is more like FD5 but detail and resolution is closer to FD7.

I think the IE900 is a better all-arounder though that'll sound good with any type of music just like the U12t.

For the FD7, they are quite versatile as well. But I think they sound the best with natural, acoustic, ambient, well recorded music.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #932 of 1,584

I like the IE900 too but I feel like the FD7 can do the same things it does but just better. Specifically in soundstage has more depth and more openness which contributes to better imaging. Resolution is also a notch above. I also prefer the mids on FD7 a lot more. To my ears of course, YMMV.

IE900 sits between FD5 and FD7 to me. Tuning is more like FD5 but detail and resolution is closer to FD7.
Have you done any more detailed write-up about FD7 vs U12t differences than what you have shared on the Watercooler? Still awaiting my U12t but since I only have a 2 week window to do any comparisons with other IEMs in Europe I'm trying to absord anything others see as attention points. Tnx...

drftr

Jan 6, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #933 of 1,584
Have you done any more detailed write-up about FD7 vs U12t differences than what you have shared on the Watercooler? Still awaiting my U12t but since I only have a 2 week window to do any comparisons with other IEMs in Europe I'm trying to absord anything others see as attention points. Tnx...

drftr
I haven't. I'll try to post something later here tonight or I can PM you directly if you prefer.

Jan 7, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #935 of 1,584

I think the IE900 is a better all-arounder though that'll sound good with any type of music just like the U12t.

For the FD7, they are quite versatile as well. But I think they sound the best with natural, acoustic, ambient, well recorded music.
It's surprising to hear that the ie900 is at par with the FD7 at more than double the price point. Chickenmoon gave a short impression of the Turii vs the FD7. Crinacle favours the Turii to the ie900. So, it should be ie900 <= FD7 <= Turii. A level playing field with the big DD boys.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #936 of 1,584
It's surprising to hear that the ie900 is at par with the FD7 at more than double the price point. Chickenmoon gave a short impression of the Turii vs the FD7. Crinacle favours the Turii to the ie900. So, it should be ie900 <= FD7 <= Turii. A level playing field with the big DD boys.
Don't take it as a fact but just my opinion. It could be that I'm just not getting the ideal fit with the IE900. So far the best sound I'm getting is with AET07 or stock foam tips but I can't decide which I like better. Also, I'm finding the bass to be good but not exceptional or particularly great like everyone is saying. So it's a possibility that either I'm not getting the right fit or maybe mines is defective.

But yes the FD7 can definitely hang with the big boys. 😉

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #937 of 1,584
I haven't heard FD7 and possibly will at some point but if its bass is at IE900 level, I'm certainly intrigued!

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #939 of 1,584
Hi guys
Is Fdx is better or different for sound qual?
I am considering to buy one of them?
I believe the construction to be the same save for 24k coating and some external bling. I think they have a different cable though with copper silver and gold. I'd expect the cable to have an effect on sound, and I also believe in the effect of burn in from personal experience.

Regards

Sceptre

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #940 of 1,584
I agree with the cable having more of an affect on the FDX sound signature more so than the tuning which should be the same as the standard FD7. I do cable reviews and I have a firm understanding what gold plating does for a cable. I wager to guess the FDX, again more so due to the cable should be a touch richer sounding experience with a more rounder defined treble end. So it will give the perception of more refinement vs the standard FD7 but it is easy to get the FD7 to sound the same. Just get the same cable or any aftermarket cable with some gold plating on it and it will have a similar effect. ---

The only caviate is that the gold plated cables, real gold plated cables are expensive so Fiios version is competitive at the asking price.
1641586284268.png

1641586549524.png

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #941 of 1,584
First purchase of 2022. FDX incoming.

I've enjoyed the FH7 since Duncan recommended them and have enjoyed reading all of your reviews and comments. I was waiting for IE900 listen as the IE800's were fantastic save for the cable issues - cracking and Y splitter designed for v small heads!!

Looking forward to getting back to single DD for a while. Don't get me wrong, Roxanne with silver cable still leads the IEM race in this house but convenience and different moods requires different sounds!

Regards

Sceptre
Seems I might be a bad influence!

I prefer the FD7 to my Layla with Silver Dragon V2 - I wasn’t previously a fan of beryllium drivers, @FiiO changed all of that for me.

The FD7 / FDX sounds more mature than the FH7.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #942 of 1,584
I was reading the comparison of the IE900 to the FDX, which I am interested in as I recently traded in an IE800 for a modded IE800S which I am liking more and more, as one of the most musical IEMs I have heard. If the IE900 is along the same path as the IE800(s), then I am very interested in it.
So I did a quick comparison with my FDX(with original cable) and my IE800S (modded with MMCX, and Normal tip that takes regular silicon tips), connected to a T9IE cable. This is the cable that was sold with the AK T9IE.
- FDX is good, transparent, detailed, but in comparison,

- The IE800S is better with textures/timbre on voices, instruments. The tuning and synergy (ZX507 modded, IE800S with T9IE cable) gives a rich, transparent, involving sound. “Musical, Involving, Emotive”. The bass / mid bass is more apparent, sounding almost too much, but after getting used to it, gives an involving, musical/involving SQ. Not sure if it is emphasized, or more true, but it is like listening to a good home audio system, organic, analog, pulling you into the music. In this aspect, nothing else has been able to achieve this for me. Just makes you listen to music, and forget about everything else.

So sharing my observation is more to say how good the IE800S (and IE900?, which I have not heard), and how much potential it has, and to not write it off too quickly. Personally, I find myself extremely impressed with how musical my IE800S, and how it just makes music involving, emotive, so you forget about everything else, and just enjoy the music.

I apologize that my setup/synergy is kind of particular, and hard for most people to compare/evaluate.
- System: ZX507 which I have modded with Mundorf silver wires

Edit: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/post-15857659 https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/page-258
- IE800S: Modded by a local HK shop. Changed the connector to MMCX, and replace the tip so that it takes normal eartips, instead of the horrible Sennheiser custom clip that only fits Senn silicon tips.
- TIPs - cheap silicon tips, inverted. I do have Final E, Sedna Earfit Xelastic, Mandarin orange hybrids, etc., but am finding the shape of the inverted tips provide a better, and consistent seal, and they have a trumpet like wide bore shape.
- My main evaluation method is whether the system makes music enjoyable, immersive.

Other IEMs I own, but have not done comparisons with. IER-Z1R, IER-M9, IER-Z5, EX1000, and others by Final, and QDC (8sl, 4ss, 5sh, V3)

IMG_5364.jpgIMG_5366.jpgIMG_5370.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #943 of 1,584
I was reading the comparison of the IE900 to the FDX, which I am interested in as I recently traded in an IE800 for a modded IE800S which I am liking more and more, as one of the most musical IEMs I have heard. If the IE900 is along the same path as the IE800(s), then I am very interested in it.
So I did a quick comparison with my FDX(with original cable) and my IE800S (modded with MMCX, and Normal tip that takes regular silicon tips), connected to a T9IE cable. This is the cable that was sold with the AK T9IE.
- FDX is good, transparent, detailed, but in comparison,

- The IE800S is better with textures/timbre on voices, instruments. The tuning and synergy (ZX507 modded, IE800S with T9IE cable) gives a rich, transparent, involving sound. “Musical, Involving, Emotive”. The bass / mid bass is more apparent, sounding almost too much, but after getting used to it, gives an involving, musical/involving SQ. Not sure if it is emphasized, or more true, but it is like listening to a good home audio system, organic, analog, pulling you into the music. In this aspect, nothing else has been able to achieve this for me. Just makes you listen to music, and forget about everything else.

So sharing my observation is more to say how good the IE800S (and IE900?, which I have not heard), and how much potential it has, and to not write it off too quickly. Personally, I find myself extremely impressed with how musical my IE800S, and how it just makes music involving, emotive, so you forget about everything else, and just enjoy the music.

I apologize that my setup/synergy is kind of particular, and hard for most people to compare/evaluate.
- System: ZX507 which I have modded with Mundorf silver wires

Edit: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/post-15857659 https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/page-258
- IE800S: Modded by a local HK shop. Changed the connector to MMCX, and replace the tip so that it takes normal eartips, instead of the horrible Sennheiser custom clip that only fits Senn silicon tips.
- TIPs - cheap silicon tips, inverted. I do have Final E, Sedna Earfit Xelastic, Mandarin orange hybrids, etc., but am finding the shape of the inverted tips provide a better, and consistent seal, and they have a trumpet like wide bore shape.
- My main evaluation method is whether the system makes music enjoyable, immersive.

Other IEMs I own, but have not done comparisons with. IER-Z1R, IER-M9, IER-Z5, EX1000, and others by Final, and QDC (8sl, 4ss, 5sh, V3)

Very interesting comparison, thank you!

How loudly do you listen? The vanilla IE800 was when first released, the only IEM I listened to for a solid year, I loved it, but found it lost its magic when driven hard (became shrill), which is something the FD7/X doesn’t do (I tend to listen very loudly).

Is funny that you mention the T9ie cable, I’ve had the T8ie mkII for I believe six years now, and I’ve loved them - I was debating buying the T9ie as a stablemate, but the deal I was looking at expired, so I started looking around, and here I am - The FD7 are a very clear step up (after my initial hesitation) over the T8ie mkII - everything sounds more right… maybe I’ll live with regret for not holding out, either way I really like the FD7.

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #944 of 1,584
IE900 doesn't have the classic Sennheiser "house sound". Which was kind of a disappointment to me. By house sound I mean like HD600/HD650 type of neutral-ish but relaxed type of sound signature. This sound is also evident in their lower budget offerings like CX400BT and other headphones. I've haven't listened to their newer headphones like HD800 yet.

It has more of a generic V-shape style tuning. Which isn't bad but if it didn't have the Sennheiser branding, I would've thought it was just another chi-fi run of the mill IEM.

Again, I'm pretty sure my pair is defective because I can hear distortion in the left channel. Almost rattling like something is loose. Same thing happened with my pair of Variations. So I'll probably send mines back.

This is just my experience with the latest set purchased in Dec 2021. Again, YMMV and your experience may be vastly different than mine.

@drftr - still working on the comparison. Wanted to spend more time with the U12t before I write something up.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #945 of 1,584
Very interesting comparison, thank you!

How loudly do you listen? The vanilla IE800 was when first released, the only IEM I listened to for a solid year, I loved it, but found it lost its magic when driven hard (became shrill), which is something the FD7/X doesn’t do (I tend to listen very loudly).

Is funny that you mention the T9ie cable, I’ve had the T8ie mkII for I believe six years now, and I’ve loved them - I was debating buying the T9ie as a stablemate, but the deal I was looking at expired, so I started looking around, and here I am - The FD7 are a very clear step up (after my initial hesitation) over the T8ie mkII - everything sounds more right… maybe I’ll live with regret for not holding out, either way I really like the FD7.
I listen at moderate volumes. Around 55 - 70 (out of 120), depending on the music type and recording. Hi-Res needs more volume. This is with the ZX507 on hi gain, DSEE Ultimate on, no EQ. I can drive it pretty loud and it takes it OK. But somebody playing electronic type, with heavy bass, and loud, may push it to break up levels. For me, it gets uncomfortably loud without any distortion.
I also used the original IE800 solidly for over a year, but the cable getting hard, and the tips never able to give a solid seal, trying various workarounds to fit regular tips, even using super glue to fit an adapter tube, etc., were always irritants. And of course new IEMs beckoned, like the Noble K10u, so the IE800 sat for quite a few years, unused. Seeing the modded IE800/s in the store reminded me of my old IE800, so I dug them out, and made a trade/purchase. It was not easy, as when I tried the S at the store, it sounded flat, boomy, and I was afraid if it was just lack of burn in, or the pair was fake, or not worth the effort, as it was an old IEM that surely the modern ones would easily better. After all, it was only a 7mm driver, and the IE800s was already 6 years old, and the IE800 even older, introduced in 2012. I just couldn't quite believe that it could still hold up in today's times, against all the super (complicated, and expensive) IEMs that were available.
So I'm in a bit of shock to find that the IE800s is still relevant, and even more than holds its own, against anything else I have heard, for the musical, organic kind of sound that I like.
The T9IE cable is a recommendation from a local 2nd hand store. He felt it bettered a lot of cables, and was also not expensive, when sourced second hand. Following the recommendation was a stroke of luck, as I think it has great synergy with the IE800s. I'll eventually try other cables, like my HanSound Kimera, and Beat Prima Donna, but at the moment, I am reluctant to disturb the combination. I've gone through a lot of equipment, and I think the current combination is magic, which I was lucky to find.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back