[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Dec 13, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #871 of 1,584
Just got my FD7, already impressed by overall quality.

Which provided eartips go best with the large tubes for improving overall soundstage?
Probably silicone for soundstage. But if you're like me, foams or the (hybrid) "SYMBIO W Memory Foam & Silicone" are the only ones that stay seated, for any amount of time.

Most importantly, the ones that give you the best seal, without a great deal of discomfort.

Dec 13, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #872 of 1,584
Probably silicone for soundstage. But if you're like me, foams or the (hybrid) "SYMBIO W Memory Foam & Silicone" are the only ones that stay seated, for any amount of time.

Most importantly, the ones that give you the best seal, without a great deal of discomfort.
Any real difference between the provided black vocal tips and the spinfit ones?

Dec 14, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #873 of 1,584
Good question. Any cable will work on the FD7 but there is a reason why Fiio chose a pure silver cable to match the FD7. FD7 is a highly resolving well balanced pure beryllium dynamic earphone. Silver properties matches up perfectly with the FD7 as it brings out all the technical aspects of the FD7, stage imaging, instrument separation, timbre, tone and detail. Using copper is ok and it will really come down to preference but you end up giving up a slight bit of that transparency and technical ability of the FD7 for a slightly warmer smoother take on the FD7 sound. I can see how some folks will be ok with that trade off. If you're going to use copper. You can certainly use a nicer copper cable and the treble nozzle on the FD7 for a different take on the FD7 sound signature. So the idea there is the counter the slight smoothening of the treble region with copper cable using the treble nozzle which opens up the treble end a bit and in return you can get a more organic sounding FD7 and a fuller bass end than what it already is but then you loose that silver transparency for the FD7 in the process. Something like a hybrid cable with copper and silver mixed will work even better. Yes I did try the Penon mix on the FD7 but in the end it was the AG8 that won it out.

The AG8 is different than most silver cables on the market it is thick by design so there is no loss of note weight if anything it adds a bit yet has that highly resolving silver ability at the same time. It enhances stage better than most silver cables as well.

The FD7 deserves a much higher more resolving copper cable if you're going to use one like a higher end UPOCC copper or crystal copper cable will be better match up with the FD7. But again if you go back to the stock cable or something like the AG8 the stage, imaging and detail will change a bit. Since the FD7 has them tuning nozzles and it is an mmcx. There is some flexibility to really hone down the FD7 to a person's tonal and technical preference. A warmer take on the FD7 a more bassier version a more lusher version all that can be possible. But bringing out the best detailed FD7 with the best stage possible is what silver is all about.

Cables are a personal thing a bit of a way to lean a sound to your liking so it really will depend on some experimentation. Nothing wrong with experimenting with the FD7 to see how you like a cable match up. I tried a bunch of cables with the FD7 and I always came back to a silver variant. Again its stock cable is one of those rare instances where the manufacturer actually matched up the sound properties perfectly with the included cable. I bet it was a design choice. You don't design something like a pure beryllium flagship dynamic and have that not be a design choice. You don't think Fiio tried all their cables they produce on the FD7. I bet they did and many more to get the cable it came up with.
I think I am going to try a hybrid silver and copper from Norne audio for my FD7, I have one on my Stellia and picked up a copper for the Arya and Radiance beautiful cables.

Dec 14, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #874 of 1,584
I don't think there's 1 IEM that could handle both situations. Different presentations. 1 intimate, 1 laid back. That's why I like keeping both. :)

If I could only pick one, I might actually go with FD5 just because I prefer more intimate vocals and I like my guitar solos in my face (just like my Grados). 😁

Tbh, the experience from FD5/FD7 exceeds some of my older desktop/headphone rigs I've had in the past. All this in a portable form factor, which is amazing.
If you like guitar try Chris Jones Moonstruck or Niles Lofgren live som killer guitar.

Dec 14, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #875 of 1,584
I don't think there's 1 IEM that could handle both situations. Different presentations. 1 intimate, 1 laid back. That's why I like keeping both. :)

If I could only pick one, I might actually go with FD5 just because I prefer more intimate vocals and I like my guitar solos in my face (just like my Grados). 😁

Tbh, the experience from FD5/FD7 exceeds some of my older desktop/headphone rigs I've had in the past. All this in a portable form factor, which is amazing.
The FD7 is sublime with the DX312

Dec 15, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #876 of 1,584
So funny story. Amazon sent me a jade audio iem in an fh9 box. I used the returned funds to buy an fd7.

I’m a huge proponent to timbre, but I listen to mostly electronic oriented music so I usually go for hybrids as they to my ears offer better resolution and technicalities. Fd7 seems like a great pic for me, just hope it doesn’t sound smeared, or strained as I find typical single dd drivers tend to not have the chops for busier passages on poorly recorded music.

Specifically fd5 and dunu zen during “tools” album “fear inoculum” seemed to strain and sound distorted during some phrases. I don’t really plan to listen to rock or anything electric on the fd7. Probably reserved for acoustic instruments and B R A S S :)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #877 of 1,584
oc1710.jpg

Majestic, best iem passed from my hands?
Can't wait for the FD9 :L3000:

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #879 of 1,584
Dec 21, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #882 of 1,584
a1699797687_10.jpg

This album on FD7 is just bonkers. Just ethereal.

Amazing album, as are all of his others. Have you heard his work under the Spatialize moniker? - incredible stuff... I always use 'The Great Super Mango' from the following to test IEMs.

Dec 21, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #883 of 1,584
Amazing album, as are all of his others. Have you heard his work under the Spatialize moniker? - incredible stuff... I always use 'The Great Super Mango' from the following to test IEMs.

I haven't, I only heard of him after following you guys over at the watercooler. 😅 That's another great track too. 👍 Currently enjoying Slow Meadow as well.

Edit: I think only a DD can do this track justice.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #884 of 1,584
I haven't, I only heard of him after following you guys over at the watercooler. 😅 That's another great track too. 👍 Currently enjoying Slow Meadow as well.

Edit: I think only a DD can do this track justice.

This was one of the tracks with IE900 back in May which led to quite a 'eureka' moment for me with single DDs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back