[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Sep 18, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #136 of 1,584
How is the treble response vs the FD5 ? The FD5 for me is a bit fatiguing in this area.

Also how is the fit vs FD5 ? I think they are almost the same but maybe the nozzle size is a little smaller (hopefully). With the FD5 I have trouble with my right ear to stay fit properly.

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #139 of 1,584
Agh… the side of me that loves DD’s and Berylium its staring at this one at my AliExpress shopping cart… the part of me that its trying to save money and that thinks “well… that’s enough doesnt it? You already have stuff that makes you feel satisfied (truly)” It’s preventing me…

Let’s see how this one ages, i went for the fd5 almost 4 months after its release and i don’t regret at all its purchase, it was rather from serious thought and seeing how it aged with reviews, i think this one will be one of the most interesting releases of the year, however Zen Pro its looking super interesting as well though price its a bit of an inconvenience

I don’t know… all i know its that this pair its something to look forward for, ill hold my horses for a bit

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #140 of 1,584
My question to those who've heard the FD7: How's the mid-bass? A lot of the beryllium drivers I've heard create a noticeable amount of pressure there. I would imagine that taming that would increase bass and mid clarity, while still providing a non-fatiguing amount of bass "fun".

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #141 of 1,584
Mid bass is a very contentious topic among enthusiasts. Too much and it masks some of them precious mids, too little and a phone sounds anemic and a bit boring. A middle ground slightly leaning toward full bored is what the FD7 bass is,

Fiio is using a strong ass magnet with their beryllium dynamic. So strong the housing sticks to each other. The control of the sound here is not an issue. You better believe the FD7 has better control for bass mids and treble than any of their previous earphones. Again the balancing here is superb. Folks that were bothered by the enhanced treble tuning of the FD5 has nothing to worry about. There is no bass bleed treble bleed or anything of the sort. However Fiio does include a wider nozzle for folks that like them more treble. I tried it out last night. It is a mild treble boost I would say 2-3dbs and actually enhances stage even more so. The bass nozzle is a narrow nozzle that is similar to the one that the FD5 has.

I noticed this time around the narrow nozzle does not neuter the stage as much as what it does for the FD5. It is the warmest of the 3 as the treble is decreased a bit if I was to guess around 2dbs..

The FD7 has mid bass but it is well controlled and I don't perceive the bass to be unruly or causes any shadowing of the mid bands. It has about 8dbs of mid bass which is not too much and not too little. Goldilocks of bass emphasis. But since its using a highly resolving beryllium it seems like it has a bit more than it does. That's not a bad thing actually.

I would say the FD7 has more mid and sub bass vs something like the Luna but this is not necessarily a bad thing. I feel it is a bit more versatile due to the bass emphasis.

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #146 of 1,584
Sure. FD3 balanced nozzle tuning with the pro cable is similar in balancing to the FD7. FD3 puts up a good fight thats for certain. But there is an immediate uptick in stage presentation. FD7 has a grander stage even over the FD5. Everything on the FD7 is more textured and more defined. Better sound separation, stage, detail, imaging, depth, timbre. Layering of the mid bands is better separated.

I am going back n forth from my DX300max and going back to the FD3. You can tell these are tuned and designed by Fiio that is obvious but there are some similarities for the sound. The little brother of the FD7 is more closer to FD7 than it is to the FD5 especially using the pro cable and balanced nozzle. They sound like FD3 on steroids. Lol. That's the best way to describe them.

I noticed a tighter bass presentation on the FD7. FD3 bass might have a bit more in the way of emphasis but it don't sound as tight as it does on the FD7. FD7 is a much more refined and a more technical experience but with the FD3 balanced tuning if that makes sense. You can clearly tell the drivers are playing at a different level here.

Treble emphasis is similar but is most definitely got better range, definition with better micro detailing from the the FD7.

For folks that like them some FD3. FD7 will be a natural upgrade in every perceivable way. It is by far the most refined Fiio sound I have heard thus far.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #147 of 1,584
Zen pro should be a great FD7 competitor..

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #149 of 1,584
PXL_20210919_203214143.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

So...I guess DHL delivers on Sunday but not Saturdays? 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Either way I'm ecstatic. :ksc75smile:

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #150 of 1,584
Congrats!🎉
Looking forward to your impressions, give them a good Burnin ☺️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back