[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Sep 19, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #152 of 1,584
Out of the box the FD7 will not impress I can guarantee if you take that sound seriously out of the box your going to be disappointed. I would start burning them in right away. Take a listen tomorrow. You will get a good idea what they are about. For folks that don't believe in burn in. Listen to how they sound out of the box. Go ahead and burn it in overnight. Then take a good listen. I am willing to bet you will notice just how expansive the stage is. Not so much out of the box but more so tomorrow after a good 24 hours of burn in.

I have had mine for almost 100 hours of burn in and I feel they need to be burned in a bit more. But every time I hear them they get better and better. They sound nothing like what I heard them out of the box.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #153 of 1,584
Out of the box the FD7 will not impress I can guarantee if you take that sound seriously out of the box your going to be disappointed. I would start burning them in right away. Take a listen tomorrow. You will get a good idea what they are about. For folks that don't believe in burn in. Listen to how they sound out of the box. Go ahead and burn it in overnight. Then take a good listen. I am willing to bet you will notice just how expansive the stage is. Not so much out of the box but more so tomorrow after a good 24 hours of burn in.

I have had mine for almost 100 hours of burn in and I feel they need to be burned in a bit more. But every time I hear them they get better and better. They sound nothing like what I heard them out of the box.
I'll take that to the extreme noting that when I was selling pure silver interlinks and speaker cables we wouldn't even let customers try them without a 1 week burn in.

drftr

Sep 19, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #154 of 1,584
Cable burn in is very touchy subject but I did a head to head comparison of a new ISN AG8 pure silver IEM cable out of the box vs a well used and broken in ISN AG8 cable that had easily over 200 hours of use using two of the same ISN D10 earphones.
1632092192364.png

I used a splitter from my Fiio M15 to do the test to see if I can hear the differences but yes the fully broken in ISN AG8 cable provided a wider and deeper stage vs the out of the box ISN AG8. It was subtle but most definitely noticeable.

The FD7 is using a pure silver cable and pure Beryllium. You better believe the FD7 needs good burn in.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #155 of 1,584
... For folks that don't believe in burn in,
you’ll never convince them otherwise. It’s like religion and politics, there comes a point where you just have to agree to disagree.

What gets me is there are a few reviewers with heavy clout in their own realms (YouTube & forums, including Head-fi.org) that claim to not do any burn in. Yet give positive reviews on single DD that aren’t possible, without doing some amount of break in. e.g. JVC HA-FD01, FiiO FD3 & FD5. Where from personal experience, I know all three were a bit of a mess, out of the box.

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #156 of 1,584
So damn right .. i have Two highend loudspeakers prototype of the same model at home for a pre commercial assesment .. one is burned the. Other not .. with two set of the same câble to A/B STRAIGHT .. sorry but if you can’t tell the différence : stop buying in audio

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #157 of 1,584
Ok. Update time. FD7 today sounds absolutely sublime. I can't get over the stage of these things. It has to have one of the widest stages I have heard on any earphone. Sound is somehow more tighter yet richer and more organic at the same time. Sounds even more spacious than I remember listening to it last time. Sweeping orchestral scores will send chills down your spine. Its grand sound just has to be experienced to understand. I am listening to the FD7 out of my DX300Max which also happens to have one of the widest stages for DAPs. When you combine how wide the FD7 is. Ya you are now dealing with an absolute massive sound stage.
DSC08966.JPG
The clarity, the authority, the imaging, the sheer amount of micro details in space, it is full on dimensional all engrossing sound that just digs into your soul. No other way to describe it.

I am gonna tell you guys and for folks reading this thread. Fiio isn't messing around with these. For what Fiio is asking for a set. These are relative bargains at what they are charging for a set. Ya you read this right. A bargain and let me tell you why. These are easily playing ball with my Luna, It might actually beat it out on a few fronts. It is a more engaging and complete sound I was not expecting. Its stage alone is worthy of consideration but there is absolutely no mistaking that pure beryllium tone and air it produces. These might be the best pure dynamic earphones I have ever heard.

BUT! This is if you actually commit to burning them in. That is the only catch. The difference from open listen to what I am hearing now is several tiers of sound above it. Now I am understanding what Fiio has done with these. These sound absolutely superb.

Sell off your older stuff. Get a set, burn them in real good and be mind blown!
DSC08967.JPG

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #158 of 1,584
Ok. Update time. FD7 today sounds absolutely sublime. I can't get over the stage of these things. It has to have one of the widest stages I have heard on any earphone. Sound is somehow more tighter yet richer and more organic at the same time. Sounds even more spacious than I remember listening to it last time. Sweeping orchestral scores will send chills down your spine. Its grand sound just has to be experienced to understand. I am listening to the FD7 out of my DX300Max which also happens to have one of the widest stages for DAPs. When you combine how wide the FD7 is. Ya you are now dealing with an absolute massive sound stage.
DSC08966.JPG
The clarity, the authority, the imaging, the sheer amount of micro details in space, it is full on dimensional all engrossing sound that just digs into your soul. No other way to describe it.

I am gonna tell you guys and for folks reading this thread. Fiio isn't messing around with these. For what Fiio is asking for a set. These are relative bargains at what they are charging for a set. Ya you read this right. A bargain and let me tell you why. These are easily playing ball with my Luna, It might actually beat it out on a few fronts. It is a more engaging and complete sound I was not expecting. Its stage alone is worthy of consideration but there is absolutely no mistaking that pure beryllium tone and air it produces. These might be the best pure dynamic earphones I have ever heard.

BUT! This is if you actually commit to burning them in. That is the only catch. The difference from open listen to what I am hearing now is several tiers of sound above it. Now I am understanding what Fiio has done with these. These sound absolutely superb.

Sell off your older stuff. Get a set, burn them in real good and be mind blown!
DSC08967.JPG
Im not sure, but do you also have the Dunu Zen ? A comparison with this one especially the sub- and mid-bass i would be interested in.
Also, which nozzles do you actually use ?

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #160 of 1,584
Cant speak for the newer Zen pros as I haven't heard them yet but I was just messaging a friend about how the FD7 sound. It isn't competing with the Zens It is competing with the Lunas. I had to whip out the Lunas to compare. I still feel the FD7 might need just a few more days to really be maxed out but it has the type of sound that keeps on growing on a person the more you listen to them the more your hearing how brilliant they are.

The Zens had a bit much pinna gain which gives presence to the mids but I know some folks didnt like that tuning. The big issue with them was their upper trebles which was rolled off to the point where it dropped off so not really a complete sound. Their new Zen pros seem to have fixed those issues and from graphs looks like a much improved Zen but looks more closer to a neutral tuning this time around.

If your asking about bass performances both earphones have a very similar bass emphasis and while the FD7 has better texture the Zens might have the edge in speed. I feel both are tight bass for being emphasized. If you like the bass quantity and quality for the Zen the FD7 is very similar in emphasis and presentation of bass. Pure beryllium bass is awesomely detailed. Where I feel the FD7 is better is it has less upper mids and a much greater extended treble which reaches to 40Khz.

I have been using the stock balanced nozzle. All three nozzles sound great by the way. This time Fiio went with nozzle sizes for a small degree of treble emphasis instead of using dampeners in the nozzle. All 3 nozzles have the same open mesh the only difference is they have different diameters.

I will get back to the bass comparison with the Zen as I want to try out the bass nozzle tomorrow. Gotta sleep.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #161 of 1,584
Just received my FDX today! #178 checking in!

Nice wooden box, you don’t see this with IEMs in this price range. The last IEMs I got with wooden boxes: Spear Labs Triton 1 & Tralucent Audio Ref Gen3

The faceplate is kind of matte gold and everywhere else is shiny gold.

For those of you wondering what happened to the vents with the imitation diamonds blocking the ports. Looks like it’s beneath the MMCX

Got serial number on one side, the other side shows “Fiio FDX”

First sound impressions: I do think these need some time to settle given the beryllium drivers but on my first listen (~10 min), I notice the dynamics and resolution are pretty good already, soundstage as well. I’m not sure if I want to call it slight V yet, sounded pretty balanced to me with the default filter and Spinfits. The bass is also pretty tight and I don’t think the impact is there yet, probably need to tip-roll.

That’s it for now!

One week in and approximately 100 hour burn-in on my FDX: the soundstage opened up quite a bit more especially the width. I am getting better sound layering and separation. Paired with AZLA Crystal tips, the seal is excellent and the bass performance benefits from that the most.

I still find the sound signature pretty balanced but perhaps the treble is a bit relaxed after listening more to it. I’m happy with the amount of details this set can retrieve so not really upset about the relaxed treble part. I listen to the FDX every other day during this first week of burn in and haven’t felt any treble harshness whatsoever, so that’s a good thing for treble-sensitive people.

Sep 21, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #162 of 1,584
One week in and approximately 100 hour burn-in on my FDX: the soundstage opened up quite a bit more especially the width. I am getting better sound layering and separation. Paired with AZLA Crystal tips, the seal is excellent and the bass performance benefits from that the most.

I still find the sound signature pretty balanced but perhaps the treble is a bit relaxed after listening more to it. I’m happy with the amount of details this set can retrieve so not really upset about the relaxed treble part. I listen to the FDX every other day during this first week of burn in and haven’t felt any treble harshness whatsoever, so that’s a good thing for treble-sensitive people.
Did you compare FDX with Dmagic and Isa?

Sep 21, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #163 of 1,584

Have you tried the largest nozzle or the treble nozzle? I think the potential of the FDX or FD7. I noticed the largest nozzle gives an extra emphasis for treble opens up the upper registers a touch. This with a good aftermarket cable and it might be the perfect medium between the balanced tuning and the treble tuning.

I still prefer using a copper cable on the FD5 for example. I think a mixed cable of sorts a half copper and half silver could be the perfect medium with the treble nozzle on the FD7 while giving out the best dynamics. Gonna have to try this.

Sep 21, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #164 of 1,584
Did you compare FDX with Dmagic and Isa?

Not yet, I think the DMagic and FDX will make an interesting comparison. Isabellae is on the warmer side of things and I think the FDX aims at being more neutral than Isa.

I’ll find time to do some more comparisons!

Sep 21, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #165 of 1,584
Have you tried the largest nozzle or the treble nozzle? I think the potential of the FDX or FD7. I noticed the largest nozzle gives an extra emphasis for treble opens up the upper registers a touch. This with a good aftermarket cable and it might be the perfect medium between the balanced tuning and the treble tuning.

I still prefer using a copper cable on the FD5 for example. I think a mixed cable of sorts a half copper and half silver could be the perfect medium with the treble nozzle on the FD7 while giving out the best dynamics. Gonna have to try this.

Did you got any sleep 😋
Still some questions as long as you're here though 😜. What diameter is the balanced nozzle ? And how is the sound lekkage/ isolation in case of commuting ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back