FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #1,111 of 1,891
Does Fh5s reach the level of Fd5 with the copper cable? In terms of bass, mids and sound stage width and depth.
FD5 has a bit more wider stage but I think that is due to the mids not having the presence like the FH5s does. FH5s has a bit more in the way of sub bass but the FD5 has a touch more mid bass. Depth wise both are somewhat comparable not really one having more depth to the sonics over the other.

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #1,112 of 1,891
A month ago I bought a Dunu EST 112. Wonderful IEM. My first Sonion EST IEM (had other pseudo EST like the Shuoer Tape, ****** MT300, but those are of no consequence in comparison). Bass in the 112 is ultra tight and detailed, though still quite impactful (strangely addictive formula). Mids are perfectly tuned, though not as resolving as the LA A7 (monitor/black) or event the Mangird Tea's but more natural than both of those. The treble on the 112 is surreal, ethereal, and lends a perfect sense of space and stage that I can only describe as "real". Going from the FD5 to the 112 was a transformative experience, to the point where my brain demanded that I changed my LA A7 setup from pop/gold to monitor/black, just to get near that new reference of "reality".

So... why am I posting in the Fiio FD5 thread again? Because I still come back to the FD5, and it puts a big smile on my face! This is coming from someone who listens mostly to modern jazz, orchestral music and 70s prog rock. The well extended bass, with just the right amount of mid-bass to transport you to a large concert hall, that tactility and the coherency of the FD5 are not things I get from any other IEM - it was immediately better than my Senheiser IE800s in all of these aspects. I never feel that it is missing anything when using it, even though I am fully aware that other IEMs have better technicalities and features. For me, the FD5 feels like that safe haven that I go back to for pure enjoyment, perhaps after a critical listening session with the 112. Fully textured mids (with spifit tips) in a v shaped signature.... The FD5's treble is not ethereal at all, but it has a grit to it that makes horns, sax, trumpets and distorted guitars pull my soul strings. And that is why I am in this cursed hobby.

Jun 29, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #1,114 of 1,891
A month ago I bought a Dunu EST 112. Wonderful IEM. My first Sonion EST IEM (had other pseudo EST like the Shuoer Tape, ****** MT300, but those are of no consequence in comparison). Bass in the 112 is ultra tight and detailed, though still quite impactful (strangely addictive formula). Mids are perfectly tuned, though not as resolving as the LA A7 (monitor/black) or event the Mangird Tea's but more natural than both of those. The treble on the 112 is surreal, ethereal, and lends a perfect sense of space and stage that I can only describe as "real". Going from the FD5 to the 112 was a transformative experience, to the point where my brain demanded that I changed my LA A7 setup from pop/gold to monitor/black, just to get near that new reference of "reality".

So... why am I posting in the Fiio FD5 thread again? Because I still come back to the FD5, and it puts a big smile on my face! This is coming from someone who listens mostly to modern jazz, orchestral music and 70s prog rock. The well extended bass, with just the right amount of mid-bass to transport you to a large concert hall, that tactility and the coherency of the FD5 are not things I get from any other IEM - it was immediately better than my Senheiser IE800s in all of these aspects. I never feel that it is missing anything when using it, even though I am fully aware that other IEMs have better technicalities and features. For me, the FD5 feels like that safe haven that I go back to for pure enjoyment, perhaps after a critical listening session with the 112. Fully textured mids (with spifit tips) in a v shaped signature.... The FD5's treble is not ethereal at all, but it has a grit to it that makes horns, sax, trumpets and distorted guitars pull my soul strings. And that is why I am in this cursed hobby.
"For me, the FD5 feels like that safe haven that I go back to for pure enjoyment..." (Big smile :)

Jun 29, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #1,115 of 1,891
Congratulations to FiiO for winning the gold medal in the HIVI BEST BUY 2021 SUMMER awards (earphone category)!!!

Jun 29, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #1,117 of 1,891
Compared to Sony z1?
FiiO FD5 the small IER-Z1R?

I have owned the FD5s for about four months ... from before the IER-Z1R arrived and before I made the decision to buy them. At the time I bought them, you want a little for the aesthetics ... you want a little for the reviews that praised the bass performance above all ... you want for the richness of the equipment they proved to have ... I started in my brain to convince me that they were mini IER-Z1R. When I got the FD5s I saw that indeed the equipment was simply astounding for their cost, fantastic engineering and truly above average bass performance. But there was something wrong ... the first thing is that I could not understand which were the most suitable tips for them and above all the cable they had as standard, although it was very comfortable due to the interchangeability of the connectors, it had something that was not convinced me (in the sound). So I started looking for solutions through discussions on various forums and I realized that the cable being in silver-plated copper favored an excessive brilliance of the highs, almost creating a hole between the (splendid) basses and the brilliant highs, perhaps even too much. After a month the IER-Z1R arrived and obviously my interest shifted to the newcomers who had made me amazed at the first listen. The comparison (which I had in my mind) was simply out of the question. Meanwhile, researching on the IER I didn't realize I was doing it in a certain way also on the FD5, I changed the tips of the IER with a couple of Final E that I had not used since the days of the Hifiman RE600 (on those to pump the bass a little) and so I also did for the FD5. I changed the cable of the IER because the original one did not drive me crazy and above all I found it a bit stiff and, it will be strange, but it smelled bad with a Fiio LC-RE also with interchangeable jacks also because I read that the original could in very rare cases lose a pin cap in the mmcx socket and I didn't want this to happen. Besides all the Fiio LC-RE had the characteristic of being trimetallic (copper-silver-gold copper) to have the maximum balance and give a boost to all frequencies without favoring any. For the FD5, on the other hand, I chose an all-copper cable, the linsoul lsc08, which I had heard well about compared to the 40 euro cost of course. After a good bit of running in the IER have become even more open and elastic (but not by much) that is their sound and from there fortunately they do not move, while those that have changed a lot are the FD5s becoming much more controlled. and full in the bass, they brought out some splendid mids and finally made the highs much less brilliant but still very enjoyable. Surely the IERs are much darker than the FD5s, they certainly have some other level bass, and legendary highs but what I hear in the FD5 is not a sound absolutely to blame with deep bass and at the same time fast and precise, spectacular mids and the highs that, even if very present, integrate a noteworthy sound.
What do the FD5s beat the IERs? The speed
How are they on the same level? The Soundstage
How are they inferior? Everything else (but obviously not in relation to the price difference 270 vs 1700) and I would like to see ...
Now after some time I can say that I agree with the title I gave to the subject ... yes the Fiio FD5 for me are mini IER-Z1R not only for the aesthetics that remind them, but for the contents that they manage to express.
The real difference? The tone, the details, the general sound performance, THE PRICE.
Oh I forgot another thing that unites them is that the price, for how they sound, could be much higher.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #1,119 of 1,891
graph - 2021-06-30T215802.313.png

wow, mids to treble is so damn similar

FD5 = 320 usd
Turii = 1400 usd

Jun 30, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #1,120 of 1,891

wow, mids to treble is so damn similar

FD5 = 320 usd
Turii = 1400 usd

As you know there is more to sound than just frequency response. :wink:

Turii is next level price but it's also next level sound. :)

Jun 30, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #1,121 of 1,891
As you know there is more to sound than just frequency response. :wink:

Turii is next level price but it's also next level sound. :)
Yeah I know lol. But I cant confirm that myself so.....

1625085276184.png

The Turii also doesnt look like its made for human ears. :joy:

Jun 30, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #1,122 of 1,891

1625085276184.png
That's why i, if, am hunting for the IE900 as a definitive upgrade to the FD5. :)

Jun 30, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #1,123 of 1,891

I have no fit issues with it and I don't think anybody reported any but not too many people have it.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #1,124 of 1,891
That's why i, if, am hunting for the IE900 as a definitive upgrade to the FD5. :)
I don't know if I would call it a definitive upgrade. I recently demoed the ie900 and ie300 at the Sennheiser flagship store in San Francisco on vacation and found myself sorely missing the sound profile and soundstage of the FD5.

Jul 8, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #1,125 of 1,891
I don't know if I would call it a definitive upgrade. I recently demoed the ie900 and ie300 at the Sennheiser flagship store in San Francisco on vacation and found myself sorely missing the sound profile and soundstage of the FD5.
Thanks.
We(i)ll hear how it'll work for me.

@1300€ it's a "you've to audition them first" thing.

In fact by now, the sound of the FD5 prevents me from rushing into too fast. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back