FiiO FD1 - 10mm 1DD IEM
Jul 11, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #166 of 381
I spent another day with the FD1. Switching back and forth between smartphone and DAPs. Tidal and Bandcamp on the smartphone, CD-Rips and Lossless digital files on non-android DAPs. I also compared it to the BL-03 (same eartips, Final E-Tips size L, Bqeyz copper cable).

The FD1 is very confortable and the sound did not change much within 15 hours. I still like it as it is, and I confirmed previous impressions regarding tips and fit. This IEM is a chameleon, not always in a good way. JVC Spiral Dots open the sound too much, taming the bass and charging the treble with too much energy. It gets quite sibilant sometimes. Stock tips are better, balancing the whole signature, but fit is not as good as Final E-tips. Bass is the best with Final tips. This is just my opinion based on my sound signature preferences and ear anatomy, which is pretty standard I think.

Let's join the BL-03 the party. These are not complete opposite, but the BL-03 hits harder and deeper, has fuller midrange and softer treble. It is not a scoop for most people, I suppose. Is the FD1 better than the BL-03? It can be if your musical tastes and sound preferences match the FD1 strengths, which are a potent bass without the impact of BL-03, clear mediums and airy treble with none or very little sibilance (depends on the recording, seal and tips).

I am a bit torn apart between the 2, as the sound signature I am into also depends on my mood and fatigue level. Let's say that they complement each other for someone who is open to different sound signature. BL-03 is very pleasing in its warmish tonality, but FD1 is easier to drive and airier from end to end.

The Kbear KS2 should arrive anytime now, I will post a comparison on due time.

Thanks for your impressions. The KBEAR KS2 is a beginner set, more suited for new converts to the CHIFI hobby, I think you definitely will have higher end gear that sounds more refined. For $20ish USD it would be an okay daily beater set, but the competition is so stiff at that pricing, I have a feeling it will be forgotten in a few weeks time.

How is the timbre of the FD1 for acoustic instruments like strings, woodwinds, brasses? Say compared to the BLON BL-03? TIA!

Jul 11, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #167 of 381
How is the timbre of the FD1 for acoustic instruments like strings, woodwinds, brasses? Say compared to the BLON BL-03? TIA!
I think the DD in the FD1 has a very natural sounding timbre, on the same level as the BLONs. In comparison, the T2 Plus, though it still has a nice timbre, is slightly more metallic sounding. There is an amazing clarity and naturalness to the sound of the FD1, IMO. I think those are some of it’s greatest strengths.

Jul 11, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #168 of 381
I'm trying to rationalize your comparison (on the bass) to the Blon BL-03. By bass, are you more targeting the mid bass. In which case I would agree, the FD1 has a cleaner mid bass, next to no bleeding; which is why I would see them as the next step up from the Blon BL-03. In regards to the basshead territory (under 80hz): I have two BL-03 sets and the FD1 is clearly more authoritative in the lower registers . If you agree with where the "Rumble" and "Chest Thump" are on the chart (in the sub bass range), are your FD1s failing to land there ?

I find the JVC HA-FD01 to be warmer overall (due to my customizing the sound dampening fill). A good analogy for the two IEMs would be the comparison of a Delta-Sigma setup (The FD1) vs. a Tube setup (HA-FD01). During the honeymoon phase, I was using the JVC HA-FD01 as my daily. But have to come to the conclusion that they're my turn the lights down low, take the phone off of the hook, pour myself a brown liquid and settle in for some slow Jazz.
I was referring more to the sub bass. The FD1 can have a mean, percussive kick/chest thump, with potent mid bass, but the sub bass seems to roll off some. I find the sub bass to be quite a lot more in quantity on my BL03. I don’t find that the mid bass on the FD1 is intrusive into the mids either. My FD1, so far, still don’t have that much of a deep rumble, and it sounds a bit dry. Very fast and clear though. Technically, it is definitely superior to the BL03, but tuning wise, I don’t find them very comparable (they are different, not superior or inferior).

Interesting, I actually find my FDX1 to be quite cool and analytical sounding. Very enjoyable, but not my “relaxing” IEMs. It probably has a lot to do with how we tuned our IEMs though.

Edit: I find that the FD1 responds well to EQ.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #169 of 381
Very interesting stuff, Jade Audio (Fiio's subbrand) is launching a beryllium DD at $29.99.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jad...-be-avaliable-on-amazon-just-29-99usd.937396/

It looks similar in shell to the Jade Audio EA3 and the Fiio FD1. I wonder how different it is in tuning from the Fiio FD1 here. And $29.99 is the cheapest I've seen a so called beryllium DD set go for, though whether it is a marketing gimick is another story (previous cheapest was the Moondrop SSR if I'm not mistaken, which is now off shelves due to a "QC issue with cable").

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #170 of 381
Very interesting stuff, Jade Audio (Fiio's subbrand) is launching a beryllium DD at $29.99.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jad...-be-avaliable-on-amazon-just-29-99usd.937396/

It looks similar in shell to the Jade Audio EA3 and the Fiio FD1. I wonder how different it is in tuning from the Fiio FD1 here. And $29.99 is the cheapest I've seen a so called beryllium DD set go for, though whether it is a marketing gimick is another story (previous cheapest was the Moondrop SSR if I'm not mistaken, which is now off shelves due to a "QC issue with cable").
I guess Fiio is either making an overly aggressive move to introduce a targeted group to their wares or they’re diluting their own brand‘s standing, by cutting their legs out from under themselves.

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #171 of 381
I guess Fiio is either making an overly aggressive move to introduce a targeted group to their wares or they’re diluting their own brand‘s standing, by cutting their legs out from under themselves.

Agreed. I find it quite weird to suddenly push a cheaper version of a similar transducer competitor (from the same brand to boot) when sales of the Fiio FD1 are just starting to pick up.
This ain't the first time Fiio is pulling this stunt though, they did it with the Jade Audio EA3 vs Fiio FH1S previously. IIRC the price difference between the 2 was about $10 or so, but the FH1S seemed better accessorized and had slightly different tuning.

So far no graphs or specs, but considering both the new EA1 and Fiio FD1 use beryllium tech and look similar in the shells, I wonder if the tuning justifies a more than 2 times difference in price between the EA1 and Fiio FD1, unlike the $10 difference previously in EA3 vs FH1S. Anybody keen to take one for the team and try this hahaha?

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #172 of 381
Agreed. I find it quite weird to suddenly push a cheaper version of a similar transducer competitor (from the same brand to boot) when sales of the Fiio FD1 are just starting to pick up.
This ain't the first time Fiio is pulling this stunt though, they did it with the Jade Audio EA3 vs Fiio FH1S previously. IIRC the price difference between the 2 was about $10 or so, but the FH1S seemed better accessorized and had slightly different tuning.

So far no graphs or specs, but considering both the new EA1 and Fiio FD1 use beryllium tech and look similar in the shells, I wonder if the tuning justifies a more than 2 times difference in price between the EA1 and Fiio FD1, unlike the $10 difference previously in EA3 vs FH1S. Anybody keen to take one for the team and try this hahaha?
I don’t feel good about it, but I’ll pickup the EA1.

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #173 of 381
I wonder if the EA1 is going to have a different tuning because a lot of people wanted that "beryllium bass" from the FD1. Maybe this one is the "urbanfun killer"? :joy:

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #174 of 381
Is the EA1 a almost same sounding FD1 without:
- nice stock cable
- carrying case
- stock tips selection

I ask the question, but I doubt that graphs will look very different from each other.

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #176 of 381
About the JadeAudio, the reason we released some similar model of FiiO's products, is because there are some market that we can reach, and there are quite some brand are sold directly by the brand. that is quite difficult for FiiO to compete with such brands.

Also, the IEM market is a over-competed market so some of our agents are not interested in these market and also the margin is too low to them. and now Amazon has expanded their online shop to some countries so it make thing easy to sell by ourself.

That is why we will have a sister brand called JadeAudio, at the same time, we will like to see how the different market channels and brands affect the sales, it may decide the way we running our future.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 15, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #177 of 381
About the JadeAudio, the reason we released some similar model of FiiO's products, is because there are some market that we can reach, and there are quite some brand are sold directly by the brand. that is quite difficult for FiiO to compete with such brands.

Also, the IEM market is a over-competed market so some of our agents are not interested in these market and also the margin is too low to them. and now Amazon has expanded their online shop to some countries so it make thing easy to sell by ourself.

That is why we will have a sister brand called JadeAudio, at the same time, we will like to see how the different market channels and brands affect the sales, it may decide the way we running our future.

Do u have any graphs or specs of the Jade Audio EA1? Does it use the same driver as the Fiio FD1?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 15, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #179 of 381
So, is it a slightly pared down FD1, sold w/o the middleman?

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #180 of 381
Yet another new toy!

VERY initial impressions with both types of stock tips are that the sound is really smooth, completely inoffensive, no sibilance that I can extract, no harsh upper mids or shoutiness, not the most extended highs as of right now, but not bright either, great clarity, good detail, very good transient response, detailed bass, about the same amount of bass quantity as the FDX1 or Tin T4, maybe slightly rolled off sub bass. Timbre is excellent. They look beautiful, and come with a great cable, hard case, and tip selection. No NEED to purchase any additional accessories. In fact the packaging and included accessories rival several $500 to $1,000 IEMs. Overall, I think the tuning could easily be considered more “mainstream” than the UF YBF, just not in the ultra budget category. Well balanced and clear tuning vs. bass head and v-shaped tuning. Two very different flavors. This doesn’t seem like it belongs in the sub $100 class at all. Now for a LOT more time to break them in. If initial sales suffer, it‘s because of pre-existing expectations.

OK, Now it is time to hit the Buy Button... Thanks to All but this sealed the deal for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back