FiiO FD1 - 10mm 1DD IEM
Jul 4, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #136 of 381
I'm not saying the FD1 or Urbanfuns are not having the beryllium driver coating implemented improperly, but personally, I'm not bothered what material the drivers are made or coated with, as long as they implement the coating properly and tune it well.
The sound speaks for itself
Some other members also use different sized ear tips for their R and L ears. Maybe you can find some helpful information here. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thieaudio-legacy-3.930478/

Glad you like both IEMs a lot! I’m hoping I really like the FD1.
Thanks for the tip! As I said earlier, my expectations for L3 with the exception of the fit were high and were met, while for FD1 low expectations caused shock. I still cannot believe I'm hearing treble this clean & resolving from single DD. I no longer own Xelento but from memory, I could swear FD1 treble blows it out of the water. To be fair Xelento bass is second to few and tonal balance of treble is more natural for compressed source. Xelento is an expensive warm & fun crowd-pleaser, FD1 - wannabe TOTL. FD1, at least for now, is very unique and I think you shouldn't regret the purchase. It restored my faith in single DD! The journey is just beginning... :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #137 of 381
FiiO did absolutely NOTHING to mislead us. It’s just that the UrbanFun with a beryllium DD has been so popular for its sound, particularly it’s bass, but has been plagued by major QC problems, that people have been clamoring for an alternative. When FiiO, who has a great reputation as a company, announced a single beryllium coated DD, many of us were hoping it would be that alternative that we desperately wanted. Some of the famous characteristics of the bass from a lot of beryllium DDs is the extremely well textured, articulate, powerful, and punchy sound it produces. The FD1 probably has exactly that, but many were hoping it would have a similar quantity to the UrbanFun PISS. The great treble of the UF is also touted, and in that, the FD1 seems to have succeeded wonderfully.

That clears things up. Thanks

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #138 of 381
Ok, i think i found out why some find the fd1 sibilant and lack of bass(inc me, that is untill now). I think those having issues are inserting the fd1 at the wrong angle. The nozzle is supposed to be horizontal. i did this and now is no more sibilant, no more thin sound treble and now the bass really kicks. Bass now near to the same level as my xba-n3.

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_121416__01.jpg
    IMG_20200705_121416__01.jpg
    718.2 KB · Views: 0
Jul 5, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #139 of 381
In what way did you think FiiO “misled” you about the FD1? Help me to understand.

There wasn’t much information to go on before the FD1 was available for sale, and what info there was released by FiiO was basically marketing word salad. In that case, it’s impossible to know what to expect. But what I will say is that a “Be BL-03 with better fit and sound quality“ makes a lot more sense from a sales potential perspective than “yet another audiophile tuned single-DD IEM except this one is Be”.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #140 of 381
Ok, i think i found out why some find the fd1 sibilant and lack of bass(inc me, that is untill now). I think those having issues are inserting the fd1 at the wrong angle. The nozzle is supposed to be horizontal. i did this and now is no more sibilant, no more thin sound treble and now the bass really kicks. Bass now near to the same level as my xba-n3.
Is it confortable ?

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #142 of 381
I have both FH1s and FD1. The FD1 arrived today and so I'm listening to it :)

Here are my very first impressions of this IEM:
  • Volume: at the same volume set on the source (LG V40 with Aux mode), the FD1 is louder than FH1s (around 3 levels).
  • Low: Impact and details are almost the same but shorter/faster decay (I don't know if this is the correct term) compared to FH1s.
  • Mid and high: harsher than FH1s. Its mid and high are much more "hostile" than what I'm used to in the last few months (ZS10p, ZSX, BL03) and week (Starfield). In some old recordings, it's very shouty. Foam tips do reduce its hostility and shoutiness a little bit.
  • Soundstage: Wider than FH1s (a little bit). It made me to visualize a helicopter flying atop my head while listening to The Happiest Days of Our Lives. I can even feel the objects bouncing in Bubbles in the album Wandering. I don't know if its shoutiness is a result of its soundstage tuning? Is FD1 intended for gamers? :D
  • Build quality and accessories: The blue ones look really nice. Cable, tips and the storage box are exceptional in the sub $110 category just like the FH1s.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #143 of 381
3137620.png

Dear respected customers,

Thank you for your kind patience and constant attention for our FD1. Delivery of the FD1 has started from 28th, June. Please kindly check this post for a daily updated list of countries / regions and agents we have sent goods to.

June 28th:

Hungary:KriptonIT Kft

Netherlands: HDPHNS

Ukraine: TOV “MIKROTECH”

Poland: MIP

Czech: GOTHIC

Belarus:Magnit Invest

Switzerland: Portacomp AG

Croatia: HD-INFO d.o.o./hd-multimedia

Germany: NT Global Distribution GmbH

Vietnam:Audio Choice

Australia: Addicted To Audio

HongKong: Carve Link Company

Spain: Zococity

Russia: Blade

Thailand: Holysai

Italy: Audio Azimuth

Malaysia: RED APE

Canada: Canada distributor

(* The shipping to other regions will also follow soon, and we will keep updating this post)

In order to get prompt pre-sales and after-sales service, we strongly suggest you to buy FiiO products from our authorized sales agents (Where to buy).

By our estimate, it would take 5 to 7 working days for the parcels to reach our agents abroad, which means all of you can try contacting the local sales agents on about 5th July.

If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us or directly contact our local agents.

Happy listening!

Best regards,
FiiO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 9, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #145 of 381
My video about FD1

In short:
- really interesting tuning, but not a "mass market" one, so it's not "one-size-fit-all" IEMs
- very fit and source dependant
- tips rolling does make a difference

Great review, and spot on with your sound impressions. I'm reviewing these myself at the moment (got them a few days ago and just finished 24hr burn-in), and like you I was surprised by the tuning. Very non-commercial, for want of a better term. Not your typical cheap Chi-Fi v-shape sound. More refined, resolving, balanced. Remarkable value if you consider the price. If I didn't know the price, I'd guess it cost 3-4x what it does. More to follow soon...

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #146 of 381
Yet another new toy!

VERY initial impressions with both types of stock tips are that the sound is really smooth, completely inoffensive, no sibilance that I can extract, no harsh upper mids or shoutiness, not the most extended highs as of right now, but not bright either, great clarity, good detail, very good transient response, detailed bass, about the same amount of bass quantity as the FDX1 or Tin T4, maybe slightly rolled off sub bass. Timbre is excellent. They look beautiful, and come with a great cable, hard case, and tip selection. No NEED to purchase any additional accessories. In fact the packaging and included accessories rival several $500 to $1,000 IEMs. Overall, I think the tuning could easily be considered more “mainstream” than the UF YBF, just not in the ultra budget category. Well balanced and clear tuning vs. bass head and v-shaped tuning. Two very different flavors. This doesn’t seem like it belongs in the sub $100 class at all. Now for a LOT more time to break them in. If initial sales suffer, it‘s because of pre-existing expectations.

D472E00A-CE80-4E80-BA1A-668A22A631EF.jpeg

0F0FD4C7-E396-4638-BEDF-A121F0E5BCDB.jpeg

6DC43B3D-26E2-4745-9E9A-C34ECA251D82.jpeg

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #147 of 381
u misunderstand. from reviews, it is obvious that fiio iems r good, maybe great, but never fantastic or mindblowing. u have to read between the lines :)

think: sony mh755, er4xr/sr, jvc fdx1, moondrop s8, sony ier m7/m9, etc. as top tier performers in their price point, it is obvious fiio isn't quite at this level yet, but hopefully they get there
FIIO FH7 is freakin FANTASTIC. Better than whole FInal B serie, DITA Fealty and Fidelity, Hifiman RE2000, Campfire Polaris....and even my oh so loved Audiosense T800 (less well balanced, more boomy bass and harsh treble but more open holographic soundstage)

FD1 is well tuned but I feel treble is the weakest part. I find it way more musical than JAde Audio EA3 but less crisp. BASS IS GOOD! And slightly boosted, but not basshead level. Its a thumping kinda bass not so much a rumbling....

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #148 of 381
The vocals are superb on these.
The mids is where the vocals stay, correct?
I think the vocals are so present, and the staging is so exceptional, that other parts of the mids
seem to take a bit of a backseat.

I cannot tell if some of the guitars disappear a little bit because of the staging or focus on forward vocals. Timbre is really nice.

Any help or conversation about this?

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #149 of 381
FIIO FH7 is freakin FANTASTIC. Better than whole FInal B serie, DITA Fealty and Fidelity, Hifiman RE2000, Campfire Polaris....and even my oh so loved Audiosense T800 (less well balanced, more boomy bass and harsh treble but more open holographic soundstage)

FD1 is well tuned but I feel treble is the weakest part. I find it way more musical than JAde Audio EA3 but less crisp. BASS IS GOOD! And slightly boosted, but not basshead level. Its a thumping kinda bass not so much a rumbling....
How do you find treble to be a weakness? I'm not hearing any harshness in the treble so far. That's quite an achievement at this pice point. I also don't really find the treble lacking, if anything it could use a touch less.

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #150 of 381
How do you find treble to be a weakness? I'm not hearing any harshness in the treble so far. That's quite an achievement at this pice point. I also don't really find the treble lacking, if anything it could use a touch less.
While maybe 90% of FD1 owners would give them a recommendation, I haven't seen another pair (recently) that more exemplifies how we all hear things differently.

Some think that the sub bass is enough to satisfy most bassheads. Some think the low end is just OK
Some think the FD1 hits a sweet spot for general, western consumption, others think it's only going to appeal to a small niche market
Some find the top end has just the right amount of detail and sparkle, others think this is where the FD1 needs improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back