FiiO FD1 - 10mm 1DD IEM
Jul 10, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #151 of 381
While maybe 90% of FD1 owners would give them a recommendation, I haven't seen another pair (recently) that more exemplifies how we all hear things differently.

Some think that the sub bass is enough to satisfy most bassheads. Some think the low end is just OK
Some think the FD1 hits a sweet spot for general, western consumption, others think it's only going to appeal to a small niche market
Some find the top end has just the right amount of detail and sparkle, others think this is where the FD1 needs improvement.
Probably source dependent

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #152 of 381
While maybe 90% of FD1 owners would give them a recommendation, I haven't seen another pair (recently) that more exemplifies how we all hear things differently.

Some think that the sub bass is enough to satisfy most bassheads. Some think the low end is just OK
Some think the FD1 hits a sweet spot for general, western consumption, others think it's only going to appeal to a small niche market
Some find the top end has just the right amount of detail and sparkle, others think this is where the FD1 needs improvement
Very true! As far as my humble (still early) opinions....

I don’t think it is a bass head IEM at all, but it does have enough bass/sub bass to be realistic, punchy, fun, while not being intrusive all. Bass clarity, detail, speed, and texture are great though. It really reminds me a lot of the FDX1.
I hinted at this earlier, but I think I need to clarify. I don’t think that it is tuned for general consumerism, but I think it is very well balanced and clean sounding, such that it is a very mainstream and inoffensive sound for all IEM enthusiasts. In that capacity, I think the UrbanFun is more, niche sounding (bass head).
I do think the treble is VERY smooth sounding, with enough detail and sparkle. It is not a detail monster, but it is not veiled at all either. Actually, the one word I would use to best describe the sound is “clear”. Maybe that’s what some would call holographic? My only critique of the treble is that is is not very extended in the upper treble.

By the way, @lgcubana, how do you think the FD1 compares to the FDX1?

Jul 11, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #153 of 381
I've just acquired the rather excellent Sony Nw-a55 MP3 player and this works brilliantly with the Fiio FD1. The combination offers a slight boost in the lower frequencies and even with the bollocky EU volume cap goes very loud. Did a comparison last night between the Fiio FD1 and the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's and the FD1's came out very favourably. I think the TF10's have a slightly nicer top end but there really wasn't much between them. Not bad when you consider the price difference.

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #156 of 381
Please have a look at my recent review of FD1 and FH1S compared.

https://www.hxosplus.gr/reviews/fiio-fd1-and-fh1s-review/

Excellent value and more for both of them.

Thanks for the helpful review. I was on the fence about getting a second pair of the FH1s or an FD1. I appreciate the FH1s’ treble and had “concerns” about the FD1’s treble being probably not to my taste. You confirmed my suspicions. Another FH1s it is. :)

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #157 of 381
Got my FD1 yesterday. OOTB, very surprised by the sound signature...in a good way. I am treble sensitive and love my bass. I use Final E-Tips (size L) in order to get a firm seal, nice isolation and real good bass. Not N3 or E5000 bass, but it does the job nicely. The treble does not bother me at all. Mediums are a little thin, but nothing dramatic. I don't regret the purchase at all, the carrying case being the icing on the cake.

Sourcewise, I used DTR1 and my smartphone (Redmi note 8 pro). DTR1 clearly is a better source, but the smartphone does a good job, too.

Target reached for me, the FD1 will replace the Final E1000 for commuting.

Well done FiiO!

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #159 of 381
Thanks for the helpful review. I was on the fence about getting a second pair of the FH1s or an FD1. I appreciate the FH1s’ treble and had “concerns” about the FD1’s treble being probably not to my taste. You confirmed my suspicions. Another FH1s it is. :)
They are very close.
Get the FD1 for variation!!

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #160 of 381
I've just acquired the rather excellent Sony Nw-a55 MP3 player and this works brilliantly with the Fiio FD1. The combination offers a slight boost in the lower frequencies and even with the bollocky EU volume cap goes very loud. Did a comparison last night between the Fiio FD1 and the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's and the FD1's came out very favourably. I think the TF10's have a slightly nicer top end but there really wasn't much between them. Not bad when you consider the price difference.
You know the a55 can be uncapped with the rockbox tool don't you?

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #161 of 381
They are very close.
Get the FD1 for variation!!

You are making it tough!

But this is calling me:

046826B4-0C59-4973-BA23-1273B2D9697C.jpeg

Jul 11, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #162 of 381
Very true! As far as my humble (still early) opinions....

I don’t think it is a bass head IEM at all, but it does have enough bass/sub bass to be realistic, punchy, fun, while not being intrusive all. Bass clarity, detail, speed, and texture are great though. It really reminds me a lot of the FDX1...

By the way, @lgcubana,
how do you think the FD1 compares to the FDX1?
...The $60 FiiO FD1 is very impressive, but doesn’t have nearly as much bass as the BL03, and is not really a true alternative...
I'm trying to rationalize your comparison (on the bass) to the Blon BL-03. By bass, are you more targeting the mid bass. In which case I would agree, the FD1 has a cleaner mid bass, next to no bleeding; which is why I would see them as the next step up from the Blon BL-03. In regards to the basshead territory (under 80hz): I have two BL-03 sets and the FD1 is clearly more authoritative in the lower registers . If you agree with where the "Rumble" and "Chest Thump" are on the chart (in the sub bass range), are your FD1s failing to land there ?
1594490632409.png

I find the JVC HA-FD01 to be warmer overall (due to my customizing the sound dampening fill). A good analogy for the two IEMs would be the comparison of a Delta-Sigma setup (The FD1) vs. a Tube setup (HA-FD01). During the honeymoon phase, I was using the JVC HA-FD01 as my daily. But have to come to the conclusion that they're my turn the lights down low, take the phone off of the hook, pour myself a brown liquid and settle in for some slow Jazz.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #163 of 381
I spent another day with the FD1. Switching back and forth between smartphone and DAPs. Tidal and Bandcamp on the smartphone, CD-Rips and Lossless digital files on non-android DAPs. I also compared it to the BL-03 (same eartips, Final E-Tips size L, Bqeyz copper cable).

The FD1 is very confortable and the sound did not change much within 15 hours. I still like it as it is, and I confirmed previous impressions regarding tips and fit. This IEM is a chameleon, not always in a good way. JVC Spiral Dots open the sound too much, taming the bass and charging the treble with too much energy. It gets quite sibilant sometimes. Stock tips are better, balancing the whole signature, but fit is not as good as Final E-tips. Bass is the best with Final tips. This is just my opinion based on my sound signature preferences and ear anatomy, which is pretty standard I think.

Let's join the BL-03 the party. These are not complete opposite, but the BL-03 hits harder and deeper, has fuller midrange and softer treble. It is not a scoop for most people, I suppose. Is the FD1 better than the BL-03? It can be if your musical tastes and sound preferences match the FD1 strengths, which are a potent bass without the impact of BL-03, clear mediums and airy treble with none or very little sibilance (depends on the recording, seal and tips).

I am a bit torn apart between the 2, as the sound signature I am into also depends on my mood and fatigue level. Let's say that they complement each other for someone who is open to different sound signature. BL-03 is very pleasing in its warmish tonality, but FD1 is easier to drive and airier from end to end.

The Kbear KS2 should arrive anytime now, I will post a comparison on due time.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #164 of 381
FD1 is too intriguing to resist for the price. I was trying to hold off, since I have an NF Audio NM2 on the way, but I couldn't resist and just ordered an FD1 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back