[FiiO FA1] Single Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors, Knowles Customized BA Driver, DLP 3D Printing Technology,Detachable MMCX Cable
Feb 9, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #137 of 398
I did some serious listening last night and then again today. Noticed that the staging is really wide but the height doesn't extend very high up. That's one thing the FH5 provides is decent staging. As does the IT01. Bass is there, just tight and in smaller amounts. Coming off a DD, it feels lessened. Agreed the source plays a huge role. The N5ii is somewhat brighter while the R3 and X5iii provide a little more substance to the lower regions. The M5S is more neutral. I would not categorize the FA1 as bright, but there is definitely abundant details in the mid and lower-hi range.

I am using a different cable that what was supplied, 16 core copper/silver hybrid, but not balanced.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #139 of 398
The most interesting information gathered by reading these posts is how relative listening is.

The final judge is each of us in the privacy of our mind and ears. :)

This is so true, sorry, didn't make to have my opinion come off as fact. I forget to IMHO a lot of times. Each person carries likes and dislikes that color the listening experience. I just hope that some of my observations will guide those who are in need of some opinions.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #142 of 398
Trying to decide between the tin hifi T3's and the Fiio FA1's, can anyone shed some light on how they compare.

Also these seem to be hard to find, anyone know of someone who sells them that ships to Canada (Amazon.com won't)?

Fiio's AliExpress store is pretty good if you don't mind the shipping times (which will be especially long because of the Chinese New year).

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #145 of 398
Trying to decide between the tin hifi T3's and the Fiio FA1's, can anyone shed some light on how they compare.

Also these seem to be hard to find, anyone know of someone who sells them that ships to Canada (Amazon.com won't)?
I choose the fa1 over the t2, available at the time, because of lighter design. The t2 or t3 are metal and the fa1 is a 3d resin construction.

I wear the a1 all night long and weight, size, and comfort were paramount in my choice.

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #146 of 398
Hmmm, my impressiom is pretty different

Actually way different
Hmmm

If I compare it with same driver different variant counterpart(FIBAE 1) which is 3 times the price of FA1

I think FIBAE 1 is more sparkly and more finer on detail but that would be 10% or something(slightly noticeable)

FA1 is like, it gives you detail but when your brain really wanna pick it otherwise it blends and go back away.

OK now about only FA1

Bass done right from single driver(Can not go better). It has slightly more mid bass than FIBAE 1 but FIBAE 1 has more subbass extension, but both of them lie in neutral single BA type bass.

Mids are(Italian hand shape, goes to lips and muaah). Damm those mids are spectacular. Reached FIBAE level but emotion added due to mid bass hump. That small hump is what is the difference.

Treble was good. Actually not to the finesse level of FIBAE 1, but was smooth and better done. FIBAE 1 uses horn and acoustic loading principle.

Now comes the real monster comparision
Warbler audio prelude and FIBAE BLACK.

FA1 is Warbler audio prelude with 30% reduced soundstage. Both are single BA, but on audio purpose, I think Sonion driver has hand above Knowles.

Treble is more extended on warbler audio prelude while the best part is, mids sound very much same.

The emotion part.

Custom ART FIBAE black

The single BA best bass of the year from me. The best soundstage is also FIBAE black.

OK FA1 doesn't reach the level and quality of bass the FIBAE black does with same driver.

Well that is due to very complex Helmholtz tubing. Single BA with 3 tubing's or so....dont know.

FA1 mids seem more clear compared to super emotional FIBAE black

FA1 resolves more on upper mids compared to smooth BLACK

FA1 I think is what I would love to use on critical listening with phase in mind.

The phase was flat and space construction was near accurate.

And things were also going above head on binaural recording.

This means the stage is perfect sphere and that is a hard feat in itself.

FA7 is oval in while most space is near your ears and front is on your face.

FA1, even though smaller is actually better in space time positioning

Test done on
AUDIOSTAX CD

Search on youtube

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #147 of 398
@JamesFiiO @FiiO

I have this question bugging me for a time now

Fiio FA1 has same driver as custom art FIBAE 1
(Knowles 33357)?
Or is it a different variant number with same model number.

Well, I have FIBAE 1 and that blows me away with sound quality and pure extension while sounding neutral.
Etymotic ER4SR + subbass + treble extension = FIBAE 1

What sort of expectation should I have with FA1

Well one more thing you forgot to market
I asked Knowles about 33357 driver

They said it is flat impedance, flat phase no delay driver with very strict requirement.

My graph is quite a bit different to Chris's - but is aligned to what I'm hearing.

Usual disclaimer .......

The graphs I use are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget. I suspect it is slightly down at around 9-10 kHz, and tend to dip slightly at sub bass with foam tips), but seems reasonably accurate through the rest of the spectrum.

I do not claim that the measurements are in any way more accurate than anyone else’s, but they have been proven to be consistent and I think they should be enough to give a reasonable idea of response – especially if you’ve followed any of my other reviews. When measuring I usually always use crystal foam tips (medium bore opening) – and the reason I use them is for very consistent seal and placement depth in the coupler. I use the same amp (E11K) for all my measurements – and output is under 1 ohm. FTR - FiiO has consistently mentioned that my graphs are in line with their own measurements.

Bass is nicely matched to both upper mids and lower treble. Very good bass extension - including sub-bass. But its really clean bass. There is sufficient rumble, but its not over-done. Mids tend to favour female vocals just a little, but again not excessively. Male vocals are ever so slightly on the lean side, but not unpleasantly so. There is enough lower treble to allow detail without getting splashy. Cymbals sound great.

I like the FA1 a lot more than the FA7. A touch cool - but with enough bass to give impact.

Great fit. These are really to my tastes!
At $100 on Amazon, that's all the introduction I needed. I don't know about these being a FA7-killer, but if you're not going to EQ the FA7s, and you want to see what a well-executed all-BA design can do at an attractive price point, the FA1 is an excellent choice. It seems like a really good do-it-all-out-of-the-box, easy-to-drive earphone. If we're talking FIBAE impedance and phase tolerances, then these should be pretty forgiving of source impedance. I haven't experienced its hiss sensitivity, but @ 15 Ohms/111 dB/mW, that might be a potential caveat for some use cases.

Unfortunately, there's no fixing the Realtek headphone sound out of the 3.5 mm jack on my Lenovo Yoga 720 laptop. Bass is anemic with any earphone, and the highs are crispier than black bacon dust. Outboard sound is still necessary, there. However, these became my go-to earphones straight out of my iPad Pro. I put the LC-3.5B cable from my FH5 on them, as I like having the chin slider, and it really matches better with the shell design.

I haven't really started to tweak EQ on these yet, though I do notice some of the same characteristics that Paul reports above. I still prefer the FA7's default midrange tuning, though I've yet to compare them with some EQ on the FA1. I immediately went to the included M bass tips, as those fit me the best with the FA7, and the shell shape appears to be identical.

I think I'd give the FA7's CI-22955 low-end driver the edge in overall capability, its warm tone, as utilized, notwithstanding. That said, you can crank up the sub-bass in the FA1 with impunity (say, up to +9 dB around 31.5 Hz, though it wouldn't be to my taste), and it remains quite clean. You still get more with the monster driver in the FA7, though. I'd really like to see a measured comparison of the two with regards to THD over frequency, at, say, 80-100 dB SPL.

Try this recording on for size.

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #148 of 398
At $100 on Amazon, that's all the introduction I needed. I don't know about these being a FA7-killer, but if you're not going to EQ the FA7s, and you want to see what a well-executed all-BA design can do at an attractive price point, the FA1 is an excellent choice. It seems like a really good do-it-all-out-of-the-box, easy-to-drive earphone. If we're talking FIBAE impedance and phase tolerances, then these should be pretty forgiving of source impedance. I haven't experienced its hiss sensitivity, but @ 15 Ohms/111 dB/mW, that might be a potential caveat for some use cases.

Unfortunately, there's no fixing the Realtek headphone sound out of the 3.5 mm jack on my Lenovo Yoga 720 laptop. Bass is anemic with any earphone, and the highs are crispier than black bacon dust. Outboard sound is still necessary, there. However, these became my go-to earphones straight out of my iPad Pro. I put the LC-3.5B cable from my FH5 on them, as I like having the chin slider, and it really matches better with the shell design.

I haven't really started to tweak EQ on these yet, though I do notice some of the same characteristics that Paul reports above. I still prefer the FA7's default midrange tuning, though I've yet to compare them with some EQ on the FA1. I immediately went to the included M bass tips, as those fit me the best with the FA7, and the shell shape appears to be identical.

I think I'd give the FA7's CI-22955 low-end driver the edge in overall capability, its warm tone, as utilized, notwithstanding. That said, you can crank up the sub-bass in the FA1 with impunity (say, up to +9 dB around 31.5 Hz, though it wouldn't be to my taste), and it remains quite clean. You still get more with the monster driver in the FA7, though. I'd really like to see a measured comparison of the two with regards to THD over frequency, at, say, 80-100 dB SPL.

Try this recording on for size.

Use FINAL type e eartips

Tried now

Mind blown

Better than CI in bass speed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back