[FiiO FA1] Single Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors, Knowles Customized BA Driver, DLP 3D Printing Technology,Detachable MMCX Cable
Feb 8, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #121 of 398
I've been on Head-Fi for quite a while, but I've tended to dip in only when I'm in the market for something new, so I've ended up being sort of a perpetual neophyte:).

I remember reading that sensitive ear/headphones can get too loud before the the sweet spot of a powerful amp is reached, I don't know if this is what you mean.

In any case, that wouldn't be a problem for me at this point. I use the SMSL Idea, which Audio Science Review measured as having 45 mW output at 33 ohms. I was just curious.
It is my opinion that the fa1 was primarily designed for a smartphone or the fiio btr3 or btr1k at low to moderate volume. As I tried to explain the fa1 fits my needs within this perimeter. :)

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #123 of 398
Interesting - I've tested literally hundreds of IEMs - from low price up to $1000++

For $100 I find the FA1 one o the best releases FiiO has made. The bass is balanced and far from "mushy" to me (the bass is fast and textured - it just isn't over-done). If you want heavy bass use a dynamic. I've yet to find a BA bass driver which is "mushy".

And to add - there is no peak at 4 kHz (there is actually a dip). And definitely no distortion - how loud are you listening?

If you refer page 3 of this thread I've measured them. You may find the results interesting .......

If you prefer a very warm and flat presentation (but still want a BA set-up), I'd suggest trying the FA7. Not my preference (I think they are too bassy) - you may like them though.

I finally got to put these on a frequency meter and the ones I got have a big peak at 4k. I got them from Amazon so if there is a problem with them I'll get a replacement.

Feb 8, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #125 of 398
I finally got to put these on a frequency meter and the ones I got have a big peak at 4k. I got them from Amazon so if there is a problem with them I'll get a replacement.

When you say "put them on a frequency meter" - what equipment did you use? Because if its a smart phone app, and its not using a calibrated mic, then the results may not mean anything. Also if you are using a tube to a mic, insertion depth can artificially create a resonant point which often occurs around 4 kHz.

So my advice - be careful if you're going off information from an uncalibrated device. This is the sole reason I had mine calibrated against an iec711 standard.

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #126 of 398
I'm getting accustomed to the FA1' bass performance.

It really has subbass and and it can go deep, just no as extended as FH5. Loving how the bass sounds on tons of genres, and actually, it's not bad for genres like Hip-Hop, R&B, and electronic.

I don't know if this is burn in or brain burn but the bass is getting better and better.

FA1 can appeal to all genres.

Feb 9, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #127 of 398
I gotta say the FA1 is an exceptionally comfortable IEM for me - one of the most comfortable I've tried in recent times for sure.

DSC_0466_result.jpg

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #130 of 398
Looking for differences between FA1 and FA7, is price difference 2.8x really worth it?
It would depend on what you listen with; the fa1 is fine with my iphone se or fiio btr1k, but is not my choice with fiio q5. I do use the fa1 in this way.

I do have both fh5 and fa7 and are the only fiio's I would use with my q5.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #131 of 398
It would depend on what you listen with; the fa1 is fine with my iphone se or fiio btr1k, but is not my choice with fiio q5. I do use the fa1 in this way.

I do have both fh5 and fa7 and are the only fiio's I would use with my q5.

I would listen to one of them though M3K player, so sonic differences is my main point.

Feb 9, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #132 of 398
Hmmmm....interesting things going on with my comparison between the FA1 and an EQ’d FA7 - through an ES-100. I listened to the FA1s extensively this morning and I was really impressed by the vocals and higher frequencies. Lots of detail, lots of separation. Lows are ok, mid bass ok. Wish it had a tad more!!

This afternoon listened to the same songs using a FA7s EQ’d to Brooko’s settings which balanced everything out with the large mid bass inherent in the FA7s. Have to say they still sound veiled compared to the FA1s..even with some mild EQ.

Did a little back and forth comparison and I really starting to like the FA1s more and more. Question is....will those detailed highs be fatiguing over time.

I know I keep saying this but what I want is a middle ground solution!! :)

More to come later.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #133 of 398
Hmmmm....interesting things going on with my comparison between the FA1 and an EQ’d FA7 - through an ES-100. I listened to the FA1s extensively this morning and I was really impressed by the vocals and higher frequencies. Lots of detail, lots of separation. Lows are ok, mid bass ok. Wish it had a tad more!!

This afternoon listened to the same songs using a FA7s EQ’d to Brooko’s settings which balanced everything out with the large mid bass inherent in the FA7s. Have to say they still sound veiled compared to the FA1s..even with some mild EQ.

Did a little back and forth comparison and I really starting to like the FA1s more and more. Question is....will those detailed highs be fatiguing over time.

I know I keep saying this but what I want is a middle ground solution!! :)

More to come later.

That is interesting, I've been doing the same, back and forth with the FH5, and I'm already considering the FA1 superior and more engaging than my 250 hours burned FH5. Even my co-workers are agreeing with me.

FH5 sound veiled compared to the FA1. The details retrieval, separation, vocals etc are quite better on FA1, they are excellently tuned! totally non-faguiing for me, like you think they may become fatiguing after an hour listening but they never.

I swapped the cord with a 16 core silver plated cable, the bass tad and extension has improved for me.

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #134 of 398
Glad that I am not the only one who thinks the FA1s are really are good in comparison to other FiiOs. I just combined the ES-100 to the FA1s and bumped up the bass a bit. I am all smiles after going back and listening to the same songs again.

The big bonus is that these are quite comfortable too!

98% sure the FA7s are being returned!
Bold Statement!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #135 of 398
Glad that I am not the only one who thinks the FA1s are really are good in comparison to other FiiOs. I just combined the ES-100 to the FA1s and bumped up the bass a bit. I am all smiles after going back and listening to the same songs again.

The big bonus is that these are quite comfortable too!

98% sure the FA7s are being returned!
Bold Statement!

The bass may vary depending on the source too, and it can get increased via EQ. without compromise.

Using my OPPO HA2 SE, bass tad increased sub bass extended too; bass sounds way lighter using my Itouch 8th directly, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back