[FiiO FA1] Single Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors, Knowles Customized BA Driver, DLP 3D Printing Technology,Detachable MMCX Cable
Jan 30, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #31 of 398
they look very strange to me, big chunk of resin and a small BA close to the nozzle, why so big body when is not necessary?
Mass or weight is more important than size and the mass seems to be very light; the size seems to designed to fit the outer ear and stay in place. I ordered the fa1 today and is expected to ship from usa amazon on 2/2/19. :)

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #32 of 398
Loving it - only had in my ears for about 10 minutes, so very early impressions only.

Will graph tomorrow

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #34 of 398
LOL - you'll need to give me a few hours to run through a test suite to comment on that. Still too early. Just getting used to them first :wink:

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #35 of 398
My graph is quite a bit different to Chris's - but is aligned to what I'm hearing.

Usual disclaimer .......

The graphs I use are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget. I suspect it is slightly down at around 9-10 kHz, and tend to dip slightly at sub bass with foam tips), but seems reasonably accurate through the rest of the spectrum.

I do not claim that the measurements are in any way more accurate than anyone else’s, but they have been proven to be consistent and I think they should be enough to give a reasonable idea of response – especially if you’ve followed any of my other reviews. When measuring I usually always use crystal foam tips (medium bore opening) – and the reason I use them is for very consistent seal and placement depth in the coupler. I use the same amp (E11K) for all my measurements – and output is under 1 ohm. FTR - FiiO has consistently mentioned that my graphs are in line with their own measurements.

fiio fa1.png

Bass is nicely matched to both upper mids and lower treble. Very good bass extension - including sub-bass. But its really clean bass. There is sufficient rumble, but its not over-done. Mids tend to favour female vocals just a little, but again not excessively. Male vocals are ever so slightly on the lean side, but not unpleasantly so. There is enough lower treble to allow detail without getting splashy. Cymbals sound great.

I like the FA1 a lot more than the FA7. A touch cool - but with enough bass to give impact.

Great fit. These are really to my tastes!

Feb 1, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #36 of 398
My graph is quite a bit different to Chris's - but is aligned to what I'm hearing.

Usual disclaimer .......

The graphs I use are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget. I suspect it is slightly down at around 9-10 kHz, and tend to dip slightly at sub bass with foam tips), but seems reasonably accurate through the rest of the spectrum.

I do not claim that the measurements are in any way more accurate than anyone else’s, but they have been proven to be consistent and I think they should be enough to give a reasonable idea of response – especially if you’ve followed any of my other reviews. When measuring I usually always use crystal foam tips (medium bore opening) – and the reason I use them is for very consistent seal and placement depth in the coupler. I use the same amp (E11K) for all my measurements – and output is under 1 ohm. FTR - FiiO has consistently mentioned that my graphs are in line with their own measurements.

Bass is nicely matched to both upper mids and lower treble. Very good bass extension - including sub-bass. But its really clean bass. There is sufficient rumble, but its not over-done. Mids tend to favour female vocals just a little, but again not excessively. Male vocals are ever so slightly on the lean side, but not unpleasantly so. There is enough lower treble to allow detail without getting splashy. Cymbals sound great.

I like the FA1 a lot more than the FA7. A touch cool - but with enough bass to give impact.

Sound awesome - anyone know when will be available in UK?

Feb 1, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #39 of 398

Usual disclaimer .......

Brooko

Thank you for the excellent review and graph, do you know the diameter of the nozzle and what is the length of the nozzle as compared to to fa7 and fh5?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #40 of 398
Brooko

Thank you for the excellent review and graph, do you know the diameter of the nozzle and what is the length of the nozzle as compared to to fa7 and fh5?

Nozzle diameter is 5.5mm (that's essentially measurement of the lip)

Length - just the nozzle - is 5mm. This is essentially the same as FA7 and FH5. The difference of course is the ergonomic design. FA7 and FA1 uses the new ergonomic 3D printed resin - which has a more contoured (less shallow) fit.

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #41 of 398
Nozzle diameter is 5.5mm (that's essentially measurement of the lip)

Length - just the nozzle - is 5mm. This is essentially the same as FA7 and FH5. The difference of course is the ergonomic design. FA7 and FA1 uses the new ergonomic 3D printed resin - which has a more contoured (less shallow) fit.
Thank you!

I agree about the new 3d printing resin production fiio is using; the fit of the fa7 is a big improvement over the fh5 for me.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #42 of 398

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

This FR looks just about perfect!

Feb 1, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #43 of 398
Its really good. For me personally I still like the upper mid-range freq curve on the FA7 - they just spoilt it with too much lover mid, mid-bass and sub-bass (lacking overall balance). The FA1 actually sounds better to me (OOTB)

Feb 2, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #45 of 398
About to pull the trigger on these, I was hesitating between FA1 and IT01S as I've always preferred a little bit of a V-shape signature for the kind of music I like. I hope the FA1 will do the job as an all-rounder. Plus I really like the looks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back