[FiiO FA1] Single Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors, Knowles Customized BA Driver, DLP 3D Printing Technology,Detachable MMCX Cable
Feb 18, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #181 of 398
I really like the looks of the red/blue. I got the gray, and while they are nice, I like the easy r/l identification. I have the solid red/blue on the IT01, it looks better with the FA1.
I got the IT01 in black so I needed these in Red/Blue. I do too like the easy identification

What does the balanced cable do and can I still use it with a standard 3.5 mm jack?
With an adapter yes, but balanced directly needs a 2.5 or 4.4 port. The benefits of balanced are sometimes noticeable and sometimes not. It's a debate that I won't bring upon the thread. I go balanced bc why not, cant hurt the sound.

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #182 of 398
I currently have the Fiio F5 which I use with the Fiio Q1Mk2 amp/dac through the balanced cable. They sound ok, but they are too on the warm side an the treble is a bit too polite.
Does anyone know if the FA1 would be a significant upgrade? Some people describe them as smooth/sweet, which I am not looking for, others as balanced with a touch of warmth, but still sparkly and detailed in the mids and highs, which seems a better fit for me. I listen to a lot of guitar-driven music.
Touch of warmth to help out the single BA with it's bass. The focus is mids and treble since that's a BA strength but it's balanced overall. I'd give most focus to the mids. Listening to Opeth right now And it sounds great.

Feb 18, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #183 of 398
Touch of warmth to help out the single BA with it's bass. The focus is mids and treble since that's a BA strength but it's balanced overall. I'd give most focus to the mids. Listening to Opeth right now And it sounds great.

ha...wasnt sure FA1 sound good with metal, thanks for confirming :)

what source do you use with FA1?

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #184 of 398
So far only tested with my ZX300. Will test with my ES100 and ES100/Little Bear B4-X later tonight.

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #185 of 398
Pardon if this not the appropriate thread, but could someone who owns a pair comment on isolation and sound leakage from the Fiio FA1?

If I understand correctly single balanced armature designs should perform well in both those characters.

I'd like something for use in an office.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #186 of 398
Pardon if this not the appropriate thread, but could someone who owns a pair comment on isolation and sound leakage from the Fiio FA1?

If I understand correctly single balanced armature designs should perform well in both those characters.

I'd like something for use in an office.
Idk about sound leakage but as far as iso goes, they Are top notch. Pretty sure bc they are completely sealed with no port.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #187 of 398
Idk about sound leakage but as far as iso goes, they Are top notch. Pretty sure bc they are completely sealed with no port.
Actually, they do have a port in the shell. You can also tell by the lack of pressure build-up upon insertion (unlike the unvented FA7). That said, I think isolation and sound leakage are on par with the FA7. My wife, who has very sensitive hearing, could not hear them at night.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #189 of 398
Actually, they do have a port in the shell. You can also tell by the lack of pressure build-up upon insertion (unlike the unvented FA7). That said, I think isolation and sound leakage are on par with the FA7. My wife, who has very sensitive hearing, could not hear them at night.

@mhoopes, SeeD, and Lurk650

Thank you for the replies that's what I wanted to know.

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #190 of 398
I have the fa1, fa7, and fh 5 and each has its own unique way for fitting ear tips for my particular ear canal.

I have found the information provided on this and other sites to be very informative, but the final solution each of us must find on our own. What may work for others, may not work for you.

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #191 of 398
interesting, have to look closer at the shell. Due to the isolation I figured there was no vent. I've had vented gear that still has build up.

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #193 of 398
I think a lot of it has to with sound propagation, reflection, resonance, and diffraction. I'd imagine there is also some compression factors playing in the design. I am not, in any way, any kind of authority on this. I'd leave it to the folks at sound science threads to explain it.

Kind of mind boggling that amount of detail that goes into the design of something so small yet provides such a wealth of great sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back