FiiO F9, F9Pro-Detachable MMCX connector,Hi-Res Audio Certified,2.5mm TRRS/3.5mm audio cable
Jan 2, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #1,276 of 1,544
I've had no issues with loose connections. If anything maybe the opposite. They're hard to get apart and then reconnect. Once I do they're not coming apart by accident. Another bit of "weirdness". Tried the Pro's with my Fiio X5 III, and can say it's the combo I like least for them. I simply cannot get the sound where I prefer it, and yes this means using the EQ. The treble peak is kind of impossible to get rid of without ruining the rest of the sound. In comparison, I listen to Google Play on my phone or my tablet most of the time, and using the basic "dials" to adjust the sound, I turn the one dial one notch towards the more bass/less treble and boom. It's all I need to do to make them sound wonderful. So, unless there's some setting on the X5 I'm missing I'll just stick to my various Samsung devices.
Say... After turning the knob/dial on dat Samsung, tap on Advanced and it will show the EQ graph. Then maybe see if the sound is similar on your X5 if you copy that EQ curve over? :thinking:

Jan 2, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #1,277 of 1,544
Say... After turning the knob/dial on dat Samsung, tap on Advanced and it will show the EQ graph. Then maybe see if the sound is similar on your X5 if you copy that EQ curve over? :thinking:
I should clarify, if I have to I can listen to them without using any adjustments (EQing) on my phone or tablet. I do just barely adjust the Google Play app, not the device itself. But I don't need to. But there's something about the base sound of the X5 III that just doesn't match up with the Pro"s properly. I know I've read in the DAPs thread that others have been annoyed about the base SQ of it changing as it's had software updates. I'm not giving up my Pro's or my DAP, just probably not pairing them up any more.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #1,278 of 1,544
I should clarify, if I have to I can listen to them without using any adjustments (EQing) on my phone or tablet. I do just barely adjust the Google Play app, not the device itself. But I don't need to. But there's something about the base sound of the X5 III that just doesn't match up with the Pro"s properly. I know I've read in the DACs thread that others have been annoyed about the base SQ of it changing as it's had software updates. I'm not giving up my Pro's or my DAC, just probably not pairing them up any more.
Agreed on the no EQ thing. Hardware is where it's at.

I'm kind of unwilling/densely averse to touch software EQs, meself. I think I need help, man. Heh.

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #1,279 of 1,544
Also - tips. These are the most tip-dependent IEMs I've ever tried. Out of roughly a dozen pairs of tips I tried the Fiio stock black (balanced) tips are my preference - they subdue the peakiness a bit without totally killing the sparkle and without recessing vocals. The dark/red (bass) tips provide the best treble response for me but they make the vocals way too quiet. Of course YMMV.

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #1,280 of 1,544
Also - tips. These are the most tip-dependent IEMs I've ever tried. Out of roughly a dozen pairs of tips I tried the Fiio stock black (balanced) tips are my preference - they subdue the peakiness a bit without totally killing the sparkle and without recessing vocals. The dark/red (bass) tips provide the best treble response for me but they make the vocals way too quiet. Of course YMMV.
I've been using the dark/red tips myself, may need to try switching back to the stock again.

Jan 2, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #1,282 of 1,544
So with the F9, you get plain Black or Red depending on the colour of your F9's and also the Grey opaque tips with a red centre with both colours.

My question is, which is the balanced and which is the bass enhanced tips?

Jan 3, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #1,283 of 1,544
Ok here's a funny story. Take it with as many grains of salt as you wish but it worked perfectly for me.

I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to fine tune the treble with EQ and tip rolling exactly where I wanted it but it just wouldn't work - the highs would either be too fatiguing or lose the sparkle. Then on a whim I took a piece of tissue paper (Scotties 2-ply facial tissue to be exact) and fitted it over the nozzle with a wide bore tip (the wider tube made the fit over the nozzle easier) and the highs are now spectacular for me without EQ. I've been listening for several hours now and there is no treble fatigue but all the detail and sparkle is there. Very high-tech solution indeed but worked well. :)

IMG_1661.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #1,284 of 1,544
Ok here's a funny story. Take it with as many grains of salt as you wish but it worked perfectly for me.

I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to fine tune the treble with EQ and tip rolling exactly where I wanted it but it just wouldn't work - the highs would either be too fatiguing or lose the sparkle. Then on a whim I took a piece of tissue paper (Scotties 2-ply facial tissue to be exact) and fitted it over the nozzle with a wide bore tip (the wider tube made the fit over the nozzle easier) and the highs are now spectacular for me without EQ. I've been listening for several hours now and there is no treble fatigue but all the detail and sparkle is there. Very high-tech solution indeed but worked well. :)

Not really crazy as I've read people that use tea bags as filters so your story makes sense.

Jan 3, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #1,285 of 1,544

good idea, maybe we should develop a new IEW and people can change the some parts so they get the sound they like.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #1,286 of 1,544
I received my F9 Pro yesterday. My first impression it is good but not as per my liking. I mostly listen to old hindi(India) songs.
So, I have decided to sell it.
PM me if anyone interested. I'm from India and I can ship to anywhere in the world :)

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #1,288 of 1,544
Is there anyway to get the tips that come with the F9 separately? I find they fit my ears better then most and I would like to pick up a few more sets for my other IEM's.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #1,289 of 1,544
Hi

Has anyone tried FiiO's rc-mmcxb balanced cable on the F9/F9 Pro?

Regards

Darren
I was sent the RC-MMCXB cable when I bought the Q1ii, courtesy of Fiio. It’s an improvement over the standard balanced cable that came with my F9 Pro. Bass is tighter and more refined, mids are just slightly more forward and highs are less rolled off. Overall better clarity and soundstage also increased slightly. I’d say it’s a good improvement.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #1,290 of 1,544
On the first pair I ordered it was the opposite - the right connector was very loose. All the cables I tried would wiggle loosely in the connector and sound would cut out with every movement. The Fiio cables themselves were fine. I tried them with my other IEMs and the connection was great. The female part in the housing was the problem. I ordered a second pair and both connectors are ok. Will return the first pair.
Dear friend,

Thanks for the kind feedback. We would also report to our engineer about this and pay more attention about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back