FiiO F9, F9Pro-Detachable MMCX connector,Hi-Res Audio Certified,2.5mm TRRS/3.5mm audio cable
Jan 4, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #1,292 of 1,544
I was sent the RC-MMCXB cable when I bought the Q1ii, courtesy of Fiio. It’s an improvement over the standard balanced cable that came with my F9 Pro. Bass is tighter and more refined, mids are just slightly more forward and highs are less rolled off. Overall better clarity and soundstage also increased slightly. I’d say it’s a good improvement.

How did you volume match when you compared? I take it you made the comparison with the Q1ii?

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble - but I can show (via measurements) that with the F9 Pro, there is no frequency change when volume matched (so chances are it was a volume difference you heard). The SNR and crosstalk differences are beyond normal human audibility.

Your comments regarding highs changing and mids being more forward should definitely show on a frequency comparison (they don't). Funnily enough - I have a good sized collection of balanced cables now including some from ALO. When volume matched - they all measure the same.

The cable definitely looks prettier, and FiiO have upped their game with their sheathing though.

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #1,293 of 1,544
How did you volume match when you compared? I take it you made the comparison with the Q1ii?

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble - but I can show (via measurements) that with the F9 Pro, there is no frequency change when volume matched (so chances are it was a volume difference you heard). The SNR and crosstalk differences are beyond normal human audibility.

Your comments regarding highs changing and mids being more forward should definitely show on a frequency comparison (they don't). Funnily enough - I have a good sized collection of balanced cables now including some from ALO. When volume matched - they all measure the same.

The cable definitely looks prettier, and FiiO have upped their game with their sheathing though.

I fully agree. I have not yet seen any reviews or papers that can convince me of the claimed magical quality of upgrade cables, I personally believe it is a placebo.

Yes upgrade cables may look better and feel better but that does not make their sound quality any better. Poor quality materials and manufacturing such as bad joints and connections in cheaper cables may impact on sound, but that is a quality issue. Even within the most expensive audio room I doubt that many would honestly notice the difference between cables because as Brooko has stated, if there is a difference, then it is typically beyond the human audible range.

I have just purchased the RC-MMCXB as Quidco gave me a £10.00 Christmas cashback and AMP3 was offering a 15% sales voucher. Having tested them, they are very nice. The quality appears very good and thankfully they attach and detach easily. As hoped, the sound quality is very good with the FiiO F9 Pro, however, I cannot say that they are any better audibly as I cannot hear any difference. On the ear I found them more comfortable as they do not have the hard shroud, however, without the shroud they did fall off my ear while fidgeting.

I have now placed them in my tech box as backup cables as I have lost many standard earphones due to cable damage (heavy handed use).

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,294 of 1,544
Just a point of feedback that when I used the Access-port, F9pro was bright but enjoyable and when I used Walnut V2.1, the F9pro was lusciously smooth.
So my conclusion is F9pro can do both sound signatures depending on the amp. And the power of the Walnut really makes the F9pro shine.

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #1,295 of 1,544
Ok here's a funny story. Take it with as many grains of salt as you wish but it worked perfectly for me.

I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to fine tune the treble with EQ and tip rolling exactly where I wanted it but it just wouldn't work - the highs would either be too fatiguing or lose the sparkle. Then on a whim I took a piece of tissue paper (Scotties 2-ply facial tissue to be exact) and fitted it over the nozzle with a wide bore tip (the wider tube made the fit over the nozzle easier) and the highs are now spectacular for me without EQ. I've been listening for several hours now and there is no treble fatigue but all the detail and sparkle is there. Very high-tech solution indeed but worked well. :)

Nice experiment ,

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #1,298 of 1,544
Sadly, I have succumbed to the treble fatigue from the Pros. I no longer have them.
My body isn't ready for these brighties. I'll take my broken heart and tenderised eardrums elsewhere.

My search continues. Waiting for a brick and mortar to get the FH1s so I could hog them for 1 hour. For extensive fatigue testing.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,299 of 1,544
Jan 6, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #1,300 of 1,544
Jan 6, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #1,301 of 1,544
It's been a month since the F9 PRO's debut on FiiO 2017 Autumn Launch Event. Ever after that, we've received many positive feedbacks from the public. Comparing to the F9, the F9 PRO has been improved not only from its configurations and sound quality, but also from its accessories with an extra water-resistant neoprene carrying pouch and more types of ear tips.

In terms of the ear tips, different type brings different wearing experience as well as sound signature. Changes on the length, diameter and material of the ear tips might not make any differences to the frequency response curve, but will surely give you a different sound.
On demand of the customers, we hereby introduce the sound trend of each type of ear tips supplied with the F9 PRO. But please also note that the sound quality is an objective term, so it's for your reference only.

A. Balanced Ear Tips

Color: Black for both exterior silicon and interior tube
Size: 3 pairs in small, medium and large sizes
Diameter of the tube: φ3.5mm
Applicable installation diameter: φ3.5-φ6.0mm
Material: Silicon
Balanced ear tips means the sound signature is balanced preferably when applied to FiiO F9 Series as well as the newly-released FH1, instead of all types of earphones. This type of ear tips possesses strong cohesion force on the sound, as well as good bass elasticity and sound reproduction.
The diameters are φ3.5mm for the tubes of both the ear tips and the earbuds. When the sound travels through the air, the consistency of the tubes is good for reducing resonant harmonic when the air flows. Meanwhile, the high frequency sound has strong directivity. When passing through narrow and twisted sound tube, it fades away very fast. So it requires the driver cavity to be as smooth as possible, in order to ensure the extended highs as well as smooth mids and vocals.

B. Bass Ear Tips

Color: Black for exterior silicon and Red for interior tube
Diameter of the tube: φ4.5mm
Applicable installation diameter: φ4.5-φ7.0mm
Material: Mixed silicon
Apart from making an attractive looking, the bi-color design can also help improve the wearing experience and fasten the ear tip tightly to the earbud tube. Generally for For bi-color design, it will use two types of silicon with different hardness ranging from 30° to 60°. The exterior part uses silicon in low hardness from 30° to 40° for better sound isolation and wearing comfort, while the interior tube part uses silicon in 30° to 40° hardness to ensure stable wearing. Meanwhile, the real bi-color ear tips has a clear boundary line while the fake one doesn't have obvious boundary line with one color penetrating to the other.
The bigger tubes of the bass ear tips can result in slower transient response and less elasticity than the balanced ones. The Airflow shares the same principle as the water flow. For example, if the water volume and time is fixed, the flow is more rapid when running through the small tube than the big one. In the same way, when using the bigger-tube bass ear tips, you can feel the sound to be more moderate and a little loose.

C. Vocal Ear Tips

Color: Transparent for exterior silicon and Red for interior tube
Diameter of the tube: φ3.5mm
Applicable installation diameter: φ3.5-φ6.0mm
Material: Mixed silicon
Just as the bass ear tips, it also uses bi-color design. During the release of the F9, we have received many feedbacks from our customers, and based on the feedback and some reference from other brands, we have developed the Vocal ear tips, which can effecrtively improve the vocal and dental sounds.
The vocal ear tips have moderate hardness, and the spiral line design further secures the fit and comfort. Meanwhile, it spares enough space for airflow, which highlights the vocal sounds.

D. Foam Ear Tips

Color: Black
Size: 3 pairs in same one-fits-all size
Diameter of the tube: φ4.8mm
Applicable installation diameter: φ5.0-φ6.0mm
Material: Foam
Taking advantage of foam's merits of slow rebound and lasting tension, the foam ear tips can fill your ear canals and bring you much comfort like the customized earphones. Owing to its softness, it is capable of isolating most of the sound from outside, so as to enhance the bass. Meanwhile the small holes inside the foam can absorb the treble, which can further highlight the bass.
All in all, listening experience is a quite subjective term. It'd be better for you to try different ear tips and feel the different sound signatures to find out the ones that suit you most!

For more info of F9 PRO, please kindly visit: http://www.fiio.net/en/products/74#F9PRO

Actually, I found tips "C"(White and red) are Bass tips whereas tips "B" (Black and red) are vocal tips.
I tested these on Astell&Kern Jr and Ipod. I may be wrong as you rightly said sound is very subjective.

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #1,302 of 1,544
I previously posted that I am now wearing generic memory foam tips and finding them just as good as my old Comply tips. Well, as I have now upgraded to the F9 Pro I decided to get some grey tips to match, so I bought NewBee again.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071S5N9RC

611WhTocwVL._SL1200_.jpg

Having now worn these for a week I can say that these are incredible considering the price. I previously mentioned that as I have gone down to size small (less foam) and that these do not feel as squishy as my old Comply. This is no longer the case, I purchased two boxes (12 sets) and all of them are very soft.

As they provide a tight comfortable seal I receive the full bass potential from the F9 Pro, so if you want good bass I can highly recommend them, and they are currently only £3.95 as an Add-on item.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #1,303 of 1,544
So in the end I ended up getting the Fiio F9 SE knowing full well that the hot mid/treble peak was going to be an issue for me-however in doing this I took Brooko's suggestion of adjusting the 8K fader down on my EQ (Poweramp) on my Galaxy S8.
Sure enough when I got them they were way too hot for my liking but the eq adjustment of just the 8k region a few db TOTALLY transformed the sound to my liking. It's amazing when I toggle the EQ on and off it's that dramatic.
I figure these are at steal at $69 on Amazon (again Standard Edition). Great braided cable (no controls), awesome case, small and super comfortable, and with the eq adjustment quite balanced with just a bit of bass boost over neutral which is my preferred sound signature.

Jan 16, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #1,305 of 1,544
Hello, I have recently got Shure SE535 and noticed that I liked it better than the F9 Pros. After listening to Shures, I sadly can't go back to F9 Pro. PM me if anyone is looking for F9 PRO from India. I must have listened to them for about 5-6 hours after I received on 19th Dec. Apologies for OoT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back