FiiO F9, F9Pro-Detachable MMCX connector,Hi-Res Audio Certified,2.5mm TRRS/3.5mm audio cable
Oct 16, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #753 of 1,544
Okay, so yesterday I started the day listening to my brand new F9s. I really enjoyed listening to them all day and I thought they sounded wonderful. Today I used my Shure SE846s and my jaw hit the ground. Oh my, did I say 8/10ths of the sound? I was wrong to say that. The F9s sound wonderful and for what they cost they are a very good deal. But the 846s are worth the 10 times cost as well. To me at least.

I am glad to have both. (and all the other headphones I have except for that one pair).

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #754 of 1,544
Okay, so yesterday I started the day listening to my brand new F9s. I really enjoyed listening to them all day and I thought they sounded wonderful. Today I used my Shure SE846s and my jaw hit the ground. Oh my, did I say 8/10ths of the sound? I was wrong to say that. The F9s sound wonderful and for what they cost they are a very good deal. But the 846s are worth the 10 times cost as well. To me at least.

I am glad to have both. (and all the other headphones I have except for that one pair).

Indeed, it's always hard to tell without ABing. I'm glad you've updated your impressions, some of these comments can really give new buyers the wrong idea and it just self-perpetuates.

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #755 of 1,544
I am a bit confused by your statement. Are you saying fiio f9s are not 8/10th the sound of the shure 846? (Not that we should be expecting that anyway)

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #756 of 1,544
Thanks a lot. I am already checking your site as I write this. Your reviews are among the most detailed ones that I have ever read. Kudos man. I haven't ever spent more than 30usd on an in ear. This is my first purchase at the 100 dollar mark.

One more thing. I have narrowed it down between magaosi k3 hd and fiio f9. Which one should I go for considering I like a balanced , detailed and natural sound with good thump and rumble in the low end.

Pay a bit more for the F9. Seems Magaosi has sold itself to a few different companies. I tried the Xpower branded version and its not bad bit the F9 is clearly better. I believe FIIO has will have better support and reputation also.

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #757 of 1,544
Pay a bit more for the F9. Seems Magaosi has sold itself to a few different companies. I tried the Xpower branded version and its not bad bit the F9 is clearly better. I believe FIIO has will have better support and reputation also.

There are a few derivatives of the K3 Pro but the HD is, to my knowledge, exclusive to Magaosi. It is a fair improvement over the original Pro model but it's also a bit more expensive.

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #758 of 1,544

lol... I love that feeling. I'll put the Shures away for a while, listen to something else exclusively until I start feeling like maybe these could step to the champ, then bust out the 846's to invariably put them in their place. It's like hearing them again for the first time. That doesn't mean that don't love my other earphones though. Sorry for the OT, I just found it funny to find someone else describing that experience.

I'll take it as a recommendation that the Fiio's can even create that effect. Doesn't happen with everything.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #759 of 1,544
There are a few derivatives of the K3 Pro but the HD is, to my knowledge, exclusive to Magaosi. It is a fair improvement over the original Pro model but it's also a bit more expensive.
Interesting information. I may find the chance to give the actual K3 HDs a try but really trying not to throw money around. I still find what they're doing with the K3 Pro, for lack of better word, sketchy. The K3 HD was what I was looking to buy originally too over the past 2 months until I learned of FIIO's F9. At the very least, I can come to this thread for assistance from James if anything does go terribly wrong. Here's the link for the XPower version of the K3 Pro by the way, doesn't look appetizing at all:

http://xpower.com.hk/-預訂-xpower-smm3-pro-mmcx三單元耳機套裝

Also theres some Audbos K3 Pro HD variant too which I can't tell if its just the Magaosi Pro or the HD (should be Pro since its triple hybrid driver):

https://www.mtmtshop.com/products/audbos-k3-pro-hd-free-shipping

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #760 of 1,544
Interesting information. I may find the chance to give the actual K3 HDs a try but really trying not to throw money around. I still find what they're doing with the K3 Pro, for lack of better word, sketchy. The K3 HD was what I was looking to buy originally too over the past 2 months until I learned of FIIO's F9. At the very least, I can come to this thread for assistance from James if anything does go terribly wrong. Here's the link for the XPower version of the K3 Pro by the way, doesn't look appetizing at all:

http://xpower.com.hk/-預訂-xpower-smm3-pro-mmcx三單元耳機套裝

Also theres some Audbos K3 Pro HD variant too which I can't tell if its just the Magaosi Pro or the HD (should be Pro since its triple hybrid driver):

https://www.mtmtshop.com/products/audbos-k3-pro-hd-free-shipping

A bit of a headache indeed, Audbos and Magaosi are actually one company, Audbos distributes to different locations. The housing is generic so there is no shortage of models with the exact same look but different innards. I don't personally like the direction these manufacturers are heading but I do admire Fiio's use of in-house designed housings and parts and their customer support has been top notch for me, something I can't say about everyone. I've reviewed all of these models if you're curious how they stack up.

And a note for new buyers, if you're looking into any of these models, buy through a trusted retailer like Penon or the manufacturer's official Aliexpress store. The quality control can get pretty messy and you'll have a low chance of support otherwise.

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #761 of 1,544
I am a bit confused by your statement. Are you saying fiio f9s are not 8/10th the sound of the shure 846? (Not that we should be expecting that anyway)
That is exactly what I am saying. On their own the F9s sound really good. But slip in the 846s and the value of really good changes. The F9s make a very pleasant sound, the 846s just make a more pleasant universe. There is a lot more "there" there. You wouldn't guess that you are giving anything up until you learn what you are giving up. So if moneys tight, buy the F9s and don't try the 846s.

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #762 of 1,544
@FiiO I have just taken off my balanced cable for the first time to see how difficult they are to remove and I have to say I am really concerned that the cable could be damaged by this.

How strong is the shroud / termination of the cable?

Could pulling the cable break the termination? It certainly feels as if it could.

I have the original cables, neither of them have the collars (spacers) shown in yours photos.

My IEMs spin around freely on the cables, are they supposed to do this?
Could pulling the cable break the termination? Should not be break easily. But remember pulling the port instead of the cable.

The engineer also told us that the little spacer is a decoration which wouldn't affect the normal using of f9. But if this bother you a lot, maybe you would need contact your seller or send it back to us for replacement.
And yes the socket is rotatable.
Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 17, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #764 of 1,544
Guys! Hear me out please ! So i have 2 players, fiio x3 II and an ibasso dx80. My home headset is the DT-770 pro 80hm. My DT's are v-shaped with spikes on high's , thats why i can not hear them on my fiio x3II. It sound's harsh, the sound that i don't really like. But i absolutely love them with my DX80! And its because the DX80 is very soft on high side.
So today between the pinnacle p2 and fiio f9 i ordered the f9's... Should i expect the same balance/compensation between my DX80 and f9's ? Or should i order the P2 instead ?
That 7khz spike on f9's got me scared...

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #765 of 1,544
The new MMCX cable "grip."
2ro5if6.jpg
Looks effective. I’d prefer a graduated strain relief, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back