[FiiO EM5] Beryllium-coated Dynamic Driver Earbuds
Aug 17, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #17 of 305
Aug 17, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #19 of 305
@FiiO
Why beryllium *plated*? Why not just make a beryllium driver?
Why earbuds and not earphones for better seal?
And if you use such a rigid material for the diaphragm, why there is a need for the "ribs" around? (instead of a simpler, smoother design?)

Aug 17, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #20 of 305
Hmm, I'm quite curious myself, and there are certainly more expensive earbuds than $300, although only a handful.

Aug 17, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #21 of 305
I think $100 would be far more reasonable, even $150 if it sounds good enough. $300 is too much for an earbud, in my personal opinion.

Aug 17, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #23 of 305
Very cool and interesting design. Glad the earbud gang is getting a new toy and Beryllium is absolutely the best material for a dynamic driver and it really isn't close. Still, $300, no MMCX connector at the housing all while DUNU already has a what seems to be a very stellar headphone in the DK-2001 that has a Beryllium dynamic AND 3 Knowles BAs inside it and is built like a tank out of metal with MMCX at the housing. I get that its not an earbud, but most people that are into all this stuff are into quite a few different form factors. This just feels way too high a price for what is a niche of a niche category that is earbuds vs. iems.

Aug 17, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #24 of 305
Guys ear buds and IEM both achieve the same thing, but via a different path.
There are a reason why earbuds are still popular as they are the closet thing to headphone, in a portable format.

Now days when I'm at home or in the office, I use earbuds far more often than my IEM.

Thank you Fiio, I can't wait to try it when they are released.

Aug 17, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 305
HiFiGo pre-order is showing $299.99 with an early August ship date - https://hifigo.com/products/fiio-em5

fiio-em5-flagship-flat-in-ear-earphones-beryllium-plated-dynamic-driver-hifigo-167419_696x776.jpg

fiio-em5-flagship-flat-in-ear-earphones-beryllium-plated-dynamic-driver-hifigo-516826_695x776.jpg

a540f13d9cfe94b6e0ae5961a4f141b4.jpg

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #26 of 305
Guys ear buds and IEM both achieve the same thing, but via a different path.
There are a reason why earbuds are still popular as they are the closet thing to headphone, in a portable format.

Now days when I'm at home or in the office, I use earbuds far more often than my IEM.

Thank you Fiio, I can't wait to try it when they are released.

I get that for sure as I have a decent collection of earbuds as well. The problem for me was the inability to fit anything other than a standard PK shell comfortably into my ear. Also, having now heard newer dynamic driver IEMs like the Final Audio E5000 and the Flares Pro 2 HD, these actually sound significantly better than any earbud I have used or owned--their sound is easily as large, and decays nicely, and they fit literally everyone's ears. IEMs have come quite a long way from the old RE0 days. I agree that there is still a market for earbuds, no question (don't always want the isolation either)--but when its time to drop $300+ on another piece of hi-fi equipment, when you just look objectively at what this offers versus what is available currently for IEMs, I'm just not seeing it.

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #27 of 305
At $300, fiio should take some cues from Moondrop Chaconne, Liebesleid, K's Bell Ti, Ucotech ESP-1 etc. There is a market for "high end" earbuds contrary to people thinking that they're "old fashioned" or don't sound as good but for that price and all you get is a resin 3d printed housing and Beryllium Driver? Pretty sure most if not all on that list would equal if not surpass the SQ of the em5.

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #28 of 305
Aug 17, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #30 of 305
Everytime I come back to headfi I'm immediately reminded how much the headphone industry takes advantage of people lol. Aside from the driver which probably costs little to make, the housing looks like those $3 ear buds at the cash registers at walmart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back