[FiiO EM5] Beryllium-coated Dynamic Driver Earbuds
Aug 24, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #79 of 305
3320131.jpg

A lot of people say the moment when FiiO's beryllium-plated dynamic driver open earbuds, the EM5 was released, they just cannot help holding their breath. The all-new exterior style, strong configuration as well as outstanding sound performance keep reminding one it is time to change their music partner.

Now let's take a deep look at the gorgeous specifics of the EM5.

· 14.2mm beryllium-plated dynamic driver: Allow for thunderous yet lightning quick, responsive and dynamic sound performance.

· Bass-enhancing acoustic flute design: Ensure well-extended, well-textured, and plentiful bass.

· High-purity sterling silver cable: Minimize loss of audio details, allow for gobs of details to come through.

· 4th gen DLP 3D printing technology: Allow for a uniquely seamless design.

· Twist-lock swappable plug: Able to switch between 2.5mm/3.5mm/4.4mm heads to cover a wide range of scenarios.

· Transparent skin-friendly resin: Durable glossy resin, not prone to color fading.

· Copious accessories set: Bass foam ear tips, treble foam ear tips, balanced foam ear tips, a leather carrying case HB3...

In the name of music, this new music partner is bound to bring you amazingly unforgettable summer memories.

To find out more about the EM5, please visit the product page on https://www.fiio.com/em5

If you couldn't find it from your local distributor, please visit here at our Aliexpress store: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001308929873.html

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 31, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #80 of 305
The EM5 has wonderful aesthetics and a pleasant sound. They're still burning in but the initial sound impressions are positive. Warm, round bass with a clear treble and a big stage. My favourite foams are the crisp treble foams which really bring the details out while keeping the bass controlled. More listening will come, but for now please enjoy some pics. Goes without saying this is a huuuuge leap above their previous EM3 buds.

20200828_182446.jpg20200828_182423.jpg20200828_182350.jpg20200828_182249.jpg

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #81 of 305
The EM5 has wonderful aesthetics and a pleasant sound. They're still burning in but the initial sound impressions are positive. Warm, round bass with a clear treble and a big stage. My favourite foams are the crisp treble foams which really bring the details out while keeping the bass controlled. More listening will come, but for now please enjoy some pics. Goes without saying this is a huuuuge leap above their previous EM3 buds.

Thanks for the impressions.
The big question is..do they sound like $300 earbuds?

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #82 of 305
Thanks for the impressions.
The big question is..do they sound like $300 earbuds?
I'm not that into buds, but FWIW comparing the EM5 with their new IEM FA9, I prefer the former. So yeah, worth every penny in my books.

Do read the EM5 story posted by James in the other thread. They're not making this for profit.

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #83 of 305
I'm not that into buds, but FWIW comparing the EM5 with their new IEM FA9, I prefer the former. So yeah, worth every penny in my books.

Do read the EM5 story posted by James in the other thread. They're not making this for profit.
Nice to hear that it sounds better than FA9. I am not much of an IEM guy, I like full size open back headphones and earbuds rather. I tried many earbuds including the VE Zens, they sound almost like a full size headphones but the fit was an issue for me.
EM5 seems to be a better design than the Zens, so if EM5 sounds anything better than Zens I am definitely going to get one.
But one thing I can't get over the fact that in 2020 at $300 no detachable cable is a big CON.

Sep 2, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #84 of 305
Nice to hear that it sounds better than FA9. I am not much of an IEM guy, I like full size open back headphones and earbuds rather. I tried many earbuds including the VE Zens, they sound almost like a full size headphones but the fit was an issue for me.
EM5 seems to be a better design than the Zens, so if EM5 sounds anything better than Zens I am definitely going to get one.
But one thing I can't get over the fact that in 2020 at $300 no detachable cable is a big CON.
I gotta agree. Doesn't bode well for longevity of the EM5, knowing full well the price.

Having said that, I've read somewhere in VE's Facebook posts that the MMCX connectors altered the sound of Sun, so they withdrew the MMCX version from release. I'm trying to look at the sunny side of things here, maybe FiiO made their decisions on the best interests of sound quality.

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #85 of 305
I gotta agree. Doesn't bode well for longevity of the EM5, knowing full well the price.

Having said that, I've read somewhere in VE's Facebook posts that the MMCX connectors altered the sound of Sun, so they withdrew the MMCX version from release. I'm trying to look at the sunny side of things here, maybe FiiO made their decisions on the best interests of sound quality.
If I understand the backstory of the EM5 correctly, fixed cables was a choice made based on sound and size/weight, the MMCX connectors adding bulk to otherwise very light earbuds. As for longevity, the EM5 come with a $160 cable if it were to be sold separately, which I hope is an indication of its durability as well. I am looking forward to getting the EM5 over soon so I can see for myself and compare to the Lyra Collection I have been using for the past couple of years.

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #86 of 305

If I understand the backstory of the EM5 correctly, fixed cables was a choice made based on sound and size/weight, the MMCX connectors adding bulk to otherwise very light earbuds. As for longevity, the EM5 come with a $160 cable if it were to be sold separately, which I hope is an indication of its durability as well. I am looking forward to getting the EM5 over soon so I can see for myself and compare to the Lyra Collection I have been using for the past couple of years.
Makes sense, I will wait for your reviews.
FiiO is definitely changing their strategy these days, they are not including the kind of accessories they used include with their gear. FiiO is best known for their budget friendly devices, BTR5 is a perfect example.
Hope they don't lose their way.

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #87 of 305
Yup the EM5 wouldn't have this svelte profile if MMCX connectors were introduced, and I'm game if aesthetics are involved. I love the snaky silhouette it has haha.

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #88 of 305
Makes sense, I will wait for your reviews.
FiiO is definitely changing their strategy these days, they are not including the kind of accessories they used include with their gear. FiiO is best known for their budget friendly devices, BTR5 is a perfect example.
Hope they don't lose their way.
FiiO is expanding their scope and catering to all segments. The FD1 and FH3 are still budget-friendly, while EM5, FA9 and M15 quenches their thirst for innovation and pushing the envelope. AFAIK their IEMs are well-accessorized, with FA9 and even the older FH1/5/7 excellent examples of that. The EM5 has a nice case, switchable jacks and good variety of foams. Probably missing some ear-fins or silicon "donuts" for people with diverse preferences (VE shows the way for sheer variety), but for me what FiiO provided was adequate. Sometimes they have mis-steps too, like M15 missing a case out-of-the-box. Tardiness? Yeah, but not a deal-breaker.

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #90 of 305
FiiO is expanding their scope and catering to all segments. The FD1 and FH3 are still budget-friendly, while EM5, FA9 and M15 quenches their thirst for innovation and pushing the envelope. AFAIK their IEMs are well-accessorized, with FA9 and even the older FH1/5/7 excellent examples of that. The EM5 has a nice case, switchable jacks and good variety of foams. Probably missing some ear-fins or silicon "donuts" for people with diverse preferences (VE shows the way for sheer variety), but for me what FiiO provided was adequate. Sometimes they have mis-steps too, like M15 missing a case out-of-the-box. Tardiness? Yeah, but not a deal-breaker.
I was just referring to the accessories..F9 and FH1 came with balanced and single ended cables. FA9 comes only with single ended cable, they should have shipped with balanced cable and a single ended adapter.
M11 Pro did not come with even a soft case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back