FiiO EH3 NC - Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones
Nov 19, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #31 of 143
Got a pair on the way from Amazon...looking forward to having a decent sounding budget pair of BT/NC headphones. I only really travel a few times a year, so don’t need to use them that often so if I can find something for half the price of the big boys (or close to half), then I’ll be stoked.

Nov 19, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #32 of 143
Hmm, the more I listen to them, the more I enjoy them. I repeatedly catch myself using them without ANC, even outdoors. Seems that on the one hand, the sound isolation from the pads are sufficient in many typical sound environments, and on the other hand I prefer the really pleasing sound signature when ANC is off (again, across many different music genres).

EDIT: Listening to the album "Amber Rubarth - Sessions from the 17th Ward" in 24-96 FLAC via LDAC (optimized settings of course) and I can say, these were the best 155€ I've ever spent for audio equipment. The soundstage and detail these cans provide wirelessly (ANC off) is nothing less than jaw dropping! Sorry to be so over the top here... I'm just so excited :wink:

A question for you - can you confirm whether ANC is an option in 3.5 wired mode? It would be a shame if it were not possible to use them with a plane's in-flight entertainment.....

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #35 of 143
A question for you - can you confirm whether ANC is an option in 3.5 wired mode? It would be a shame if it were not possible to use them with a plane's in-flight entertainment.....

To answer your question right away, yes, you can have the EH3 NC 3.5 mm wired AND have ANC working! ....but:

1) You have to first switch the headphones on and then connect the 3.5mm wires. If you first hook the cans up with the wires, the EH3 NC won't swich on!
2) and this is just a first experience/guess of mine: since you are not establishing a successful Bluetooth connection between a source device and the headphones (because you dont need/want it in wired mode anyway), my EH3 NC switched completely off after 5 minutes (which was the idle time I set in the app when there is no Bluetooth connection)!! Nevertheless, the audio in the Youtube video I was playing of course continued to be audible due to the wired connection, but the ANC was of course gone.

So, that was quite some learning...

EDIT: You can permanently switch OFF the idle time mode when you move the slider in the FiiO Music App to the very left! In that case, the headphones don't switch off at all and ...there you go! :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #36 of 143
To answer your question right away, yes, you can have the EH3 NC 3.5 mm wired AND have ANC working! ....but:

1) You have to first switch the headphones on and then connect the 3.5mm wires. If you first hook the cans up with the wires, the EH3 NC won't swich on!
2) and this is just a first experience/guess of mine: since you are not establishing a successful Bluetooth connection between a source device and the headphones (because you dont need/want it in wired mode anyway), my EH3 NC switched completely off after 5 minutes (which was the idle time I set in the app when there is no Bluetooth connection)!! Nevertheless, the audio in the Youtube video I was playing of course continued to be audible due to the wired connection, but the ANC was of course gone.

So, that was quite some learning...

EDIT: You can permanently switch OFF the idle time mode when you move the slider in the FiiO Music App to the very left! In that case, the headphones don't switch off at all and ...there you go! :wink:

Awesome, thanks so much!!

Nov 19, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #37 of 143
Got a pair on the way from Amazon...looking forward to having a decent sounding budget pair of BT/NC headphones. I only really travel a few times a year, so don’t need to use them that often so if I can find something for half the price of the big boys (or close to half), then I’ll be stoked.
Keep us posted please

Nov 20, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #39 of 143
Got my EH3s today. 2 things:

1. They sound absolutely fantastic w/ NC off and just running the music off my phone (google music).
2. Soon as I turn NC on, they turn to crap. I sincerely hope something is defective because it completely removes all bass from the right ear and muffles the entire left side. The clarity and bass when it's off is completely gone and it's a mess. I really think I got a defective pair because there is literally no way this passed QC.

Replacement on the way from Amazon to see if I'm correct. If not, there's literally no way I'd recommend this headphone to anyone that wants to turn NC on.

All that said, really nicely built, great accessory package and really comfy. They are quite a bit heavier than my other NC set (XB900N) so the comfort probably won't be as good long term but the cups are big and spacious and the pads are really soft and comfy even w/ glasses.

I do not like long pressing the volume buttons to advance/go back tracks...it should be the standard double and triple press of the center button. Just my preference.

So yeah, we'll see if the replacement doesn't have the issue with the NC and we'll go from there. Right now...wait.

Nov 20, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #40 of 143
Got my EH3s today. 2 things:

1. They sound absolutely fantastic w/ NC off and just running the music off my phone (google music).
2. Soon as I turn NC on, they turn to ***. I sincerely hope something is defective because it completely removes all bass from the right ear and muffles the entire left side. The clarity and bass when it's off is completely gone and it's a mess. I really think I got a defective pair because there is literally no way this passed QC.

Replacement on the way from Amazon to see if I'm correct. If not, there's literally no way I'd recommend this headphone to anyone that wants to turn NC on.

All that said, really nicely built, great accessory package and really comfy. They are quite a bit heavier than my other NC set (XB900N) so the comfort probably won't be as good long term but the cups are big and spacious and the pads are really soft and comfy even w/ glasses.

I do not like long pressing the volume buttons to advance/go back tracks...it should be the standard double and triple press of the center button. Just my preference.

So yeah, we'll see if the replacement doesn't have the issue with the NC and we'll go from there. Right now...wait.

Sorry to hear that, you must have been so disappointed. Hope that it was just a defect but still sorry that this was your experience.

Nov 20, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #41 of 143
Sorry to hear that, you must have been so disappointed. Hope that it was just a defect but still sorry that this was your experience.

Yeah, hopefully it's just a defect because when the electronics for the NC aren't on, they sound fantastic and they are comfy. All you can really ask for, as long as the NC works as it should once I get my replacements. There is definitely something wrong with this pair.

Nov 21, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #42 of 143
Is normal for BT headphones have small hiss when are active ? For exmaple when i play music on spotify but i set volume to zero and I can hear small noise,hiss in background. On EH3 NC i have this problem with BT or USB connection. When i use them wired sound is clean. I tried newest firmware, but i still have problem. Maybe my ears are too sensitive...

BTW with NC turn on sound is weird, but when i used them when i traveling by train they were prety great. My problem with ANC was hiss,waterfall sound in background - but much louder than hiss with ANC off. I wrote question to Fiio on aliexpress and i got respond : " ANC technology is canceling the noise by sending out sound waves of reverse noise. Therefore, when the noise reduction function is turned on, the sound quality will be affected. In a quiet environment, you don't need to turn on the noise reduction function of the headphone."

Nov 21, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #43 of 143
Is normal for BT headphones have small hiss when are active?

It's normal, tho the better and more expensive headphones seem to do it less. There has to be some hiss or else the NC wouldn't be working...so a little is normal when NC is on. I mean bluetooth headphones in general seem to all have a little of it...just from the connection, but the better headphones usually have less.

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #44 of 143
Is normal for BT headphones have small hiss when are active ? For exmaple when i play music on spotify but i set volume to zero and I can hear small noise,hiss in background. On EH3 NC i have this problem with BT or USB connection. When i use them wired sound is clean. I tried newest firmware, but i still have problem. Maybe my ears are too sensitive...

BTW with NC turn on sound is weird, but when i used them when i traveling by train they were prety great. My problem with ANC was hiss,waterfall sound in background - but much louder than hiss with ANC off. I wrote question to Fiio on aliexpress and i got respond : " ANC technology is canceling the noise by sending out sound waves of reverse noise. Therefore, when the noise reduction function is turned on, the sound quality will be affected. In a quiet environment, you don't need to turn on the noise reduction function of the headphone."

The hiss was something I noticed with the Dali IO6 too. PX7s didn't have it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back