FiiO E9i Desktop Pre-Amp and Headphone Amplifier Dock for iPod and iPhone
May 11, 2011 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sandaz93

Head-Fier
Hi,
             I was wonderin how well sound quality would improve by using this amp. I am using a Sennheiser IE6, Sennheiser HD280, and a  computer with the stock sound card. I plan to use an Ipod Touch 4th generation. Also, would I plug in an auxillary wire into my computer headphone port and connect that to the amp?

Sorry for the noobish questions

This is the amp:

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E9i-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B004QVMFXE/ref=pd_ybh_11?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DV8ES41HPR2EJF8X0DZ 

May 11, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 9
Wait, what, I never even knew this was out yet.  Interesting. :p

Honestly, I think it's better to just get a normal E9 and a LOD to connect it to the iPod with.  This way you'd be able to get the E7 and use it as a DAC in the future if you ever felt the need to.  You shouldn't be plugging it into the computer with the headphone output port though, it'll probably sound pretty awful.  If there's a line-out on the PC you should probably use that.  Otherwise I'd recommend you get something like the E7+E9 combo to use the DAC with.

You probably wouldn't notice any difference with your IEMs but you might with the full-sized headphones.  Not sure how well they respond to amping though.

May 29, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Wait, what, I never even knew this was out yet.  Interesting. :p

Honestly, I think it's better to just get a normal E9 and a LOD to connect it to the iPod with.  This way you'd be able to get the E7 and use it as a DAC in the future if you ever felt the need to.  You shouldn't be plugging it into the computer with the headphone output port though, it'll probably sound pretty awful.  If there's a line-out on the PC you should probably use that.  Otherwise I'd recommend you get something like the E7+E9 combo to use the DAC with.

You probably wouldn't notice any difference with your IEMs but you might with the full-sized headphones.  Not sure how well they respond to amping though.

What do you mean by lineout?

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
What do you mean by lineout?

Line out is when you bypass the built-in amp, basically. 
For e.g. what the E9i seems to do is bypass the iPod's amp, so that volume control is disabled on the iPod and fully dependent on the E9i. The idea is that built-in amps aren't as good as dedicated ones (like the E9i), since it is assumed that there must be a trade-off in quality, for the sake of keeping costs/device size down.

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 9
It would probably help but your phones are all pretty easy to power and the e9 has lots of power - considereing you're also using your soundcard you may get at least as much effect from a DAC.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 9
Sorry for going slightly off topic, but I'm pretty much confused on how the USB connection works. So basically I can sync my iPod with a laptop through connection of the Fiio E9i? Or is the USB for another purpose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back