FiiO E9 Pairing with E17 or E10?
Jul 4, 2012 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Volarious

New Head-Fier
So I currently have a E9 amp sitting next to my computer, powering both my trusty HD580 and HD25-1 II, with desktop computer. The computer has a decent sound card (HT Omega Stryker 7.1), but obviously its no Xonar.

Now here's my dilemma: should I pair my E9 with cheap but excellent E10 (use it as DAC), or E17 (not as cheap but can be used separately for my tablet/notebook/phone)? Which one is a better DAC, E10 or E17? Portability of DAC/Amp is not vital - phone + HD25 is often times "good enough", no need to clutter more stuff while traveling to lessen the portability and convenience.

Or, should I just sell E9 and get some sort of hybrid DAC+AMP? My absolute budget is $150, but if getting new DAC+AMP I would just sell the E9 first, so a bit more cash on top of the $150. I do like the E9 because it comes with TWO headphone sockets, allowing me to switch around headphones easily with different music. If I'm getting a new DAC+Amp, I'd like to have two headphone sockets. Not mandatory of course, but it is very convenient.

Or, should I just buy a Xonar DG and save some money? The reason I don't really want to change sound card is because with the E9 and Stryker 7.1, on higher volumes I can hear "hissing", probably due to bad shielding of sort. Not sure if Xonar will be subjected to the same noise...

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
So I currently have a E9 amp sitting next to my computer, powering both my trusty HD580 and HD25-1 II, with desktop computer. The computer has a decent sound card (HT Omega Stryker 7.1), but obviously its no Xonar.

Now here's my dilemma: should I pair my E9 with cheap but excellent E10 (use it as DAC), or E17 (not as cheap but can be used separately for my tablet/notebook/phone)? Which one is a better DAC, E10 or E17? Portability of DAC/Amp is not vital - phone + HD25 is often times "good enough", no need to clutter more stuff while traveling to lessen the portability and convenience.

Or, should I just sell E9 and get some sort of hybrid DAC+AMP? My absolute budget is $150, but if getting new DAC+AMP I would just sell the E9 first, so a bit more cash on top of the $150. I do like the E9 because it comes with TWO headphone sockets, allowing me to switch around headphones easily with different music. If I'm getting a new DAC+Amp, I'd like to have two headphone sockets. Not mandatory of course, but it is very convenient.

Or, should I just buy a Xonar DG and save some money? The reason I don't really want to change sound card is because with the E9 and Stryker 7.1, on higher volumes I can hear "hissing", probably due to bad shielding of sort. Not sure if Xonar will be subjected to the same noise...

Any advice would be appreciated :)

The HT Omega Stryker 7.1 uses close to the same audio processors as the Xonar Essence STX & ST.
Using the E10 just for a DAC with the E9, seems like a waste, but the E17 plugs into the top of the E9.
I think the E10 and E17 use the same DAC chip, the Wolfson WM8740?.
As the HT Omega Stryker 7.1 comes with a S/PDIF Coaxial output, get a nice DAC with a coaxial input.
On eBay, they sell the SMSL SD-1955 DAC for around $100.

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
The HT Omega Stryker 7.1 uses close to the same audio processors as the Xonar Essence STX & ST.
Using the E10 just for a DAC with the E9, seems like a waste, but the E17 plugs into the top of the E9.
I think the E10 and E17 use the same DAC chip, the Wolfson WM8740?.
As the HT Omega Stryker 7.1 comes with a S/PDIF Coaxial output, get a nice DAC with a coaxial input.
On eBay, they sell the SMSL SD-1955 DAC for around $100.

Ah, I did not realize the sound card is actually a half decent one.

I'll look into the SMAL SD-1955, but I can't seem to find much info on this particular DAC on Head Fi.
Any other suggestions that ships from USA?

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Ah, I did not realize the sound card is actually a half decent one.
I'll look into the SMAL SD-1955, but I can't seem to find much info on this particular DAC on Head Fi.
Any other suggestions that ships from USA?

Check the C-Media's website for the latest drivers for the Stryker's CMI8770 audio processor.
Make sure setting on the Stryker are "maxed out", never know what you might have missed.

Schiit Bifrost DAC $350, Made in the USA, using Made in the USA parts.

No info on that stuff that comes out of China/Hong Kong.
But for $100, the price it right.

Jul 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Check the C-Media's website for the latest drivers for the Stryker's CMI8770 audio processor.
Make sure setting on the Stryker are "maxed out", never know what you might have missed.

Schiit Bifrost DAC $350, Made in the USA, using Made in the USA parts.

No info on that stuff that comes out of China/Hong Kong.
But for $100, the price it right.

Got the new driver, but didn't notice any sound improvement. Oh well, looks like I have to buy a DAC and see if I can tell the difference.
Schiit Bitfrost is a bit over my budget, but I guess that's the cost of buying American made goods. Any other well known brand that has US distribution locations to allow for easy repair/replacement?

How much difference will the SD-1955 chip make compared to the CMI8770 chip? Very noticeable? Minor upgrade? And compared to the E10/E17 Wolfson WM8740 chip? Sorry for these newbie questions...completely new to the world of DAC.

Last question, although related to E9 amp: since its impedance is quite high (I believe 8-10 ohms?), should I even use the Amperior (18 ohms) with it? Is it possible to get a WORSE sound than unamped because of the impedance mismatch?

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Got the new driver, but didn't notice any sound improvement. Oh well, looks like I have to buy a DAC and see if I can tell the difference.
Schiit Bitfrost is a bit over my budget, but I guess that's the cost of buying American made goods. Any other well known brand that has US distribution locations to allow for easy repair/replacement?

How much difference will the SD-1955 chip make compared to the CMI8770 chip? Very noticeable? Minor upgrade? And compared to the E10/E17 Wolfson WM8740 chip? Sorry for these newbie questions...completely new to the world of DAC.

Last question, although related to E9 amp: since its impedance is quite high (I believe 8-10 ohms?), should I even use the Amperior (18 ohms) with it? Is it possible to get a WORSE sound than unamped because of the impedance mismatch?

The SD1955 is a DAC, the CMI87700 is an audio processor.
Can't find the listing for the Strykers DAC chip, but I'm sure the SD1955 is better then the Stryker's
I'm going to "guess" the SD1955 is better then the Wolfson WM8740.

What is the Amperior?

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
The SD1955 is a DAC, the CMI87700 is an audio processor.
Can't find the listing for the Strykers DAC chip, but I'm sure the SD1955 is better then the Stryker's
I'm going to "guess" the SD1955 is better then the Wolfson WM8740.

What is the Amperior?

Ah, thanks for the clarification on the chipsets; very informative.
Amperior is another minor revision of Sennheiser's HD25-1 II, with aluminum cup and some minor color changes. Oh, the impedance goes from 70 ohms to 18 ohms to better serve mobile players.

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Ah, thanks for the clarification on the chipsets; very informative.
Amperior is another minor revision of Sennheiser's HD25-1 II, with aluminum cup and some minor color changes. Oh, the impedance goes from 70 ohms to 18 ohms to better serve mobile players.

I'm guessing the Amperior would not sound well with the E9, I'm guessing the Amperior would not sound good hooked up to any computer sound card either.
I would assume the Amperior would do well with portable audio devices.
Also a portable headphone amplifier with it's low impedance would be work, but as Amperior is only 18-Ohms, it should not need an add-on amplifier anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back