Fiio E9, enough for the HD 800's?
Mar 16, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #63 of 94
Hi all!

I received the E9 yesterday and thus just got a few hours with it.

My first impression with E9+E7 is that the sound is very transparent (no colorization of the sound), but unfortunately also very bright. At least for my preferences, thus this setting was not really for my ears.

Though for topic question: "Fiio E9, enough for the HD 800's?", I would say that E9 has enough power to drive the HD800 without any problem. The volume knob has not even been turn over the middle point before the sound starts to get too loud for my ears.

Prior to E9, I really did have problem to feed my HD800 enough with power, but now the this issue seems to be solved. I suspected that the DAC (E7) was the main issue to get the sound the way I wanted it, so I started to experiment it with an alternative DAC.

I now use my Soundblaster Audigy 4 Pro as a "DAC" and use the E9 as a standalone amp. For now I'm very satisfied with this setting. The sound is much more "livelier", and has the "punch" I needed.

To get it clear, I would say that I'm not a "bass head". But the E9+E7 combination is just too bright for me, there is no "fun" in listening with that system. The E9 as an amp is not bad at all taken its price into the consideration, but I would not recommend it with the use of E7.

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #64 of 94
The fiio E7/E9 isn't bright it's more likely the headphones are bright, i find the fiio combo very smooth and a bit soft sounding i completly agree there is no punch or livelyness and it can sound a bit dull, hopefully in the E17 the E7 replacement fiio will use a difference dac chip that won't sound so dull or soft.

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #65 of 94
THe Fiio E9 which was mention has machine op-amp socket, and you can always switch the op-amp out and roll to one which do better with your headphones or your ears. Tho that if you feel like opening it up to do so.

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #66 of 94

Quote:
The fiio E7/E9 isn't bright it's more likely the headphones are bright, i find the fiio combo very smooth and a bit soft sounding i completly agree there is no punch or livelyness and it can sound a bit dull, hopefully in the E17 the E7 replacement fiio will use a difference dac chip that won't sound so dull or soft.

Yeah, sorry for the lack of accuracy in the description above.

All the impressions was in relation with the use of HD800. Thus I meant the system (E7+E9) WITH the HD800 is too bright. I guess the fault is really on the headphones themselves and not the E7+E9 :)

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #67 of 94

Quote:
Hi all!

I received the E9 yesterday and thus just got a few hours with it.

My first impression with E9+E7 is that the sound is very transparent (no colorization of the sound), but unfortunately also very bright. At least for my preferences, thus this setting was not really for my ears.

Though for topic question: "Fiio E9, enough for the HD 800's?", I would say that E9 has enough power to drive the HD800 without any problem. The volume knob has not even been turn over the middle point before the sound starts to get too loud for my ears.

Prior to E9, I really did have problem to feed my HD800 enough with power, but now the this issue seems to be solved. I suspected that the DAC (E7) was the main issue to get the sound the way I wanted it, so I started to experiment it with an alternative DAC.

I now use my Soundblaster Audigy 4 Pro as a "DAC" and use the E9 as a standalone amp. For now I'm very satisfied with this setting. The sound is much more "livelier", and has the "punch" I needed.

To get it clear, I would say that I'm not a "bass head". But the E9+E7 combination is just too bright for me, there is no "fun" in listening with that system. The E9 as an amp is not bad at all taken its price into the consideration, but I would not recommend it with the use of E7.

Quote:

That's because that while a very nice little starter amp/source, the E7/E9 is simply not up to the task to PROPERLY drive the HD800s. Sorry, while the volume can go quite loud, that isn't an indication of how good an amp is at driving a particluar set of headphones....let alone the HD800s.

These cans deserve/need some really good amping and sources to reach their potential. Good example, with my iBasso D4 and MAD Ear+HD tube amp OR Concerto (total cost = $950ish), the HD800s sound quite good, but on my Cary Xciter DAC and WA2 (with a small fortune in upgraded tubes), the HD800s continue to give me more...more everything. Again, these are not the HD555s, you are at the summit of our hobby for headphones and you need to look upstream down the road.
smile.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #68 of 94
Quote:Originally Posted by MacedonianHero 

"That's because that while a very nice little starter amp/source, the E7/E9 is simply not up to the task to PROPERLY drive the HD800s. Sorry, while the volume can go quite loud, that isn't an indication of how good an amp is at driving a particluar set of headphones....let alone the HD800s.
These cans deserve/need some really good amping and sources to reach their potential. Good example, with my iBasso D4 and MAD Ear+HD tube amp OR Concerto (total cost = $950ish), the HD800s sound quite good, but on my Cary Xciter DAC and WA2 (with a small fortune in upgraded tubes), the HD800s continue to give me more...more everything. Again, these are not the HD555s, you are at the summit of our hobby for headphones and you need to look upstream down the road."

I absolutely agree. The HD800 is one component of an entire system. It's only as good as the weakest link. Guess what? The HD800 is the strongest link. The Fiio combo may be good for what it is, but isn't nearly enough to properly drive the Senn and bring out the best in it.

You can't reasonably expect to have a $1000+ headphone and think you can cheap out on the rest of the system. The Senn HD800 is not a budget system. If someone has $x.xx to spend on a headphone rig, expect to allocate the funds equally across the board. So if a budget is, hypothetically, $1000; $250 for the front end source, $250 for the DAC, $250 for the amp and $250 for the headphone is a well balanced system. Scale up and down as needed. It's not a rule etched in stone but a reasonable guideline.

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #69 of 94

Quote:

That's because that while a very nice little starter amp/source, the E7/E9 is simply not up to the task to PROPERLY drive the HD800s. Sorry, while the volume can go quite loud, that isn't an indication of how good an amp is at driving a particluar set of headphones....let alone the HD800s.

These cans deserve/need some really good amping and sources to reach their potential. Good example, with my iBasso D4 and MAD Ear+HD tube amp OR Concerto (total cost = $950ish), the HD800s sound quite good, but on my Cary Xciter DAC and WA2 (with a small fortune in upgraded tubes), the HD800s continue to give me more...more everything. Again, these are not the HD555s, you are at the summit of our hobby for headphones and you need to look upstream down the road.
smile.gif

He did say changing the DAC makes a positive difference, so the E9 itself should do fine for driving the HD 800 - at least from what I've read...

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #70 of 94

Quote:
He did say changing the DAC makes a positive difference, so the E9 itself should do fine for driving the HD 800 - at least from what I've read...

Please re-read my post....I have heard the E9 and there is no way I would consider this as acceptable with the HD800s. Trust me, the HD800s sound SO MUCH better than the folks at FiiO would otherwise have you believe.
wink.gif

There's positive over a PC sound card and then there is "summit level" audio, and the HD800s deserve "summit level" DAC/AMP/source material.

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #71 of 94
i think with the influx of ppl saying that there are "slight" differences beteween amps has made every think that a 200$ system is going to sound good... and i suppose it could sound good but youre not going to get the most or even near the most out of a headphone like the hd800.  if your budget is 1400$ and you go for the fiio set and an hd800, then thats up to you. 

can my laptop run video games? yes.  if i didnt see any better, i may feel that its good enough or good even.  will my desktop be better? of course a ton better.  will a new computer be even better? yes it would but the difference will not be as big as the jump from a laptop to my desktop but i  will appreciate the differences, slight as they may be.

dont get me wrong, everyone has their point of diminishing returns and of course everyone has their own views but to say that the fiio drives the hd800 to its abilities is false. 

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #72 of 94
Just a theoretical question, many people agree that the HD800 deserve better source and amp. And most people also argument this fact by emphasize how expensive the HD800 is, and how cheap the E9 is. If we set aside those monetary terms, what other facts is there?

Do not get me wrong, I´m just a beginner, and thus have no experience with expensive audio systems. I can hence not make any comparisons.
I just want to understand what experienced people mean, when they say that an amp (of any kind and not E9 in particular) does not properly drive a headphone (again any kind of headphones).

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #74 of 94

Quote:
Please re-read my post....I have heard the E9 and there is no way I would consider this as acceptable with the HD800s. Trust me, the HD800s sound SO MUCH better than the folks at FiiO would otherwise have you believe.
wink.gif

There's positive over a PC sound card and then there is "summit level" audio, and the HD800s deserve "summit level" DAC/AMP/source material.

I don't know how the E9 sounds but I know how the HD 800 sounds with a higher end system and since I'm not very happy with my not-so-high-end stuff right now (mids are kind of cold and a little grainy) I'm in kind of a hurry to get something better, thought the E9 would do for a while. I was wrong then so it seems :p Will have to look for another amp/dac setup... 

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #75 of 94

Users who are viewing this thread

Back