Fiio e9+e7 or Nuforce HDP?
Jan 20, 2011 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Gorgatron

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, so if you check my signature, it will show the two pairs of headphones I have now and the pairs I really want. This will be my first amp. If you guys think the Nuforce is worth it (I don't mind spending that much if it's a worthy investment) then I will proceed with that. Otherwise convince me the e7+e9 combo if you feel its necessary for a beginner amp combo.

About the Sennheisers, I want to wait will I try these out before I get my next pair. One of my friend's dad can get sennheisers at a discount from his work so I may jump on that if I get a good deal on the 600's.

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 18
If you are considering the Icon HDP, you should also look at the Icon HD. It is identical to the HDP but with a few less inputs/features. It's basically a stripped down version for people who want the HDP's quality without it's situationally unnecessary features. Also, it is always sold for at least $100 less than the HDP. 

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 18

Yes I saw that. What is the pre-amp function for? I would just want to use this for my desktop/laptop at most.
Quote:
If you are considering the Icon HDP, you should also look at the Icon HD. It is identical to the HDP but with a few less inputs/features. It's basically a stripped down version for people who want the HDP's quality without it's situationally unnecessary features. Also, it is always sold for at least $100 less than the HDP. 

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
Yes I saw that. What is the pre-amp function for? I would just want to use this for my desktop/laptop at most.

The preamp function would be used most likely with active monitors(self powered/amped speakers) or a speaker amp. This allows the volume on the HDP to control the volume for those options.

As already said, the preamp might be unnecessary but you never know. Active monitors could be in your future.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 18
Ever since I've gotten my ad700 I have fallen in love with headphones. I still live with my parents for college anyways. So I do not see myself getting speakers in the near future. I do have a TV and a Xbox 360 btw, not sure if the preamp would be of use for this. Like I said my main reason for wanting this is for my desktop/laptop to use my headphones on.

Quote:
Quote:

The preamp function would be used most likely with active monitors(self powered/amped speakers) or a speaker amp. This allows the volume on the HDP to control the volume for those options.

As already said, the preamp might be unnecessary but you never know. Active monitors could be in your future.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 18
I just bought an HDP from Crutchfield.  Should be here on Tuesday.  Sit tight, as I already own the E7+E9 AND the M50's...so I will be able to give you hopefully a very meaningful critique of which is better and whether the Icon HDP proves to be a notable step up.

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 18
I personally had the AD700 and HDP, there is no real no noticeable improvement but it's a different story for higher end headphones. In my experience, the AD700 doesn't benefit from amping at all

Quote:
Ever since I've gotten my ad700 I have fallen in love with headphones. I still live with my parents for college anyways. So I do not see myself getting speakers in the near future. I do have a TV and a Xbox 360 btw, not sure if the preamp would be of use for this. Like I said my main reason for wanting this is for my desktop/laptop to use my headphones on.

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 18
I don't have any experience with the e9+e7 but I did purchase the HDP recently and feel that it's a better purchase because you'd less likely feel the upgrade itch with it, and overall its a cleaner set up (1 fewer item on the desk).

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 18
OK! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this product.

Quote:
I just bought an HDP from Crutchfield.  Should be here on Tuesday.  Sit tight, as I already own the E7+E9 AND the M50's...so I will be able to give you hopefully a very meaningful critique of which is better and whether the Icon HDP proves to be a notable step up.

So I've heard. I do want the beyerdynamic DT 990, and possibly the denon D2000 atm. What do you think? For the 990 should I get the 250 or 600 ohm version? On B&H photo its a $60 difference.

Quote:
I personally had the AD700 and HDP, there is no real no noticeable improvement but it's a different story for higher end headphones. In my experience, the AD700 doesn't benefit from amping at all

Quote:

Yeah I kinda agree. I'm just looking to see my options, I don't mind spending $100 or so more on a better amp+dac combo, plus I like the style and looks of the Icon HD / HDP

Quote:
I don't have any experience with the e9+e7 but I did purchase the HDP recently and feel that it's a better purchase because you'd less likely feel the upgrade itch with it, and overall its a cleaner set up (1 fewer item on the desk).

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 18
@ gorgatron:
for switzerland, maybe cheaper in the states or elsewhere...

nuforce hdp: up to 600$
fiio e7 & e9-combo: up to 220$
--> IMO its a question of $$$! 
i have not heard any nuforce, but i guess hdp is very good in its price range..(silly phrase, i suppose...)

simply interest: what "discount" for senns hd600? got my new ones for 230$ from ebay...usually in switzerland it is sold around 360$...

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 18
I'm not sure I'm waiting for my friend to talk to his dad. Does anyone know the best price online so I can compare it when I found out?

Quote:
@ gorgatron:
for switzerland, maybe cheaper in the states or elsewhere...

nuforce hdp: up to 600$
fiio e7 & e9-combo: up to 220$
--> IMO its a question of $$$! 
i have not heard any nuforce, but i guess hdp is very good in its price range..(silly phrase, i suppose...)

simply interest: what "discount" for senns hd600? got my new ones for 230$ from ebay...usually in switzerland it is sold around 360$...

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 18
Thanks for the recommendation. However I am looking for a good DAC+AMP for me as a starter that could be under $300 if possible. So I'm leaning towards the e7+e9 at the moment.

Quote:
You should also look into the yulong d100 amp/dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back