FiiO e7 vs. Headroom Total Bit
Apr 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

stratowhammy

Head-Fier
I have a pair of Shure SRH840's that have a relatively low impedance (40 ohms) but I love their sound (really incredibly, better than the Beyer's I tried for the comparable price - 250 ohms). So, I've been thinking about getting a headphone amp to make full use of my new cans. I already have an FiiO e5 that I use with my iPod, and I've been doing research and the two DAC/headphone amp combos I've settled on are the FiiO e7 and the headroom Total Bit - with the FiiO e7 being half the price of the total bit. What I want to know is with the cans that I have will I notice a real difference between the two and also will the DAC function really improve the sound from my macbook? (I have read in other posts that the DAC is significantly better than most laptop DACs) Since the headphones are pretty low impedance comparatively, I don't really need an amp to make the sound louder, I just want an amp that will improve the clarity, improve the soundstage and greater separation. I must say, my Shure SRH840's are spectacular without a rig, and I'm wondering is it worth it to drop between $80 and $160 to get only moderate improvements or will the improvement be dramatic?

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 64
I would go with the bit head, because its a headroom product and its not fotm, its been popular/used for years. FiiO is fotm. My experience with e5 is it actually degrades the quality of your music.

In reality, I wouldn't choose either. I would go with an iBasso D2+, because the iBasso D2 sounds very good, and they are similar. Hopes this helps.

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 64
So, one of the reviews I read had a person saying that they did not notice a huge difference. I would like to believe I have pretty sensitive ears and can detect differences in sound, given my cans, would the iBasso D2 significantly improve my listening enjoyment?

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 64
So I have done some research regarding the DAC used in many other devices (including the iBasso, THANK YOU!!!) and I have more questions. I see that the Wolfson is a pretty high quality DAC, and I wanted to know which DAC is used in the e7 and how it compares to the Wolfson. (specifically what aspects of the sound signature are different). Also, I wanted to know (this may be off topic) what the benefits are to have a double dac as opposed to one single DAC.

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 64
Well I use the Shure SRH440 with gamma1 DAC and mini3 amp, which I noticed a huge improvement. To my ears the bass got boomy and deep, while the highs got clearer. Also, the soundstage improved and the music are a lot smoother too. Although the Shure SRH440 do not require an amp, it does improve with one and I'm sure with your SRH840, it would do the same.

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 64
Thanks for the reassurance that I'm not wasting my money. I wound up going for the e7 after everything was said and done, and here's why:
- the e7 has a wolfson DAC
- many people have said that they e7 is really great
- it has a rechargeable li-ion battery
- it has a sleep timer (I can see myself using this)
- its inexpensive

I was sooo close to buying the iBasso D2 recommended above, but it would have cost close to $200 after shipping. The e7 on the other hand was only $80. Despite the fact that the e5 is not the best piece of sound technology produced, many people have exclaimed that the e7 is pretty special, so I'm going to give it a try. The next amp I get is going to be REALLY nice, but until then, I will enjoy the e7. I'll post back once I get it, and share my experience.

May 7, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 64
The Fiio E7 is  using the same DAC as the iBasso D2+
Same ITPCM 2607 and Wolfson WM8740
So their DAC function may sounds the same
Now i am think to sell my iBasso D2 to buy a Fiio E7
Because the D2 always have bad connection and I think the EQ function of E7

May 10, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 64
Any feedback on the quality of the Fiio e7?  I am looking at getting the D-10, the matching micro dac for my hr micro amp (9v version), or possibly spending much more on the pico dac or other higher end dac.  Mostly I'm interested in the dac side of this piece of equipment, although I would probably use the amp from time to time.  I should be getting some AKG K702's soon, or I'll run a pair of RE0's off this amp if it doesn't do well enough for the 702's. 

May 10, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 64
hmm, I didn't notice that you couldn't use this as a dac only.  Oh well.

May 11, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #10 of 64

Quote:

It does have a dock output so i'm sure LOD would be possible.

May 11, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #11 of 64

Quote:
So, one of the reviews I read had a person saying that they did not notice a huge difference. I would like to believe I have pretty sensitive ears and can detect differences in sound, given my cans, would the iBasso D2 significantly improve my listening enjoyment?

I don't have very sensitive ears, amps and DACs give me a marginal improvement but it is not a drastic, day and night difference for me. These are subtle changes in the quality of the sound that you have to listen for. Your mileage may vary. The only way you will find out is to take the plunge. 

May 11, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #12 of 64

Quote:
So I have done some research regarding the DAC used in many other devices (including the iBasso, THANK YOU!!!) and I have more questions. I see that the Wolfson is a pretty high quality DAC, and I wanted to know which DAC is used in the e7 and how it compares to the Wolfson. (specifically what aspects of the sound signature are different). Also, I wanted to know (this may be off topic) what the benefits are to have a double dac as opposed to one single DAC.

I'm pretty sure the DAC inside the E7 is a Wolfson DAC. Not sure which model. Wolfson is a brand not a specific model, by the way. There are many models of Wolfson DACs. Cannot comment how the E7's Wolfson sounds like though, have not yet heard the E7.

As for multi DACs, the only unit I have heard with dual DACs is the Mamba. From my understanding it has two DACs per channel (left and right). This should allow each DAC to focus on each side explicitly, this probably results in less cross talk and thus you get better separation, imaging and soundstage. The logic is similar to having multi armatures in IEMs, I suppose.

In practice the Mamba was a lot better than my GoVibe Petite DAC/amp, and it had a wider soundstage. Although whether this was a result of the dual DACs or not, I cannot say.

May 11, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #13 of 64

Quote:

Yeah, unfortunately FiiO decided not to give the E7 line out functionality. They probably want to tie you up to their upcoming E9. Stupid really but that's big business for you.

May 11, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #14 of 64
Sorry, just wants to explain why we don't install the line out from 3.5mm socket!

Our target user is not only hi-fi'er, there are lots of our user is not so similar with what call line out, what call headphone out! for them, they will plug earphone to any socket that can be pluged!

that means they have big chance to plug an earphone into line out! as you know, The output signal from line out is constan! that will cause big problem, or the earphone is burn out! or the high

sound level will hurt the ear of our user!

For example, iPod, Zune, Sansa, Sony, none of them will install the line out to a 3.5mm socket in their portable device ! for us, maybe only one in thousand will have problem with such design, but

it means big big trouble for us!

BTW, that may be a little different between FiiO and others,  for us, the sound quality is not the only thing that we must take care! you may notice that all our products market with CE/FCC!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 11, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #15 of 64
TBH, the DAC chip isn't the most important thing when deciding to get a DAC or not, but actually how its implemented. Many DACs use the wolfson DAC. I owned the Pico, D10 and D2 all at the same time. All use the 4870 and all sounded significantly different. The Pico sounded the best, then the D10 and then the D2+. I have never thought FiiO's were a good product. Many people I feel trick them self into liking them, just because they like having gadgets and they are cheap. The products are cheap, and thats what they sound like. They look good. Thats fine. I would still go with a proven company. I am sure you will be happy either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back