FiiO E7: Unboxed Production, "OH SO SHINY" (56k warning!)
Jun 2, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #46 of 125
Yep, I can confirm that the E7 works well with the iPad.  The volume slider on the iPad has no effect on the E7's volume. There are some DACs out there where their users report that the iPad's volume slider affects the DAC's volume output.  Very curious.

Jack

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #47 of 125
Now I have one, I would echo very much what thers have said

I have just got my mits on one of these, which currently is in limited supply in the UK - 20 units initially, this is who I bought from... http://www.mp3amplifier.com/product_info.php/products_id/84?osCsid=a2b34fcjn5sdbanp0t5kldh223

Initially I pre-ordered at £55 but the price has gone up a little since then to £65 (GBP)

I recently purchased some AKG K271 headphones - mainly for home studio recording purposes, but I like the natural sound so much, I find I'm using them more and more around the house generally. My ipod touch struggles to drive these and this is my main portable source, usually paired with Atrio M5 IEMs.

I cannot claim to be a headphone amp expert and this was my first purchase of this type of equipment, so please bear that in mind as you read my comments!

I am sure there is much better equipment out there, but I would guess not at this price point

I was specifically looking for something portable and had settled upon the ibasso T3D until the RRP of this unit was announced. The ibasso was going to knock me back about £130 and as the E7 is also a USB DAC and came in at half the price it seemed well worth a punt. The ibasso price-wise, as I am sure you will all appreciate, is pretty much the thin end of the wedge in this area of gear!

The E7 unit is quite small, although not the smallest out there. it’s about twice as fat as my ipod touch, slightly less width and height. It is VERY light, but seems to be quite sturdy construction, only time will tell of course! Metal back and sides and a very glossy front which incorporates an OLED two-colour screen - looks very smart imho. I use it also with the Fiio LOD (L1)

First of all what about using with my Atrio M5 IEMs? At first I didn't notice much difference - these IEMs are really great, isolate well and have a good bass response. Having listened more critically since plugging them in I can say that the stereo width and sound separation has improved, although really the IEMs don't absolutely need amping I think I will continue to use them with the E7 in place. The volume level I;ve set to no more than 15. The E7 bass boost needs to be set on 0 or 1 at most, otherwise the sound does become quite muddy. It seems to me like the bass boost feature does not simply turn up the gain in the lower frequencies, but changes the sound profile, the balance of the mids/high's and to my ears this does not work well with these IEMs as you turn it up. There are 3 bass boost levels; setting to 3 reminds me of being at a bad 80s disco, bass pumping, with some DJ who has speakers twice the size of the dance floor that make you fall off your feet if you get within a few metres of them! Still as I said, bass set to no more than 1, sounds lurrrrrverly :)

Now for my AKG K271, which is really why I went for a headphone amp in the first place. Boy does this make then sing! I have been really impressed with the improvement in sound quality. The volume level I set in the 30-35 range. I turned up the bass boost to 2, but 3 is OK too if you like a little more. What hit me immediately was the punchy-ness of the bass, clear tight sounding drums and clean but mellow vocals (a little more towards the bright side). I flicked between a few different tracks on my ipod touch, hearing very similar things sound quality wise - a little Faithless had me sticking the cans on SWMBO and saying "you have to listen to this!". Listening to my own music recorded at home is way more satisfying as the sound now is more what I remember playing back through my PC DAW and m-audio interface

I dare say that the results I have had may have been the same using any other headphone amp, but at £55 I'm glad I didn't spend a lot more. The E7 easily meets my requirements and that's before I've plugged it into my laptop at work using the USB DAC. I will be very surprised if the E7 does not give some of the more expensive (and well known) headphone amps out there a run for their money - it will be interesting to see how well the unit does when it becomes more widely available and what comparative reviews against other units have to say about it.

It seems to me to have much more to offer than previous (very cheap) fiio offerings (like E3 and E5) and I would have thought will elevate fiio's position in the marketplace considerably

If I am being picky it would be nice to have some sort of screen dimming or even the ability to completely swicth off the OLED display whilst listening, as it is quite bright...however this is the only indication the unit is actually switched on.

USB charging can take place with the unit off, but I had to try this to find out, since there is no indication the unit is actually charging when it is off.

The key lock function seems largely redundant, seeing as the initial key press does not register in order to save you accidentally pressing the keys when its in your pocket. I have heard some reviews say the keys are a problem in this respect, but it is my understadning this is by design.

My only other issue is finding some nice portable case that my ipod touch and E7 can go into together and also bearing in mind the extra space needed for the LOD...but that is not a problem unique to the E7!!

the E7 "velvet" pouch is really only sufficient just for the E7...oh, and although not listed in the box contents, there is a silicone skin - just one black one though. as someone else said, this is making me think now I should get a black silicone skin for my ipod touch too.

I now am going to resurrect my old iriver H140 DAP, which has better sq than the ipod anyway, and use its built-in line out with the E7...

For the price I certainly recommend the E7, particularly if you do not already have a headphone amp. Some niggly things that firmware I guess would fix but I am impressed with it so far :)

HTH Chris

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #48 of 125
Also, I forgot to mention screws on the back of the E7 - they do protrude somewhat meaning the silicone skin is really needed to avoid scratching anything else you sit it on. For the future versions, recessed screws with optional small sticky rubber feet would be a good idea in my opinion.

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #49 of 125
Didn't notice the screws, but good call on that one. Rubber feet are easy to obtain, fortunately, though I prefer using the silicon case.

You're also right in that the E7 easily gives more expensive DAC/Amps a run for their money. Having had the Petite and the Boa prior, I would say the E7 compares to both quite well, and I liked the Petite and the Boa! And both are like twice as expensive, more I think. Granted the sound these different amps make are a little different. E7 is a rather laidback sound whereas Boa is clearer and crisper and the Petite is more forward and aggressive. But the E7's design and extra features really put it ahead of the pack for me (just love the dual headphone out and the bass boost options).

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #51 of 125
Not where I live. Over here it's really hard to find LODs for anything other than iPods.

Jun 5, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #52 of 125
It...so...big...but...so...pretty...

It makes all your Clips just look ugly and silly.
atsmile.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #54 of 125

[size=medium]
It's not that simple. The item will get held at customs and I will likely have to pay an astronomical fee to have them release -- a cost that will likely be more than the LOD itself. That's not even talking about the hassle of going to and dealing with a government office here.

I could go the JAC route or other methods but really it's more hassle than it's worth just so I can go and spend even more money buying a Walkman. So no, I rather stick to iPods. 
[/size]

Quote:
Worldwide shipping from eBay does not get to you?

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #55 of 125

Quote:

[size=medium]
It's not that simple. The item will get held at customs and I will likely have to pay an astronomical fee to have them release -- a cost that will likely be more than the LOD itself. That's not even talking about the hassle of going to and dealing with a government office here.

I could go the JAC route or other methods but really it's more hassle than it's worth just so I can go and spend even more money buying a Walkman. So no, I rather stick to iPods. 
[/size]

Astronomical customs for something worth $30?

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #56 of 125
Jun 6, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #57 of 125
I am not sure where Mochan is located, some countries are better than others, and its a game of chance, but even for the US, which is relatively low risk, things can go really wrong. The duty itself may not be that bad - I think it's around 5% for audio amplifiers coming into the US. But if the shipping carrier performs any kind of "entry" work, you'll get hit with a processing fee - DHL charges $25, for example. Using the post system is not a guarantee either, as I've personally experienced a case where a relatively cheap $200 used notebook computer get hit with a customs and entry fee charge even though it was marked with a very low value and as a "gift". 

Granted, however, majority of these products reach their destination without much issue.

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #58 of 125
is the E7 better than the ibasso T3 portable?

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #59 of 125
Wish I'd heard the T3 to compare, but I haven't.

BTW I'm located in the Philippines and the customs office here is just notorious, as are all our government agencies. They're a real pain and will often hold stuff just for the sake of it, and often just because they're inept and inefficient, or worse just want to make a quick buck off you. 

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #60 of 125
Strange. I can see the 2rooi13 guy buying all stuff all the time and he is located in Philippines.

Quote:
Wish I'd heard the T3 to compare, but I haven't.

BTW I'm located in the Philippines and the customs office here is just notorious, as are all our government agencies. They're a real pain and will often hold stuff just for the sake of it, and often just because they're inept and inefficient, or worse just want to make a quick buck off you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back